• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Career question

Ok, here's a situation type question for all of those w/ a little more life experience than myself...
I graduated college a year ago and was fortunate enough to immediately land a good paying job as financial analyst at a very well repescted IT company. However, I am increasingly attracted to sales (mainly financial services related,or possibly medical related) positions. The people interaction and the possibility of very good money are definate pluses. The main thing that has me interested, is having control over my career destiney (ie. I sell lots, I make lots of money, I don't sell, I don't make squat). Although I do not have a family to support, or mortgage to pay, I am a bit intimiated by the fact that most of these jobs are 100% commissision based. I have confidence in my ability to sell, but have already gotten used to the "gauranteed" paycheck. So, that said, has anyone here made a similar move? Any suggestions? Thanks - btw, I do not own an NSX :-(, but have found your inputs to be far more mature, helpful and respectful than those on the CL boards. Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by Haus (edited 03 February 2003).]

My brother moved from an IT job to sales. His biggest gripe is the traveling, especially now that he is married and has a kid on the way. He flies 2-3 times a week, and spends the majority of his free time at airports. Other than that, he definitely makes more $$$. So you'll have to weight the pros and cons and decide for yourself. Good luck.

If you are single and are looking for some extra $$$ and don't mind the travel, drinking, and strip clubs, sales could be a good fit for you.

Try to get out of your sales position by the time you are ready to settle down with a family though.

The definition of an entepreneur is someone who realizes that they are alone with complete control of their success or failure...and they want it that way. You can take orders from people all you want and earn a mediocre to a really good living. But you'll never make the BIG bucks and have great freedom working for someone. For all you NAZI's out there...of course there exceptions to the rule...but you can't argue with the validity of the theory. Go after that sales job in a field that has a solo career potential...learn all you can...then go into it for yourself. Real Estate, Mortgage Brokering, and Financial Planning are all good examples of sales careers you can go into working for someone...learn the business, then when you have enough experience (balls) go do it for yourself. A decent professional of any of these occupations can make $250k+ after about 5-7 years of good solid work. There are plenty of other careers out there as well.

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Black

[This message has been edited by tewills (edited 03 February 2003).]

While we're probably close to the same age (I'm 26), I would say while you don't have a family or mortgage or car payment dangling over your head, now is the time to try sales and see if you like it and are successful at it!

I'm also single, no significant other, no mortgage, and I keep expenses low.

I'm in IT and worked as a computer tech, project manager, and now an analyst. I liked the idea of a guaranteed paycheck, and been growing used to it for 6 years now.

I don't have any education beyond a High School diploma and a stint in a tech school.

I'm on my third job now in 6 years. Each time I switched jobs, I earned a 15% hike in base salary. A 5% raise and 5%-10% bonus each year adds up, especially moving up into a new position. I'm personally hooked, line and sinker
cool.gif

You never know until you try. As usual, always keep yourself open for new opportunities.

Good luck,
Sunny

I've been in sales for almost 10 years now.
Sky will always be the limit in your earning potential. Once you master it, everyone will want you.

Make sure you look into something with a base + commisions.

Ohh and one last tip, make sure you save for the rainy days as those days will surely come
wink.gif

I have been thinking about the same move. I work in the tech field and thought the logical choice would be to do tech sales, however with the slow economy there isn't much out there. Have also heard of people doing very well in Pharm. Sales. Have also been researching owning my own business. Looking into some franchise opportunities and already established business for sale.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Originally posted by Haus:
Ok, here's a situation type question for all of those w/ a little more life experience than myself...
I graduated college a year ago and was fortunate enough to immediately land a good paying job as financial analyst at a very well repescted IT company. However, I am increasingly attracted to sales (mainly financial services related,or possibly medical related) positions. The people interaction and the possibility of very good money are definate pluses. The main thing that has me interested, is having control over my career destiney (ie. I sell lots, I make lots of money, I don't sell, I don't make squat). Although I do not have a family to support, or mortgage to pay, I am a bit intimiated by the fact that most of these jobs are 100% commissision based. I have confidence in my ability to sell, but have already gotten used to the "gauranteed" paycheck. So, that said, has anyone here made a similar move? Any suggestions? Thanks - btw, I do not own an NSX :-(, but have found your inputs to be far more mature, helpful and respectful than those on the CL boards. Thanks in advance!

If you think you've got what it takes to make it. Go for it! You're young so if you're ever going to make the leap, now's the best time to give it a shot. I'm currently doing what you are considering doing. I work as a financial consultant and I am paid 100% on commission. I think you understand the nature of the business, which is that this is not a 9-5 desk job where you can mope around and waste time. The only way you find success in sales or consulting, is to go out there and call every single mother brother in the world. I personally think this is much better because of the opportunity to earn what you deserve. And as an independent broker, I truly am able to help my clients and provide them with the right product for their situation. If you are going to go proprietary and just sell a product or product line, that is also acceptable, but IMO is less fulfilling at the end of the day. What you should consider in making the change, are a couple things to make that easier.

1. Try to find a company that offers a great training program. As the first several months you spend in training, you will not be making any money, you want to get through that period the first time, not having to retake any licensing exams.

2. Consider finding a job that pays a salary plus commission. Although these typically lower your commission by quite a bit. Make sure that the payout rate is good.

3. The better sales support back office they have, the better. That means variety of product options, continuing education on usage of those products, and getting paperwork processed quickly so you get paid on it, etc.

Then get out there and hit the ground running. =) Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Darkcyd (edited 04 February 2003).]

Back