• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Accident Today - Not my fault what should I do?

I thought property damage is damage other than vehicle. For instance you hitting a fence. If they are at fault your car should be fixed or totaled.

I got into a accident " Not the Nsx !! " and we both had Geico also and they hosed me over big time. I was :eek: and wanted to drop them but couldnt find anyone cheaper and I am still stuck with them. Hope you fair better

PS ... Sorry about your car hope it gets back to you 100%

Do you have uninsured/under insured coverage? I would get recommendations from the AZ NSXPrime members on which bodyshops to take it too. In CA, you can bring it to any bodyshop you want and the insurance has to pay.

You could contact Kane of Umbrella. He got some used parts for NSX.

I would PM prime member pbassjo, he owns a body shop, owns an NSX and does great work. At the very least he can advise you about your car and perhaps how to deal with insurance.

Sorry about the car:frown:

What kind of insurance coverage do YOU have on your NSX?

You might have to file a claim with your own insurance. Don't worry, since the other person hit you, it shouldn't effect your premium.

Your insurance will normally pay to have it fixed and then go after other's driver's insurance (same company). If the other driver doesn't have enough coverage, than the insurance compay might end up suing him to get their money back.

That sucks, I am so sorry, you definitely need a rear panel + door + the B-pillar cover, those alone, even used can run you 2-3K ... but 10K I think might work, good luck! :frown:

Value of the car should be determined by market value, correct? maybe I lucked out with progressive. They gave me a lowball number and I said "hell no!". they called back the next day with a better number based on NSXs for sale in the mid-atlantic.

so, if they lowball, raise hell and see what happens.

good luck. Sorry to see that =[

Get a new Door Shell
Get a new Rear Quarter Panel
Get a new Vent
Get parts painted

Keep car. DONT let them take it away or total it tell them you want the car fixed as it will show up on the title

if they only give you a few thousand dollars for the wreck take the Hit and you get it fixed out of pocket. trust me just take the Hit to your wallet.

that really not that bad. If that happend to me I would get it fixed myself.
get the parts from Prime, or e-bay it might take you awhile but you can save lots buying used. a New rear quarter is like 1900 Bucks

that tire well is chrushed in is just the feder liners. the frame of the NSX is like 1 Foot in. so the pics are just cosmetics
your car frame probably wasnt even close to hurting it.

Last edited:
I agree the $10K physical property damage has nothing to do with hitting another car, it is for fences and mailboxes and such. Just think for a minute about what new cars are for sale for under $10K???? It wouldn't begin to cover any average car or truck on the road.

Maybe somebody more familiar with insurance can chime in with all the details.

I'd just let Geico do the claim on his insurance and I think you will see there is no $10K limit. I think there is a chance you might hit that if they do a decent paint job with something similar to the original 24 step process and they price for new parts. YMMV.

The other driver is still liable to you for damages despite possibly being under-insured. In other words, you are entitled to collect from his pocket directly if his insurance won't fully cover your loss. The big IF is whether the other driver has any assets from which you can collect (bank accts etc). Do you have collision coverage on your car?

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your car, but like everyone has said take it to a few shops (some will come out to you if you call them) if you have full coverage (and you own an NSX...how could you not?) even if his insurance can't cover the whole bill, they WILL cover your deductible if you have to use your own premiums...sadly i have found that even when the accident isn't your fault you're likely to see your premiums go up.

I have almost been screwed by getting into an accident on private property before, i raised hell with the local police to get a report even though they said they didn't want to come out. hopefully you have enough proof (or a police report) so that the at fault party's insurance won't try to weasle their way out of paying. seen it too many times to trust ANYONE!

good luck

I know the OP is not in CA, but check out how low the limits are in CA:
Minimum liability insurance requirements for private passenger vehicles (California Insurance Code §11580.1b)

* $15,000 for injury/death to one person.
* $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
* $5,000 for damage to property.

That last part really made my insurance adjuster an unhappy camper when I was tapped in the rear by a Hyundai driver, with the legal minimum insurance, since new OEM NSX parts are so freaking expensive. Not to mention that the $5k has to cover all property damage for the accident. i.e. if he were to hit more than one car, take out a fence, or lightpole, etc. Basically it's enough to cover the deductibles for a multiple car accident. :(

Otto

I would get lawyer up if you think Geico is going to screw you. If the insurance claims is not professional. I would get a lawyer, BTW are you feeling any pain?

