• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cars running rich?

Ok, tonight I was cruisin with my buddy...he's got a Kawasaki Ninja 1200 (drools)...anyhow, after we rode around, he asked if my car was running lean and said my exhaust smells like it is.

I don't really notice any performance difference, however, my engine is making some weird noises (sounds like its coming from the belts) in 1st and 2nd gear. Timing belt was JUST done so its not the "big" one...phew.

Any ideas on how to correct a car thats running "rich"?

I do need an oil change, but not enough that it would smell that far from normal...

Thanks in Advance

If its running overly rich, you should see some black smoke and your mileage will be worse. And a slight decrease in power.

Did your bike buddy say how he determine if you are running "rich"?

Just like Dan H said, if you are running rich you will be puffing BLACK smoke. Too much fuel, your engine is running COLD, you might have hesitating problem (misfire), which is not as bad as running LEAN. It might however faul O2 sensors soon.

now, if you are running TOO lean (hot running engine), you might be facing serious problem if you dont correct it. You might melt a piston / ring, or fried your engine. Sympton of running LEAN: high exhaust temperture, if you have EGT gauage, you "might" hear pinging noise, which might sound like metal tapping sound.. if you hear some loud metal knocking sound, then you might be facing some serious problem.

Either if you are running lean or rich, i would do something about it ASAP. if i were you, i would start with replacing the O2 sensor(s), then reset computer. i would say this *should* take care of it.

-jjc.
blk supra 6 spds
red nsx 6 spds

actually,

come to think of it, how many miles does your nsx have? if you are pushing 80k, then new O2(s) might be a good idea anyways. potentially save gas down the road, and pick up a few ponies, too.

but, to save money, i would start off with reset ECU (for more than 30 sec.), allow you NSX to re-learn Fuel/Air mixture.. I am not sure how fast NSX learn, but in a supra tt, it takes about 15-20 starts to learn its optimal F/A mixture (maybe it is turbo, so it take longer time to learn) Since NSX is NA, i guess it should learn faster.

Anyways, reset ecu, drive around, after a few restart engines.. have your bike buddy to "smell" if your NSX is running rich.

i might need to take notes on how in the world can you smell if a car is running rich without sticking my nose to tailpipe ;)

goodluck

-jjc.
red nsx 6spds - beauty &
blk supra 6spds - beast

Brian, do you have an AFC or any other type of fuel control On the NSX?

Does your NSX have a catalytic converter on it? If so, even if the engine was running rich, by the time it came out the exhaust pipe it would not "smell" rich.
I hear this stuff from time to time, no one can tune a fuel injection system from smell. It is hard enought to do with a dyno and an O2 sensor.

Feel free to sent him over to check his "nose" against a a dyno and an O2 sensor.
:D

What does the inside of your exhaust pipes look like? If it is running rich, there will likely be a carbon build up -- BLACK soot like substance -- in there.

Of course that may be all burned up in the cat converter, but it is worth taking a look anyway.

With todays gasoline, which is full of additives there will always be carbon in the tail pipe, the only way that is a true indocation or rich or lean is if you are using race fuel which do not contain many additives. The additives do not burn cleanly and leave the carbon behind.

Back