• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cayman Owners

Greetings , thinking about getting a new 07 Caymen or CaymenS
any Owners with opinions (06/07), I would be getting the Tiptronic
auto (daily driver lots of hills and traffic) I have never owned a Porsche
like the stye and drove both , very nice...

Thanks for your input:cool:

Ken

Actually Ted and I stopped by the local Porsche dealer over the long weekend to take a peek at Stuttgart's latest creations. He actually kinda like a white Cayman they had sitting on the floor. I got a kick out of a bright yellow 911 Cab with a black interior but whose seatbelts and other assorted interior acouturements matched the outside paint. Obviously a valet parking poser's dream car. :)

Then Ted got a little weird and asked the receptionist to come over to ask her what the little round plastic plug was on the front bumper (he's automotiveally challenged). He asked her if remving the plug revealed a factory option where an owner could get "intimate" with their car in the privacy of his garage. Even I was embarassed at that one! Too damn funny!

L5-S1NSX said:
Greetings , thinking about getting a new 07 Caymen or CaymenS
any Owners with opinions (06/07), I would be getting the Tiptronic
auto (daily driver lots of hills and traffic) I have never owned a Porsche
like the stye and drove both , very nice...

Thanks for your input:cool:

Ken
Hi Ken.

I am not an owner but my best friend has a 2006 Cayman S that I had the joy of driving for three and a half weeks and about 400 miles last July.

His car is optioned as follows:
1) sport shifter
2) Bose stereo
3) HID headlamps
4) Sport Chrono
5) 18" standard Cayman S wheels
6) extra cost paint (I think it's called Seal grey, it's a dark metallic gun metal grey color)
7) HID headlamps with washers

I actually ended up liking the car a whole lot and I didn't think I would because I originally thought the car looked ugly in pictures (it's actually quite beautiful in person) and the demonstrator I drove when the car first came out left me cold.

Positives:
- Great sounds from the motor
- Excellent transmission. The sport shifter makes a world of difference.
- Great brakes
- Excellent utility. The interior space is great. Ingress/egress is very easy (esp. compared to the NSX) and the front and rear trunks are huge in comparison
- Great headlights
- Fantastic handling. The car is extremely solid, very well balanced with excellent steering.
- Manual seats. While I love the seats in my NSX, I actually hate the fact that they're power as I don't like the weight, and end up moving the seat all the way up and back each time I get in/out of the car to minimze seat wear and make it easier for me (I'm only 5'6").
- Easy daily driver. You could easliy commute in the Cayman S as well as take a long road trip.

Negatives:
- Price. IMO, Porsche is crazy to ask for more money for this car than the Boxster S (esp. now that the Boxster S has the same engine and tranny).
- Build quality. It's my understanding that Porsche has made great strides recently but my buddy has already experienced several minor issues (window's that don't roll down right, a stereo that cuts out, rattles in the trunk) that aren't the end of the world but give you reason to pause on a brand new $70K (after tax) car.
- The wow factor. Trust me... I think that on almost any given road, I'd be quicker in the Porsche than I would in my NSX. And I also am certain that the P car would be easier to live with every day (if for nothing else than the praciticality) but the NSX is just more fun to drive. From the sightlines out of the cabin, to the exotic feel of the cabin and the noises that the motor makes, the NSX is more visceral. And while the Porsche does a much better job of eliminating NVH, the NSX feels quicker and feels more raw. For my money, that's worth something.
- The motor. While the P car is quick and on paper it should be as quick if not quicker than the NSX, it doesn't feel it. The motor makes very good mid-range torque but lacks that top end hit that I think sports cars need.

At the end of nearly a month of driving the Cayman to and from work, on my favorite driving roads here in S. CA and on cruises up and down PCH... I was in love with the car. My brain wanted one. But my heart was overjoyed to be back in my NSX.

For me, I could likely sell my 1998 NSX for low to mid $40K's and the extra $30K to get into the Porsche just wasn't worth it. Esp. since I actually feel the NSX is more exciting to drive.