AZ minium insurance is 15/30/10 so they only pay out maximum of 10K
The damage should be less than 10K. If you have uninsured Motorist coverage insurance should cover underinsured damages.

However you can sue for the additional damage not covered, if let say your car has 15K damage.

You dont have to agree to the KBB pricing to total out your car. You tell them to find 10 available NSX near your area of similar year and mileage and average out the price. even 91 nsx average over 20k.

Your insurance policy has 3 parts that can pay for damages you cause ("you" being the other driver in this case)

1) Bodily injury liability: pays when you cause the accident and someone else is hurt
2) property damage liability: pays for any property damage INCLUDING THE OTHER VEHICLE (in addition to mailboxes, fenceposts, etc.)
3) (in some states) medical payments: pays if a passenger in your car is hurt. the accident does not have to be your fault for this one though.

Insurance works on the principle of "indemnity" i.e. returning you to the financial state you were prior to your loss. As such, you can argue fair market value / replacement value for your car with the at-fault driver's insurance. They may balk, but will likely not balk all the way into legal action.

If the at-fault driver's insurance is not sufficient to cover your damages, that is when your "under-insured" motorist coverage would come into play (assuming you have this coverage) to make up the difference. The company will then subrogate (sue the other guy) for the overrun.

Last edited:
Do body shops usually charge for an estimate? The damage seems worse than it appears in the pics. The door open light is on but the door wont move and the tire well is crushed in. im hoping they dont total my car and tell me its only worth 13k or something like KBB says.

Almost every single body shop I've been to, the estimate is free. It's free because they want your business.
KBB isn't what determines your car's value. When they totaled my first NSX, they based the value on the last 3 NSX sales that had similar mileage/age in the Los Angeles area and they averaged them (KBB said the value was ~$21K, but I received payment for $33k because of the average fair market value).

Only get estimates for the damage by places you trust to do a good job on the NSX. Be advised that the NSX is made mostly of aluminum and requires special aluminum welding equipment if anything needs to be rewelded. There are only a handful of bodyshops in LA that have this equipment, which I imagine would be the case for AZ as well. Contact AZ NSXPrimers for bodyshop recommendations in AZ. Or just call ScienceofSpeed for their recommendations!

looks about right.

now look at the prices of the parts.

the rear quarter is about 1900 bucks. I have seen them on e-bay and Prime for way way less. like 300.

I would take the check and buy the parts yourself and have your local guy put it all back together and paint it. you might come out on top.

maybe have a little extra to get some bad ass rims and tires or something

but as long as they are not going to total it have them do it if you just want your car back ya know.

now when you drop your car off make them sign something saying that this vehicle will not leave the shops property.
LOT drive only. if they need to test it on the road you will be happy to be availabe to be there with the mechanic

to many stories on prime about mechanics taken these cars for joy rides to " TEST THE ALIGNMENT" and wrecking them.

Last edited:
I saw a few for Mint ones for 299.00 and 2 -3 for 399.00 and 1-2 for 499.00

they are out there trust me

anyway its better than 1900 right?

I got into a accident " Not the Nsx !! " and we both had Geico also and they hosed me over big time. I was :eek: and wanted to drop them but couldnt find anyone cheaper and I am still stuck with them. Hope you fair better

PS ... Sorry about your car hope it gets back to you 100%

Hmm. what's that phrase i'm lookiing for? Maybe it's "You get what you pay for?" You found the absolute cheapest insurer on the market... and they can't help you when you need it? Shocking. Why not spend an extra few bucks a month and not go through that?

Hmm. what's that phrase i'm lookiing for? Maybe it's "You get what you pay for?" You found the absolute cheapest insurer on the market... and they can't help you when you need it? Shocking. Why not spend an extra few bucks a month and not go through that?

I got Wawanesa Insurance. Cheapest rates for CA drivers by far. Had a total loss payout (for my previous NSX) from them too with no real issues and my rates didn't go up.

I used have Mercury Insurance which was ~$2000 a year. 21st Century, AAA, State Farm, all quoted me $2200-$2600 a year. My Wawanesa amount was $1300 for the exact same coverage per year.

From my experience, the "You get what you pay for" doesn't necessarily apply to car insurance.

Back