• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cars capable of doing > 23 mpg

Do you know of any car that is capable of doing more than 23 mpg in the SAME class like the NSX?

Lotus Elise, 911 turbo, BMW M3

Of this group only the Elise averages 23+ mpg. The others can exceed that figure on the highway only.

I would venture to guess that very few cars, if any, in the NSX's class can average a higher mpg than the NSX; certainly not any MR car I can think of.

Of this group only the Elise averages 23+ mpg. The others can exceed that figure on the highway only.

I would venture to guess that very few cars, if any, in the NSX's class can average a higher mpg than the NSX; certainly not any MR car I can think of.

Also if you consider the new M3 with the V8 sitting under the hood, mpg on that beast isnt very good.

But again most of these cars aren't really built for economy. So the chances of finding one other than the Elise I think might be slim. I was stoked when I filled up after the Tax Relief Drive that I got about 22+mpg. :biggrin: (But then I clearly was not going as flat out as some of you folks :wink: )

I averaged over 29 MPG on the highway over 300 miles. That is with a supercharger. I honestly thought my math was wrong so I double checked everything and that is what I got. I think that is pretty incredible. :eek:

I have owned the M3 (E36), and 911 turbo (993), and had tanks that averaged > 23mpg; in my nsx, when I was NA I averaged 25mpg, now that I have a turbo installed, this has fallen to 18mpg (which is still impressive).

Are we seriously comparing the fuel economy of SPORTSCARS now? :tongue:

Corvette for sure. Better mileage than the NSX.

I have a 6 speed E92 M3 and can do about 21 at best. The car is only rated for 20 MPG highway. Average is usually around 15-17. M-DCT I think is rated for 21 MPG highway. I start the car and I can hear change coming out of the exhaust... Maybe you meant a different M3?

I average 26 MPG in the NSX without even thinking about it...

I almost bought the new M3 and the gas guzzler tax says it all. That car probably does closer to 12 or 13 for most daily driving. It eats up gas pretty badly. Even my 335 gets killed but I drive it pretty hard actually.

On a trip from Orlando to Denver last fall, I averaged 27mpg at 75-80mph.
(Used cruise control when possible though).

you know, if you have to compare fuel mileage of sports car, maybe we should compare how much Gas we burnt in lapping days just for kicks... I know HPDE will vary even more from track to track, and how fast you are going...

When I first started, I could use only One full tank.

Then as my lap time drops, I need to go to fuel up more.. the routine is usually full tank before I go to track in the morning. about 3/4 or a little more half day... and then need another 3/4 or 5/8 tank to bring it full before I get home....

I know fast drivers with Evo and STI fuel up every two sessions. With over $4.20 a gallon, it quickly takes up the nice dinner budget of HPDE. (I usually go HPDE with friends, and we all go to dinner after that.)

I think I hate you guys with the crazy good mileage. I got 26mpg from LA to Seattle when I picked the car up, and I thought that was pretty good.

Of course, I think I have a vacuum leak (idle wanders around higher than it should be, and I swear I heard a small whistling sound from the engine bay), so maybe after I hunt that down it will get better. And clean the throttle body. And replace the air filter...

Okay, I guess I have a lot of work to do. I'll post again if it improves.

Nick

Average 10-15 MPG romping on the car 60% of the time.
I consider that not bad at all.

On the freway back from LA - my wife got 23 MPG.

I think I hate you guys with the crazy good mileage. I got 26mpg from LA to Seattle when I picked the car up, and I thought that was pretty good.

Have to keep in mind environment (hills / stoplights / traffic) and driving technique. It's not an NSX but on my Honda Fit, I get right about 30-31mpg on my daily commute to and from work. Yet I do know some folks that get mid 30's as well as some that get mid 20's.

Check to make sure nothing is going on with the car, but if you got 26mpg, i'd say that pretty good.

Just my two cents.

Have to keep in mind environment (hills / stoplights / traffic) and driving technique. It's not an NSX but on my Honda Fit, I get right about 30-31mpg on my daily commute to and from work. Yet I do know some folks that get mid 30's as well as some that get mid 20's.

Check to make sure nothing is going on with the car, but if you got 26mpg, i'd say that pretty good.

Just my two cents.

Nice I was thinking of the Honda fit as daily driver next year gets 10extra hp and additional features.

In the Nsx freeway 30mpg and city 23 then again I shift 2800rpms and have a light foot.

Cars that get 23mpg BMW M3 and M5 average 23 city and freeway if driven gently as does the AMG Mercedes.

Corvette for sure. Better mileage than the NSX.

I don't think so. If you can find anything supporting this please post it. The best I could find was the C6 (LS3 and LS7) coming in at 28 mpg hwy. The C5 came in at 18/26 and you can imagine the further back one goes the worse it gets.

It's very difficult for a large-displacement V-8 to get better fuel economy than a low-displacement V-6 no matter what gearing you have. Impressively GM is predicting 21+ mpg highway for the ZR-1. Not too shabby for a S/C large V-8.

My NSX easily gets 30 on the highway and I average 22.5 mpg almost dead-on every tank.

I don't think so. If you can find anything supporting this please post it.

My dad gets 29mpg highway in his new Z06 w/procharger (680rwhp) @ 80 mph :rolleyes:

Vetts get good MPG!

My 1995 C4 got about 28-30 highway

The 2002 Z06 get 30+ highway

My dad gets 29mpg highway in his new Z06 w/procharger (680rwhp) @ 80 mph :rolleyes:

Vetts get good MPG!

My 1995 C4 got about 28-30 highway

The 2002 Z06 get 30+ highway

29 still ain't 30. :wink:

I can find nothing other than 28 hwy for any ZO6.

But it is still very impressive. Who would have ever thought nearly 30 mpg for an 11-second 1/4 mile car would ever be possible in 1970? :smile:

Last edited:
It's very difficult for a large-displacement V-8 to get better fuel economy than a low-displacement V-6 no matter what gearing you have. Impressively GM is predicting 21+ mpg highway for the ZR-1. Not too shabby for a S/C large V-8.

Actually, it is the other way around. A large displacement V8 typically has a lot of low-end torque, enabling a car like the Z06 to cuise at 70 mph at 1750 RPM, or at 100 mph at 2550 rpm. Small displacement V6's need to rev higher to generate enough torque for highway cruising.

Car & Driver Top Fuel-Efficiency Surprises

The 2008 base Vette gets better highway mileage that the 2008 S2000, with 200 more HP to boot.

Cars that get 23mpg BMW M3 and M5 average 23 city and freeway if driven gently as does the AMG Mercedes.

Where do you get this information? 2008 EPA guide lists the M3 at 14/20, and the M5 at 11/17, city/highway. Both are subject to gas-guzzler tax, which means that the combined city/highway mileage (using a weighted average formula) is below 15 or 16 mpg.

Back