But the Porsche is a very, very good car and if Honda were still making NSX's I don't think I'd buy a new NSX over the Cayman S.

DA HAPA ,

Thanks for you awesome input !! Great write up !!

I decided to go for it , it's an addition...would never sell my NSX it's just too
well ya know....

Thanks..Ken

Da Hapa said:
Hi Ken.

I am not an owner but my best friend has a 2006 Cayman S that I had the joy of driving for three and a half weeks and about 400 miles last July.

His car is optioned as follows:
1) sport shifter
2) Bose stereo
3) HID headlamps
4) Sport Chrono
5) 18" standard Cayman S wheels
6) extra cost paint (I think it's called Seal grey, it's a dark metallic gun metal grey color)
7) HID headlamps with washers

I actually ended up liking the car a whole lot and I didn't think I would because I originally thought the car looked ugly in pictures (it's actually quite beautiful in person) and the demonstrator I drove when the car first came out left me cold.

Positives:
- Great sounds from the motor
- Excellent transmission. The sport shifter makes a world of difference.
- Great brakes
- Excellent utility. The interior space is great. Ingress/egress is very easy (esp. compared to the NSX) and the front and rear trunks are huge in comparison
- Great headlights
- Fantastic handling. The car is extremely solid, very well balanced with excellent steering.
- Manual seats. While I love the seats in my NSX, I actually hate the fact that they're power as I don't like the weight, and end up moving the seat all the way up and back each time I get in/out of the car to minimze seat wear and make it easier for me (I'm only 5'6").
- Easy daily driver. You could easliy commute in the Cayman S as well as take a long road trip.

Negatives:
- Price. IMO, Porsche is crazy to ask for more money for this car than the Boxster S (esp. now that the Boxster S has the same engine and tranny).
- Build quality. It's my understanding that Porsche has made great strides recently but my buddy has already experienced several minor issues (window's that don't roll down right, a stereo that cuts out, rattles in the trunk) that aren't the end of the world but give you reason to pause on a brand new $70K (after tax) car.
- The wow factor. Trust me... I think that on almost any given road, I'd be quicker in the Porsche than I would in my NSX. And I also am certain that the P car would be easier to live with every day (if for nothing else than the praciticality) but the NSX is just more fun to drive. From the sightlines out of the cabin, to the exotic feel of the cabin and the noises that the motor makes, the NSX is more visceral. And while the Porsche does a much better job of eliminating NVH, the NSX feels quicker and feels more raw. For my money, that's worth something.
- The motor. While the P car is quick and on paper it should be as quick if not quicker than the NSX, it doesn't feel it. The motor makes very good mid-range torque but lacks that top end hit that I think sports cars need.

At the end of nearly a month of driving the Cayman to and from work, on my favorite driving roads here in S. CA and on cruises up and down PCH... I was in love with the car. My brain wanted one. But my heart was overjoyed to be back in my NSX.

For me, I could likely sell my 1998 NSX for low to mid $40K's and the extra $30K to get into the Porsche just wasn't worth it. Esp. since I actually feel the NSX is more exciting to drive.

But the Porsche is a very, very good car and if Honda were still making NSX's I don't think I'd buy a new NSX over the Cayman S.

Great review!!!:smile:

I drove the Cayman last week weekend. The car has great balance. It reminded me of the NSX the way it handles. Really nice seating postion too. The dealer in Syracuse NY has one in Carmona Red Metallic that just looks beautiful. I Think I would buy the 911 though. Just didn't seem like a lot of power in the Cayman S.

dave22 said:
A good friend of mine just bought an '07 S. I'm not sure if he's registered here but I'll point him this way.

I'm not sure what to say Dave. I don't know how to compare the Cayman to a NSX. I've always had a tough time comparing Japanese cars to German cars.
Da Happa did a very good job of reviewing the CS. Only things I can comment on from that:

1. Build Quality: We (I work for a dealership) have not seen any problems with any Cayman's except one, and it continues to have the exact same problem. Unfortunately the car is on its second owner already, so it has to have a few more foul-ups before Porsche will look at buying it back.

