• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cant find a goddamn cabin!!!

Aggravated and venting. Every once in a while I love to just go someplace off the map. Leave all the computer crap behind, cell phones shut off in the car and sit around and enjoy the outdoors and maybe a fire. We're not talking totally roughing it, I like a real structure and electricity.

I used to go to this place in northern NH, they charged like $40/night, it was about 20-30 minutes south of Canada. I haven't been there it probably 8 years. Now they charge $200/night. WTF?!? I start looking for a simple cabin anywhere in NH/ME/VT and everything I'm finding wants $100+/night for a goddamn cabin in the middle of nowhere.

There are TOO MANY PEOPLE around here!!!! I'm staying home.

Nice rant, old man. :biggrin:

Get-Off-My-Lawn.jpg

$100.00 a night is a bargin nowadays. The wife and I usually go to Wimberly 2/3 times a year at $150.00 per night for about 2 nights at a time. I too gripe about the cost but once there and no one around plus I can breath soooo much better usually outways the cost.

It just kills me, these cabins cost like $10K on land that probably was about $140/acre and they pay $0.04 annual tax on. Ok I exaggerate, but if I'm going to pay $100, I'm going to stay at a Hilton.

For a cabin in the middle of nowhere with no amenities other than electricity that I have to drive 3 hours each way to get to and where there are no restaurants and the local convenience store/gas station with the old school analog pump close down at 7pm, I'm not paying anywhere near $100 :) :) :)

Good! Stay home and let me and my wife have the cabin while you pay $100 for a Hilton in the middle of some town you don't want to be near.

Just playin devils advocate :biggrin:.

Build your own portable cabin. Problem solved!

hillbillymotorhome.jpg.w300h210.jpg

I think they call that a TENT!! :).
and yes, you can stay at a hilton for $100, so long as it's not a suite, or in NYC or some other ridiculously overpriced area that has way too many people :).

I hear ya!

Maybe another solution is just go camping by the lake.

If that won't work out, last resort setup a camp site in the backyard - relive your high school days.

It just kills me, these cabins cost like $10K on land that probably was about $140/acre and they pay $0.04 annual tax on. Ok I exaggerate, but if I'm going to pay $100, I'm going to stay at a Hilton.

Please... all land and housing (even cabins) is ridiculously overpriced in Vermont and New Hampshire. And that's not even talking about the insane property taxes. Most of the places I have looked at cost more in property tax per month that the mortgage payment!

How's maine looking? We're doing the camping thing in tents in a few weeks. Kids have never gone. I hate camping but don't want to deprive them of the experience :). Bad back + sleeping bags (Even with air mattress) = suckage and I hate those disgusting campground bathrooms you have to walk 10 minutes to carrying all your crap to shower, sh!t or shave.

ah well, i guess the days of a quick, cheap getaway are over unless you don't mind tents.

Last edited:
youre playing in a different league than i am. im not resort shopping here :)
im budget getaway-ing :)

if it wasn't so far, i'd take the family, drive to upstate NY and go camp out in steveny's garage. with the f-car and the truck gone, he should have plenty of room in there now and is pretty much in the middle of nowhere :)

For a cabin in the middle of nowhere with no amenities other than electricity that I have to drive 3 hours each way to get to and where there are no restaurants and the local convenience store/gas station with the old school analog pump close down at 7pm, I'm not paying anywhere near $100 :) :) :)
Wow, thats a bit extreme. Not the cabin I spoke of.:eek:

I just like to go 'off the grid' so to speak every now and then. My life is tech, I'm surrounded by tech 24/7. I carry two smart phones, am always near a computer, my kids are always bugging to play PS3, iphone, ipad, Leapster games. Just nice to leave all that behind for a few days, go hiking, play board games, no distractions from phones.

I just like to go 'off the grid' so to speak every now and then. My life is tech, I'm surrounded by tech 24/7. I carry two smart phones, am always near a computer, my kids are always bugging to play PS3, iphone, ipad, Leapster games. Just nice to leave all that behind for a few days, go hiking, play board games, no distractions from phones.
Reminds me of a recent commercial where some guys are driving and stop get out, look at their phone, say not yet,get back in, start driving, this goes on a few times until one says, ok, now. Seems their driving till they have "no" signal, stop and setup camp. :wink:

Last edited:
Come on down to Tennessee.

http://www.blackberryfarm.com/reservations/ratesandpolicies

A three night stay for a 1,000 square foot cottage for a family with two kids and a dog would be $11,129 including tax and "service charges". That's if you didn't do anything but sit in the cabin for three days. No telling how much fishing or riding horses or whatever would cost with these people. Holy hell, man. Just saw their rates for camping. If you decide that after your stay in the cabins that you would like to camp in the neighboring NATIONAL PARK, it's just $500 per night- and they do not even provide the camping gear!

I think this is just insane. A guy on my fishing board was recently given a gift certificate to stay here and mentioned it. He's a bodyguard for Kings of Leon.

Tennessee is beautiful, but this is just a place out in the middle of nowhere. Does not compute.

That doesn't compute AT ALL!! You could buy a cabin someplace for that sort of cake. I've driven through TN, it's absolutely gorgeous in places!! But it was all middle of nowhere mountains.

One of the coolest experiences I had was when I used to work out at MSFT in Redmond (I didn't work for them, my company just kept a presence on site and I was out there every few months). I drove down to Portland to visit some friends. I got going really late and ended up stopping in the middle of the night at a B&B. Woke up in the early AM, looked out my window and there was Mt. St. Helens. I had no idea I was there. I drove up and watched the sun come up, wishing I had my NSX with me instead of a crappy Neon rental. AMAZING road, amazing views and the devestation that was still evident 20 years later was mind blowing. The point of this is... middle of nowhere.... B&B..... $45 included breakfast and a killer view. I think I still remember the name, Blue Heron Inn. This was back in 1997 or so.

That's a funny story, robr.

Reminds me of my first trip to Vegas. eSpire and Xspedius merger party. We pretty much rented out the RIO. Drunk on the plane getting there (at night), Drunk the whole time. A doctor friend of one of the guys arranged for IV's for our group (in room) at about 5 am. It wasn't until that morning that we realized we had not seen daylight since we left Nashville four days prior. "Coming to" was a really cool experience seeing the mountain view from one of the suites. One of the sales guys there pretty much owned all of the fiber contracts for the whole of Las Vegas. Guido looking dude.

That's my only "baller" story and to be honest, don't care for another.

Last edited:

Going off the grid isn't that much fun when you know you'll be returning to thousands of unread emails and messages. :frown:

Back