• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CARB SMOG Legal in Cali!

Sup all

I don't know anywhere else to post to share my excitement! I figured only people on this board would understand..:tongue:

I finally got my car to pass smog in Cali!!! After pretty much changing the entire exhaust system and a bunch of research. What an ordeal, but now my emissions are so low, I shouldn't have to worry for the rest of this car's life.

Cheers!

Congrats!
[MENTION=30925]yipiokayyay[/MENTION] Are you the coworker of Leo with the black nsx?

Good for you. Damn tree huggers:rolleyes:
So the problem was in the converters?

Would you mind posting up what you changed/replaced to pass? Could be a great reference in the future.

And congrats, I had to swap my headers and ECU to pass when I bought my car 4 years ago.

dam bro.............you cant come on here with news like that and then say nothing about what you changed, what gods you prayed to, what you ate that morning for breakfast...........SMH

I need help getting my car to pass smog. My registration is due this month :frown:
Having problems with code P0135 and I replaced the sensor. :confused:

+1

very interested in what parts were replaced to get the numbers that low.

@MidnightSun @Dhalsim @Jinks

haha man I am off prime for a few days and this thread blew up. So no secret, here is what I changed for those of you who wanted to know

Original Setup
- Aftermarket Headers (no idea what brand, but definitely not comptech)
- DEC Cats
- Suspicious o2 sensors location

New Setup
- OEM Manifolds
- OEM Piping
- OEM Cats

Basically I converted the entire exhaust system except for the mufflers to OEM. And eventhough I am running a CTSC, my numbers were still super low. Here are the important results
- NO 15mph Measured 34 (Max 695)
- NO 25mph Measured 36 (Max 717)
- HC 15mph Measured 33 (Max 85)
- HC 25mph Measured 28 (Max 50)

Last edited:
Had to have been the cats.
Headers possibly.

Looking to buy an NSX with Comtech Headers. Being in good old California, could I run into problems getting the car smogged? Need to have the "Carb" placard on the headers? Appreciate the feedback. Regards.....siD

I have the dc sport headers and have no issues. Paid 1050 new with the 91-94 adapters.

Looking to buy an NSX with Comtech Headers. Being in good old California, could I run into problems getting the car smogged? Need to have the "Carb" placard on the headers? Appreciate the feedback. Regards.....siD

If I remember correctly, the E.O. number is on a tag that is welded on to the headers. It has been a while since I put them on but they are California legal.

Most likely it was your cats. I have never heard of a header causing problems with smog, unless the O2 sensor locations are all wacky.
What year is your car? Did I read right that you put on the OEM manifolds!?!?!? NOOOOOO!!!!! :frown:

If I remember correctly, the E.O. number is on a tag that is welded on to the headers. It has been a while since I put them on but they are California legal.

I've never found anything to support that the EO # needs to be permanently welded/mounted on whatever parts.

I did ask my smog shop that I've used over the years and he told me that all he needs to have are the EO# so that he can look them online.

Of course I took it to another level by having these made so it looked professional and all of the numbers are legit.

10552510_10203828732297092_556656577881736485_n.jpg

Now I'm not going to confirm nor deny if the legit EO # are actually correctly tied to the part. ;)

But it works. When any smog tech opens up the hood and sees it he relaxes and sometimes jumps on the EPA CARB EO section to verify. Good thing is that our government isn't that elaborate and there are no photos to give an actual match.

The only problem passing smog in CA with the Comptech headers is that, since they're SS, they tend to cool down quite quickly (they're just ahead of the CATS)... be sure to get the car good and hot, then get the smog guy to run his tests quickly, before the headers (and CATS) cool down.

Original Setup
- Aftermarket Headers (no idea what brand, but definitely not comptech)
- DEC Cats
- Suspicious o2 sensors location
Just curious, do you still have the DEC cats? I was emailing Carl at DEC and he says that the CA and non CA versions are no longer in production for the drivers side and they would need a sample to build a we jig if they could even source the proper cores.

Thanks

Otto

Just curious, do you still have the DEC cats? I was emailing Carl at DEC and he says that the CA and non CA versions are no longer in production for the drivers side and they would need a sample to build a we jig if they could even source the proper cores.

Thanks

Otto

I had an exhaust shop mod it to fit for me to get it to fit. Regarding sourcing it, I got super lucky and got a shop's last set of the DEC Cats.

Last edited:
Back