2. Wow Factor: These cars are almost too refined. You have to take the newer Porsche's to a whole different driving level to be blown away by them. From what I've been told, getting to that level is tough to do without a race track - I have not been there yet.

I've had my 2007 CS since August 25th, and have only put 1,000 miles on it - most were from last weekend. As a daily driver I love it. It might not be so in California or other major metro areas, but in Virginia Beach I feel like I'm Moses in this car. Whenever I put my turn signal on or catch up to someone, everyone moves out of my way. That never happened in my old M3 or S2000. I'm sure the NSX gets quite a few questions as to what it is even after 15 years, and the questions are the same for the Cayman right now. Gold Diggers will apply :biggrin:

Back to driving. Before the CS I had a 2001 S2000 and then a 2002 M3. The Cayman S has the German/Spartan luxury refinement of the M3, is a little bit quicker than the M3, like the M3 it has the extra weight for pushing harder in corners, yet retains the nimbleness of the S2000, the same "never-get-bored" factor with the S2000 because you can continually get better and better at driving each (same goes for the NSX I bet) - call it the ability to drive in traffic and then go balls out beyond yourself when the opportunity presents itself. In my opinion the Cayman S takes the best of the E46 M3 and the AP1 S2000 then throws a multiplier on top of those factors......if you could care less about a convertible top or back seats.

Ken,

Don't rule out the Base Cayman. You could find that it has adequate power for you, and with minimal options you can save about $10,000. Come over to http://www.caymanclub.net to learn more about both cars. I go by the same handle over there as well.

Poindexter said:
1. Build Quality: We (I work for a dealership) have not seen any problems with any Cayman's except one, and it continues to have the exact same problem. Unfortunately the car is on its second owner already, so it has to have a few more foul-ups before Porsche will look at buying it back.

2. Wow Factor: These cars are almost too refined. You have to take the newer Porsche's to a whole different driving level to be blown away by them. From what I've been told, getting to that level is tough to do without a race track - I have not been there yet.
Just to expand on my earlier post.

I also check out CaymanClub.net once a week or so and I think it's safe to say that there is a small minority of folks that are having the same window issue that my buddy is having. It's also safe to say that there's a small minority of folks having issues with the clutch on the manual transmission Cayman S. Now don't misinterpret what I'm saying... no new cars are free of teething problems (can you say snap ring) but caveat emptor.

I woud very much agree with Poindexter on his point that you almost have to drive the newer Porsches on a track to really appreciate them. However, I see that as a negative. I want to enjoy my car every time I'm behind the wheel and while the additional refinement of the Porsche is welcome on a long road trip, the sheer visceral thrill of the NSX whailing away at 8K rpm is appreciated every time I drive the car.

I saw this and I have these great pics that i use as a desktop, and when i saw people talking about its looks well... a pictures worth a thousand words...

2006-TechArt-GTsport-Porsche-Cayman.jpg

2006-TechArt-GTsport-Porsche-Cay-1.jpg

After an eight year love affair with the NSX, I replaced it 4 months ago with a 2006 Cayman S in Seal Gray.

I still think the NSX is a wonderful car and for it to perform as well as it does depite its age is telltale of how well it it was designed and built...typical Honda fashion. To the CS...

I love my Cayman S. It is my daily driver and have put 6000+ miles on it. Here are some bulletized comment:

Price: The Cayman might not be more expensive to build compared to the Boxster but there was significant design, tooling, and testing expense invested by Porsche to change the convertible platform to a coupe. These costs are amortized over each Cayman and those paying for the car are partially paying for this effort as opposed to spreading it over to Boxster owners. If you don't want to pay don't buy. It is a free market. This bantering is quite amusing. Noone "needs" a Porsche (or an NSX). It sounds evil to say this but if you want one but are fretting over the approx. $5000 premium over the Boxster then you're not really in the position to own one are you? I was able to negotiate $5400 rebate plus freebies so anyone complaining is just unambitious at negotiating. I ended up adding the money saved in options. Also don't compare a 14 year old NSX's price with that of the Cayman! Compare to the last 2005 price and see if your opinions about the price of the car still holds.

