• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

car lagging, not accelerating

im having a bit of a problem with my 95 nsx. . in first gear the car is great (actually in all gears its ok, if i gently accelerate like a normal driver :eek:) but if i try to floor it or accelerate quickly, while my car is in gear, it revs up to about 5000 rpm and doesnt accelerate or catch. . i spoke with the service advisor at acura and he says its the clutch. . its a hydraulic clutch so wen its good its good, but kan go to crap overnite. . .to me, it feels like a sensor problem, because again, if i drive the car easy, it shifts and accelerates fine, but wen i try to push it, it doesnt catch or accelerate. . that is, in all gears, other than first. .

i just took it in to the dealership and they replaced my 02 sensors (one front and one rear), and my catalytic converter (cuz the sensors were stuck in there tightly) all of which was coverd under the acura emissions warranty. . this was last week, and when i got my car bak, the first two days my car wouldnt start. . took about 10 x's of turning the ignition befor it caught. . now im getting this lagging wen flooring it. .
any suggestions. ..

The sensors located "in/after" the cats are the Secondary 02 sensors. The typical issue with poor acceleration are the Primary 02 sensors, located in the exhaust manifolds, not the cat. They should have replaced all 4 sensors in your 1995 car.

I suspect you still have some bad Primary 02 sensors. I am basing this on your comment:

i just took it in to the dealership and they replaced my 02 sensors (one front and one rear), and my catalytic converter (cuz the sensors were stuck in there tightly)

I will say I am surprised about the starting issue, this is not typically related to the 02 sensors.

Regards,
LarryB

thanx guys. . they will replace the sensors under the emissions warranty only if they go bad. . otherwise, they leave the existing ones there. . i was told by the advisor, that the lagging was due to an old clutch. . and just got a reconfirmation from another prime member, that it sounds like the clutch as well. . .man, i shoulda kept my supra :eek:)

Old Clutch?? The only way this is from an old clutch is if your RPM are jumping, but the car does not accelerate. Is this the case:you see the tach jump and the speedo stays steady?

Also what does an old clutch have to do with it not starting??

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Larry,

His first complaint sounds as if under hard acceleration in higher gears that the engine revs up to 5000, but the car doesn't accelerate. Maybe the OP can clear that description up for us. If I understand it correctly, it sounds like the clutch starting to slip.

The second issue appears to be a starting problem after some shop work. I don't have any ideas for that one.

Sulley

Larry,

His first complaint sounds as if under hard acceleration in higher gears that the engine revs up to 5000, but the car doesn't accelerate. Maybe the OP can clear that description up for us. If I understand it correctly, it sounds like the clutch starting to slip.

The second issue appears to be a starting problem after some shop work. I don't have any ideas for that one.

Sulley

I missed that in the text:redface:. And I retract my statement, that IS a slipping clutch. Too bad it is not the 02 sensors, it would be way cheaper....

Regards,
LarryB

my bad with the verbage. . .old clutch? i meant the clutch needs to be replaced. . thats wat ive been told. . but yeah, while my cars in gear, and i step on the gas, the tach stays still and the rpm just revs like crazy, even at speeds above 40 or 55 (while im on the highway). .again, i have 128k on it. .. not sure when nsx's are due for a new clutch

I was having this problem, car would seem like it was slipping when i got on it hard. Turns out the shop that changed my TB mounted the tensioner wrong, it ended up seizing up and wasent putting tension on the belt. Belt started slipping teeth. Timing went to hell.

If your in kansas, do NOT go to FTW Motorsports, not only did they jack up my car, they refused to look at it when I complained because it "ran fine when you picked it up".

Fusionworks Racing in wichita is the best place in my town. Ray is a genious at imports and probably one of the best tuners in the state.

Good Morning,

I don't know where in the Dallas/Fort Worth area you live in. But there are a few NSX owners. Including myself that has taken our cars to a place called Dealer Alternitive off of White Settlement Road near downtown Fort Worth.

If you happen to take your car in there. Talk to George, he is a great person and will not BS you. He will look at your car. Give you an estament before you leave and if anything changes as he is working on it. He will call you and explain it to you and even show you the defect or problem. I know dealers will not show you whats wrong. They just tell you and ask you to throw a lot of cash their way(just my experiances)not saying they are all like that..
Just my $.02

my bad with the verbage. . .old clutch? i meant the clutch needs to be replaced. . thats wat ive been told. . but yeah, while my cars in gear, and i step on the gas, the tach stays still and the rpm just revs like crazy, even at speeds above 40 or 55 (while im on the highway). .again, i have 128k on it. .. not sure when nsx's are due for a new clutch

you mean when your accelerating under load, the speedo stays steady but the rev's are flaring ( ie: keeps on climbing?) that is definitely a worn out clutch. also if you have 128K on the original clutch you might be the record holder. There is no average mileage for clutch life, it all depends on the driver's skill, and environment. If you drive in stop go traffic for all of the nsx's life, it would last no wear near as long as one that has not. If you like to ride the clutch for a smooth engagement, you will toast your clutch in time as well. If you did a crappy job breaking in a clutch, the clutch will be ruined, and it will never ever grab or hold the power. This applies to any clutch regardless of which car. Definitely keep us posted.

For '95 - '97, Acura had some problems and reached an agreement with the feds to double the warranty to 14 years or 140,000 miles. A number of years ago I received an official notification letter from Acura with the details.

I just had the front primary O2 sensor replaced under warranty earlier this year, and the rear primary one replaced two years ago. I only have 55k mi on mine, but come January it hits 14 years and my free ride is over.

Back