• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

carbonfiber rear stut bar

Im getting ready to make a ajustable carbon fiber rear strut bar.I will keep you posted on the project.I can get the parts for arond 135.I could probably buy one for around that but I like to make stuff myself.Its going to take a little machining but not much.

Well the project is really looking good.This is going to be a really nice compliment to the car.I will post pics when done .next few days.

Well the project is really looking good.This is going to be a really nice compliment to the car.I will post pics when done .next few days.

can't wait to see the pictures~!!!

This sounds to be really cool and I can't wait to see the results. However, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't carbon fiber not be a good choice for a strut bar? It is my understanding that the torsional strength of carbon fiber isn't that great. Having seen Factor X twist a rear strut bar into a pretzel, I would think a carbon fiber strut bar would be toast in a matter of days.

This sounds to be really cool and I can't wait to see the results. However, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't carbon fiber not be a good choice for a strut bar? It is my understanding that the torsional strength of carbon fiber isn't that great. Having seen Factor X twist a rear strut bar into a pretzel, I would think a carbon fiber strut bar would be toast in a matter of days.

Since drive shafts are made out of CF I'm pretty sure it is how the thing is made, so if it's done right then it will be made to take the torsional loads and do great.

Are you thinking of the sway bar? Those are designed to flex in torsion. Strut bars take axial loads primarily, and maybe a small amount of bending with very little deflection.

Are you thinking of the sway bar? Those are designed to flex in torsion. Strut bars take axial loads primarily, and maybe a small amount of bending with very little deflection.

Nope, I'm thinking strut bar. With a very high horsepower NSX and some serious track usage, I saw Factor X twist the frame of their car enough to shear their rear strut bar. It was shattered like a pencil being twisted rather than a clean break like being snapped in half or pulled appart.

I suppose if the weave is laid just right in circular pattern it could hold up well as opposed to a layered block. Though really like to see it in person and tested before I bought into it.

I guess depend on the carbon fiber grade and how well the strut is put together, don't think it would be a problem... I know modern aircraft use them in areas which seem to be susceptible to flexing, then again I'm no structural engineer:biggrin:

Your CF strut bar will be cool to see.

If you could make it non-adjustable, then that would be even better, since adjustable bars have flex points at the adjustment hinges/screws. A one-piece bar would be optimal, but adjustable should work fine too.

I have gone for ride in Mikes car.I know what it has. I am not building this for that.This is for a NSX.But I'm sure it will work full race. Not track tested but.Math and driving have been done. Im on # 3 proto.

Not to discourage you but the top rear strut bar is exactly 1 kg which is the maximum you can save in terms of weight. But I think that's not your main goal, no?

Back