Options and their Cost: Yes Porsche rapes you on some options. Frankly I wish they would "include lube" with some of their higher priced options. However the truth of the matter is that you do not need any of these option. Most of them are aesthetic customization options like leather dash, leather ceiling panel, custom colored seat belts, carbon fiber center console, larger wheels, etc. The performance options like PASM or Sports Chrono are not necessary for a car that will already outperform the NSX. Walter Rohrl set a 8:11 at Nurburgring on a base Cayman S. The base Cayman S already has everything you need in a sports car and is better equipped than the NSX ever was. Don't complain about the price if you option your Porsche with opulent and unecessary options. It's YOUR fault if your Cayman S cost $20K more than its base price not Porsche's!

Performance: Wow. If anyone has ever actually driven the snot out of the Cayman S only one conclusion can be had...it is better than the NSX. It has more grip with more headroom. It is easier to recover if you overcook it. It it more controllable under throttle steer conditions. Its chassis communicates better (after learning how it communicates the German way). It's brakes do not fade when you breath on it too hard. The engine has more bottom end torque and is as solid as the NSX lump. The engine sound is awesome but is even better now that I've done the intake mod which netted a dyno proven 13 whp and costed me $5. The chassis feels like it's machined from a solid block (hardtop ON TOP of a solid convertible chassis!). The car is overbuilt and is physically tough yet still weighs in at near the S2000 curb weight. For those wanting more engine performance, the 380hp X51 engine can be installed with little issue and there are several companies providing turnkey solutions.

Civility: The Cayman S is my daily driver (the weekend 997 Turbo is on order :biggrin: ). It is easier to drive in stop and go traffic. It also has more luggage space. The better NVH comes into play here and I appreciate it.

Curb Appeal: I have never had a bad comment about my Cayman. Those who say Cayman owners are wannabe 911 are either jealous, unimformed, ignorant, or posers who only care about what other people think about their cars. I am not interested their comments. I chose the car on its technical merits and its effortless potential of being better than the base 911. I have met so many 911 owners who absolutely love the Cayman and wish they could change their layout to mid engine.

First Year Issues: There have been some issues but other than the clutch issue with undertorqued clutch basket or flywheel bolts from the factory, most have been minor. Again let's not forget the Snap ring issue on the NSX and noone can argue that even after 14+ year, the NSX window regulators still suck. My car, like many out there, has been without complaint.

Service: The Porsche service department is filled by mature professionals who develop personal rapports with their clients. At a phone call, they will pick my car up from my home or work and replace it with a new courtesy Boxster, Cayman, or Cayenne. I brought my car in after 1500 miles for a re-alignment to eliminate the slight factory understeer. The service advisor brought me to their racecar tech to discuss my needs. I drove a new Boxster to work and received a status call in the middle of the day. After work I picked up my car fully vacuumed and detailed and was briefed on the changes by the alignment tech. To my surprice, the charge was $0.00! I received a followup call a couple of days later to see how I liked the setup. I have never received or would expect to see this level of support and attention by any Acura dealer in my area.

Porsche and Dealer Support: In 4 months I have been to 2 dealer organized Porsche Club events. One involved being able to flog all of Porsche's new models on an autocross track all day! I have only ever received oil change and alignment discount coupons sent in the mail from my Acura dealer.

I am in no way bashing the NSX! Again I still love the car dearly. However, I am just adding my opinions as a new Cayman S owner. I wish Honda would get on with it already and release the new NSX!

VictorH..

Thanks for your input , I ordered mine ,S Black/Tan 07 , cant wait ,
I really appreciate your time to write and review ....
I got a kick from your "Curb appeal":biggrin:
so true ...I will keep my nsx , congrats on the new 997 fun :cool:

Ken
Seattle

L5-S1NSX (Ken),

Congrats. You will love the car. Being in Seattle, you'll love how good the car is on wet roads!

Good luck and congrats again. See you at Caymanclub.net.

