• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cantrell Concepts Advanced Header System

Over the past year, Cantrell Concepts has been conducting research and testing of exhaust products and their role in performance, primarily with the NSX. This was started as an experiment to find out what has the most profound effect. Be it muffler, headers, catalytic converter bypass pipes. Also how different products can compliment or counteract each other. Over the course of this testing and consulting with experts in exhaust systems and fluid dynamics, we realized some of the design shortcuts that can affect maximum improvements with different products currently available. Our header design offers the best features of currently available products, with out any of the compromises that they have employed. The results are very exciting. All of our testing was performed with the same car on the same dyno for the most accurate data.

The Cantrell Concepts Advanced Header System is made in the USA from high quality mandrel bent stainless steel. Each piece is hand TIG welded. OE quality hardware, O2 extensions, and gaskets are included.

Weight is approximately:
20 lbs. for 91-94
17 lbs. for 95-05,

Retail price will be 1445.00 for 91-94, 1245.00 for 95 and up.

The headers will be available through ScienceofSpeed and also can be purchased and installed at Autowave for the So Cal locals.

Dyno runs are on a stock 91 3.0, 5 speed. Baseline was taken with stock manifolds, catalytic converters, and exhaust.

The dyno sheet posted is the average result of multiple runs. The results were all within 2-3 horsepower.

We will be releasing a complimenting exhaust system soon that will give an even better performance gain with the headers.

Attachments

• CC Headers Dyno sm.jpg
    CC Headers Dyno sm.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 4,713
  • Headers tag 2sm.jpg
    Headers tag 2sm.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Headers collector sm.jpg
    Headers collector sm.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,545
  • CCHeaders 2sm.jpg.jpg
    CCHeaders 2sm.jpg.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,753
Last edited:
Hi Will,

Nice HP and torque bump! Just wondering if the baseline is with stock manifolds, stock cats and exhaust. Interested to know whether it is purely the headers increase or the Headers + CT Exhaust combined increase.

What year NSX did you test?
Was it a 3.0L car or a 3.2L car.
Are there any other mod's other than the headers and exhaust?
You're in S. CA and suffer under the Draconian bastards at CARB like many of us. Will these be CARB certified?
Will SOS sell these as competition to their SOS headers?

I'm excited to learn more.

Surely you did more than one pull. So, what did the others look like? Similar spread?

ak said:
I would love to see side by side comparison of different aftermarket headers.

So would I. In fact, I'd love to perform the tests but getting multiple vendors or owners to supply just the headers for independent testing is optimistically impossible.

Schmidt said:
Yes, give us some details!

Indeed. Nice output given the stated mods. Would enjoy hearing more.

Hello everyone,
The Cantrell Concepts Advanced Header System is made in the USA from high quality mandrel bent stainless steel. Each piece is hand TIG welded. OE quality hardware, O2 extensions, and gaskets are included.
Retail price will be 1445.00 for 91-94, 1245.00 for 95 and up.

The headers will be available through ScienceofSpeed and also can be purchased and installed at Autowave for the So Cal locals.

Dyno runs are on a stock 91 3.0, 5 speed. Baseline was taken with stock manifolds, catalytic converters, and exhaust.

Dyno results with only an aftermarket exhaust averaged 8-10hp gain over stock.

Dyno results with only aftermarket headers resulted in 7-10hp gain over stock.

This goes to show that changing only one of the components will not give you an optimal improvement.

The dyno sheet posted is the average result of multiple runs. The results were all within 2-3 horsepower.

We will be releasing a complimenting exhaust system soon that will give an even better performance gain with the headers.

Last edited:
ok, why is there always pieces missing in posts of this importance?
Why not tell us the whole story so 10 people dont have to post questions.
Sit down, think it through and do it right.
Now that i'm finished making a fool of myself, PLEASE tell us about the cats and the test pipes. Where they there initially on stock, where they there with the headers and the aftermarket exhaust?
Did you do pulls with just testpipes? Testpipes and exhaust? Headers and testpipes and stock exhaust?
Give us the full meal deal!
Be the hero we know you are and want to look up to.
Thanks so much for all your efforts!
Trev

Test pipes were tested and found to produce little to no more horsepower. The best increase from adding test pipes was approximately 2 hp. This is within the error range of the dyno.

Dyno runs are on a stock 91 3.0, 5 speed. Baseline was taken with stock manifolds and exhaust. This includes the stock catalytic converters.

The stock catalytic converters were in place for the before and after runs above.

GROUP BUY!!??!?!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

1. btcog82 (91-94 model)
2. ?
3. ?

I'm sure we could get at least 10

I would be interested in a group buy (since the Ztek one ended up being a bit sketchy) My only concerns with these headers, specially cuz the dyno sheet is very impressive, are:

1. How is the sound?
2. How is the fitment? Easy bolt on w/02 sensor?

There is no discernable difference in sound between any headers tested. They all make the car slightly louder than with stock manifolds. This would be more noticable if you have a loud exhaust.

Fitment is excellent. Flange positioning was based on the stock 97+ headers. With the adapters to fit early model cars the fit is on par with the best fitting headers available and much better than some of the others. The O2 sensors mount past the collector for proper function.

will you be getting these CARB approved??
Thanks

kevs4 said:
will you be getting these CARB approved??
Thanks
Same question here. Unfortunately, the bastards at CARB have thus far limited our choices to the DC piece and the Comptech headers. Your pieces look great and I'm hoping that since you're in S. CA as well, you'll get the headers and your forthcoming exhaust CARB certified for all of us living in CARB land.

We are looking in to CARB approval now. Until then, the headers are not CARB exempt. Our headers are CARB compliant, but it does not matter if a header is CARB compliant if they do not have a CARB approval number.

I think it would be best to start a new thread for the group buy. I will do this now.

Will

They are looking awesome Will!

Tell me, as you say they will be available from SOS... Will the heat insulation treatment be available?

AU_NSX said:
They are looking awesome Will!

Tell me, as you say they will be available from SOS... Will the heat insulation treatment be available?

Would wrapping the headers provide the same effect?

splitz said:
Would wrapping the headers provide the same effect?

I'm no expert (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ;) ) but wrapping the headers will provide something like the same type of effect but not nearly as effectively as heat insulating coating. The coating can be applied on the outside and inside of the headers thereby increasing thermal efficiency. Plus it looks really cool.

Back