• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Fans - New BMW M5 Revealed

Tom Larkins said:
Thanks....HP wise and I'm sure traditionally it will be better than the last M5, but the lines on the car:(

I agree with you. The lines on the previous body ran much more smooth. There is something awkward about the current body style.

That is German designer for you, when the last version of the MB S series came out, I thought damn, that is one ugly MB, but after looking at it for a couple years, it did not look so bad.

To me the new 5 series is doing the same thing, when it first show up at the local dealers, I had the chance to test drive one, the new style did not got me excited, but now that a few month had passed, it look better and better. JMHO

Like the rear...not too crazy about the nose. I like the current look of the M5 and M3...not too crazy about the new direction BMW is going.

As a Z3 owner (wife's car), I remember when the Z4 came out, we thought it was one of the most god-awful mistakes BMW had made in the past 70 years. However, after seeing them in person, driving it, etc.. I dunno... started to grow on me a bit. Maybe the new 5/6 series will be the same way.

I don't care for the new 5, but the M5 does look much better to me. V10! wow. I can't wait to see that baby perform.

Now the question is, if BMW can make a $75K sedan with a 500HP V10, what can honda do!

German designer? I thought it was designed by Chris Bangle(who is I am ashamed to say is an American)

I agree with most of the posts. It seems a shame to waste that engine inside that body. That Bangle guy sure has an interesting eye. I do like the current M3, but I'm not sure if he had a hand in the design.
Jesse

You old-school farts can keep your precious shoe box E36 styling. (looks like a 92 civic if you squint)

Bring on the new generation! They finally have some lines, and look different than everything else on the road. I have been known as one of the only ones here on Prime to like Bangle's direction, and proud of it. I am glad that the performance is there as well. I am a very proud BMWCCA member.

T Bell said:
You old-school farts can keep your precious shoe box E36 styling. (looks like a 92 civic if you squint)

Bring on the new generation! They finally have some lines, and look different than everything else on the road. I have been known as one of the only ones here on Prime to like Bangle's direction, and proud of it. I am glad that the performance is there as well. I am a very proud BMWCCA member.

I think you had better buy one pretty quick to help support the Bangled cars! I would of been willing to put down 85K in a minute on that car if it looked halfway decent. The technology they are putting in that car is fantastic and I am sure the M5's will sell well even if they are butt ugly. Go and read on the M5 website and you will see that most people don't like the new design and these are people that own or have owned previous M5's like myself.

NetViper said:
Now the question is, if BMW can make a $75K sedan with a 500HP V10, what can honda do!

BMW can't make a 500hp V10 for $75k either - Autoweek today reports that the USD price should come in at $90k. Still, isn't that the same price as a new NSX?

LeftLane said:
BMW can't make a 500hp V10 for $75k either - Autoweek today reports that the USD price should come in at $90k. Still, isn't that the same price as a new NSX?

Sure is. So you get a V10 with 500HP or a V6 with 290 for the same price... Hmmm....

Closer to $100K loaded up, I already inquired at my BMW dealer.
Sticker will be +/- 90 and your friendly dealer will load in 10k worth of crap. Already a wait list, BTW.

I have a 98 750iL and every time I go in for service, they try to get my to test drive the new 760iL- I agree with most that
the Bangle cars just look lousy- like a Pontiac Grand Prix. The interiors are also strange.
They are selling the new 5 & 7 just fine, primarily because most of them are on business leases.

Back