I love Porsches' just not in love at this moment. There are just standard items on a car at that price point where it should not be an option. HID is an option?

Tan

Tantheman said:
I love Porsches' just not in love at this moment. There are just standard items on a car at that price point where it should not be an option. HID is an option?

Tan

I suppose it is within one's right to disqualify an absolutely competent sports car because its HID's are optional......:rolleyes:

:smile:

Thanks VictorH for the input, I also drove a Cayman a few months back and was impressed with the mid engine layout vs old school rear engine...as I have owned several P cars in the past as well as a couple of F cars....I get bored easy and might pick one up in the near future to play with! cheers!

VictorH said:
Price: The Cayman might not be more expensive to build compared to the Boxster but there was significant design, tooling, and testing expense invested by Porsche to change the convertible platform to a coupe. These costs are amortized over each Cayman and those paying for the car are partially paying for this effort as opposed to spreading it over to Boxster owners. If you don't want to pay don't buy. It is a free market. This bantering is quite amusing. Noone "needs" a Porsche (or an NSX). It sounds evil to say this but if you want one but are fretting over the approx. $5000 premium over the Boxster then you're not really in the position to own one are you? I was able to negotiate $5400 rebate plus freebies so anyone complaining is just unambitious at negotiating. I ended up adding the money saved in options. Also don't compare a 14 year old NSX's price with that of the Cayman! Compare to the last 2005 price and see if your opinions about the price of the car still holds.

Options and their Cost: Yes Porsche rapes you on some options. Frankly I wish they would "include lube" with some of their higher priced options. However the truth of the matter is that you do not need any of these option. Most of them are aesthetic customization options like leather dash, leather ceiling panel, custom colored seat belts, carbon fiber center console, larger wheels, etc. The performance options like PASM or Sports Chrono are not necessary for a car that will already outperform the NSX. Walter Rohrl set a 8:11 at Nurburgring on a base Cayman S. The base Cayman S already has everything you need in a sports car and is better equipped than the NSX ever was. Don't complain about the price if you option your Porsche with opulent and unecessary options. It's YOUR fault if your Cayman S cost $20K more than its base price not Porsche's!

Performance: Wow. If anyone has ever actually driven the snot out of the Cayman S only one conclusion can be had...it is better than the NSX. It has more grip with more headroom. It is easier to recover if you overcook it. It it more controllable under throttle steer conditions. Its chassis communicates better (after learning how it communicates the German way). It's brakes do not fade when you breath on it too hard. The engine has more bottom end torque and is as solid as the NSX lump. The engine sound is awesome but is even better now that I've done the intake mod which netted a dyno proven 13 whp and costed me $5. The chassis feels like it's machined from a solid block (hardtop ON TOP of a solid convertible chassis!). The car is overbuilt and is physically tough yet still weighs in at near the S2000 curb weight. For those wanting more engine performance, the 380hp X51 engine can be installed with little issue and there are several companies providing turnkey solutions.

Service: The Porsche service department is filled by mature professionals who develop personal rapports with their clients. At a phone call, they will pick my car up from my home or work and replace it with a new courtesy Boxster, Cayman, or Cayenne. I brought my car in after 1500 miles for a re-alignment to eliminate the slight factory understeer. The service advisor brought me to their racecar tech to discuss my needs. I drove a new Boxster to work and received a status call in the middle of the day. After work I picked up my car fully vacuumed and detailed and was briefed on the changes by the alignment tech. To my surprice, the charge was $0.00! I received a followup call a couple of days later to see how I liked the setup. I have never received or would expect to see this level of support and attention by any Acura dealer in my area.
I agree with Victor on most of his points but want to differ on a few.

