• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cantrell Concepts Intake VS. RM Racing Intake

I did a search on these intakes on the forums and it seems like Cantrell Concepts intake provides a pretty awesome sound, but havent found anything regarding the sound of the RM. Has anyone had experience with the RM intake? How does it sound? I already have RM DTM exhaust, so I dont know which intake to couple it with to produce an awesome sound from my car. Please provide me with any of your insight with Cantrell or the RM intake. =) Thanks!

If money isn't an issue, and what you want is an awesome intake sound, then get the GruppeM. I think most would agree(at least those who like louder intake sounds) that the GruppeM is the best sounding intake.

The Cantrell system is not an intake filter, but rather the snorkel that directs air up from the side scoop into the engine compartment/filter area.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

They are two different things.

The Cantrell product replaces the tube going from your side vent up to the air box.

The RM intake replaces you stock air box with a K&N cone filter.

I see, does anyone have the Cantrell Air Induction System or the RM Intake? How would you describe the sound? Are there any performance gains?

The RM intake draws warm air from the engine bay, this seems less than ideal for performance...

The Uni filter & Cantrell AIS has been a popular pair.

Regards,
-- Chris

Originally posted by cali2121:
I see, does anyone have the Cantrell Air Induction System or the RM Intake? How would you describe the sound? Are there any performance gains?

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
The RM intake draws warm air from the engine bay, this seems less than ideal for performance...

Those who have measured the engine bay temperature have found that, at speed, the temperature is hardly different at all from the outside temperature.

I had the K&N FIPK on my 92 NSX for about 6 months and then switch back to stock with a slightly dirty stock filter and noticed that throttle response is not as good. The sound is quieter than before. I switched over to a K&N drop in filter and it felt a little better. Just installed the Cantrell AIS scoop and the sound is not much louder. http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/001190.html
I guess because I have a Comptech exhaust and the intake is definitely not as loud as the exhaust. I do notice that the car pull a little stronger on the higher rpms. Could be my imagination but sure feels like it. I am very happy with my decision to switch back to the stock airbox and Cantrell AIS scoop.
I was planning on going out to Sacramento Raceway this Saturday but my plans have changed. Would have loved to make some runs and see if my times and or mph's improve with the scoop and stock airbox.
Ken and Chris, you guys are great. There is always 2 sides to a coin and people have their opinions. It is to our benefit that we read each of your views and gain the knowledge from it. Keep up the great work.

Sidney

[This message has been edited by Litespeeds (edited 06 March 2003).]

RM Cold Air Intake System

I put the RM Intake system on my 92, it is the total kit (Carbon fiber to the cone filter and the intake tube down the fender into the drivers side air intake vent), Origiannly I had just the RM cone filter, but I wanted to draw cold air in from the outside of the engine compartment. While I do not have 1/4 mile time runs with it, there would seem to be more of a draw from the vent tube at higher speeds (which would make sense as it is raming the air in), I have 2 problems with this system, the tube that goes down to the side vent is rather "CHEAP" and doesnt really go along with the decor of the NSX, also the vvent pipe goes into just the top of the cone filter, which compared to the overall dimensions of the "AIR INTAKE" possibilty is kind of cheesee (if that is a word), but to RM's defense it works and it is less expensive than otyher options available, I have numerouis pics if you want and will be more than happy to supply some wave files if you would like to hear them.
Thanks for reading.

Brian - 92 NSX
[email protected]

Back