• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cassette and cell phone question

I just bought a '91 and am still in the "pinch myself to make sure it's not a dream" phase. While driving around today, I popped a tape in the cassette deck and it refused to play or eject it. I can hear motors turning while it's trying, but the tape never pops out. Since I don't plan on listening to tapes much (if at all), it's not a big deal, but unfortunately, I can't get the console out of tape mode so I can't listen to the radio. Any suggestions on how to coax it out? Also, being stuck in the 80's, I find the car phone to be an absolute trip. I don't plan on using it for anything other than decoration, but was thinking it might be cool to get my current cell phone connected to the hands-free system. I searched the forums here but didn’t find anyone who tried this. After browsing the service manual, the only connection I could see between the phone and the stereo is the mute signal so I’m guessing the phone is a completely separate system. Any ideas where I can find a connection diagram for the phone system? I figure with enough time, I could use my rusty EE degree to kludge something together. Thanks!

Just happened to me today. Any suggestions. I use the cassette adapter for my Iphone. Same symptoms as posted above. Maybe time for a new head unit.

Thanks,
Bernarat

the first thing I did was rip out the analog phone crap from the car. its a paper weight now in the Digital age.

I am sure you can rig something up to keep the look but most just ripp it out. you can find them for free here on prime. its just 30-35lbs worth of useless weight that you can throw out. and then you GAIN a compartment to store stuff like your wallet and TAPES LOL

but the tape issue, I would try using a small flathead screw driver to kinda pry it up, and hopefully the unit will eject it.

the next option is to take the radio out pull the cover off and manually turn the gear to eject the tape,

third option is to sell me your radio LOL

I have never seen a free NSX cell phone.

I agree the phone is useless weight, I removed mine. I am planing on connecting the hand set to my home phone in the garage. It looks pretty cool with NSX printed on it.

Last edited:
In over ten years of ownership, I've never actually used my cassette deck. Have no idea whatsoever if it even works. And now after reading the OP's tale, I don't think I'll bother trying to find out :biggrin:!

Back