1) Price - Porsche seems to be the only car company in the world that charges more for the hardtop than they do for the convertible. You're absolutely correct that it's a free market and if you don't want to pay... don't. But I think Porsche is going to see their strong sales for the Cayman take a serious dip now that the majority of the "improvements" in the Cayman S are now available in the Boxster S (motor and tranny).
2) Options - I agree that the PASM option and 19" wheel option are largely wasted on most buyers but still feel strongly that Porsche is getting away with murder for the prices it charges. The short shift kit is necessary, IMO. And who wants a red, black or white Cayman. Oops... gotta pay for paint. And sport seats... yep, pay for that. Or HID's, yep gotta pay for that. How about automatic A/C (something the NSX did come with by the way), yep... you're paying for that. Again, it's free market and I've seen quite a few Boxster S's optioned up more than $30K over sticker (well into 997 cabrio price range) so I know people will spend the coin.
3) Performance. I strongly disagree with you here. "If anyone has ever actually driven the snot out of the Cayman S only one conclusion can be had...it is better than the NSX". Hogwash. I don't track my cars and I don't give two lumps of rat dung what anyone does in a car on any given track. IMO, and I was only talking about me, the Porsche is a better sports car (it's worlds stiffer, easier to live with, easier to drive) but it's not more exciting to drive. That's that. Anytime you "have to take a car on the track to truly appreciate it" I throw a flag for bullshit. Most of us drive on public streets and I for one want to enjoy my car every single time I drive it. Not that the P car wasn't enjoyable but it is not, again in my opinion, near as visceral to drive. (And while I'm not comparing apples to apples since I have an Anytime exhaust and Cantrell intake... I know that on paper the P car has more torque but it doesn't feel it to me and it comparatively runs out of steam at the top end compared to the NSX. But it does have a huge advantage in chassis rigidity).
4) Service. Couldn't agree more. Porsche knows that it is selling a niche vehicle to a special kind of customer and their owners club rocks as does their support for the marque. I love the NSXCA, don't get me wrong, but Honda needs to get a clue here

Da Hapa said:
I agree with Victor on most of his points but want to differ on a few.

3) Performance. I strongly disagree with you here. "If anyone has ever actually driven the snot out of the Cayman S only one conclusion can be had...it is better than the NSX". Hogwash. I don't track my cars and I don't give two lumps of rat dung what anyone does in a car on any given track. IMO, and I was only talking about me, the Porsche is a better sports car (it's worlds stiffer, easier to live with, easier to drive) but it's not more exciting to drive. That's that. Anytime you "have to take a car on the track to truly appreciate it" I throw a flag for bullshit. Most of us drive on public streets and I for one want to enjoy my car every single time I drive it. Not that the P car wasn't enjoyable but it is not, again in my opinion, near as visceral to drive. (And while I'm not comparing apples to apples since I have an Anytime exhaust and Cantrell intake... I know that on paper the P car has more torque but it doesn't feel it to me and it comparatively runs out of steam at the top end compared to the NSX. But it does have a huge advantage in chassis rigidity).

Da Hapa,

Actually, I don't think you disagree with my comments at all. Your comments only convey that for you, the NSX feels sportier than the Cayman when driving on the street and that is important to you. I find the Cayman more enjoyable but that is just fine too. Where we differ is in how the two cars perform relative to our expectation of what a sportscar is suppose to be. If we all want exactly the same thing in our sportscars, all the sportscars would be the same; that would be boring wouldn't it?

BTW, the car that ruined the NSX for me was the S2000. After getting it, I felt almost the same about the NSX as you do about the Cayman. Compared to the S2000, the NSX was just too civilised and didn't feel "racy". The NSX was faster but the S2000 was just "funner" to drive. However, I'm sure this NSX/S2000 comment could draw severe disagreement as well. Each to his own I guess.

And again it is confirmed. Acura dealership service is one of Honda's biggest weak points. That alone is almost enough to make me want to buy a Porsche.

Juice said:
And again it is confirmed. Acura dealership service is one of Honda's biggest weak points. That alone is almost enough to make me want to buy a Porsche.

My dealer has basically made my decision to get rid of the TL and get a Lexus instead. So I agree!

As for performance, the Cayman S and NSX NA2 have near identical performance.

The way I look at it, Porsche built a NSX for 25K less with many modern features that Honda never offered.

The NSX still looks better to me. :)

Back