• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cayman S vs NSX

I just saw one! ooh it looked it sharp! Went over and to talk to him about it, but if you had seen the face and the attitude of the guy driving it, you would wanted to slap him. Well, at least hes enjoying it.

SPA_S2000 said:
Wonder what a stock NSX runs at Laguna vs an S2000....

A stock NSX will be slightly faster at Laguna, HP and Torque makes a difference there. Being a V6 with larger displacement a stock NSX will pull ahead of a stock S2000 out of the corners.

BTW: The Cayman S is not that far behind the 997S at the ring with the same driver so it's definetly a capable car, I would not be surprised if it can post faster laptimes than even a NA2 NSX-R as well.

SPA_S2000 said:
I totally agree - but the tough part is that there are two 3.2L NSX times around that. I loved my old S2000 also, and I believe that the two cars cannot even be compared (from any reasonable perspective), but the times are the times.

I just can't believe that and I really do wonder if you're comparing apples to apples. As I understand it, there are multiple iterations of the 'Ring depending on what parts are closed, etc.

I would absolutely believe that an S2K would keep up and probably beat an NSX is a lot of autocross courses but on an open road course where you can really get some speed going, I just can't believe that. Accelerating from 60+ in my old S2K vs. my NSX is night and day.

Da Hapa said:
I just can't believe that and I really do wonder if you're comparing apples to apples. As I understand it, there are multiple iterations of the 'Ring depending on what parts are closed, etc.

I would absolutely believe that an S2K would keep up and probably beat an NSX is a lot of autocross courses but on an open road course where you can really get some speed going, I just can't believe that. Accelerating from 60+ in my old S2K vs. my NSX is night and day.

That is why I say that I take issue with the times, but if you dig up the *official* times for the ring, that is what you will see.

I just found another list of times that has an NSX doing 8:16, which based upon the cars around it, seems more credible to me.

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?forumID=10&threadID=24638&tstart=105

Still remings me of the Navi-Beetle. Porsche just doesn't have the balls to design something really new. Porsche Design is more than boring and really a shame. As it's easy to drive with a lot of women will get their birthday presents. :D

WingZ said:
Lastly people keep talking about the price of a new NSX as being high , but what other exotic can you get for that price? 911 is not now nor will ever be an exotic , Z06 is not an exotic nor is the Cayman an exotic car.

How do define an exotic? Is it price? Performance? The fact that the car was not popular enough to sell in greater numbers?

Let me know the rules for defining exotic.

cfra7 said:
How do define an exotic? Is it price? Performance? The fact that the car was not popular enough to sell in greater numbers?

Let me know the rules for defining exotic.

Not meaning to be or sound sarcastic ,but I think everyone defines exotic ( at as far as it pertains to cars ) as low volume/production model. i.e Z06 not exotic as I see them everyday or every other day....of course I live in Michigan so that's not a surprise.

You're a car guy you know what exotic means:smile:

For me, this is easy. The Cayman seems like a very nice car, but does not come close to the elegance and aesthetics of the NSX. The Cayman will not turn heads and will always be second to the 911, not to mention being very over priced. The Cayman is the Jaguar S in the line up. The Boxster is the X-type. I admit, I have never been a Porsche`fan, just not stunning enough. I prefer a car with head turning looks that also performs, the Cayman does not fit in that category. Now, if we're talking about the Carerra GT, count me in, 440k price tag not withstanding.

Gansan said:
In what way does that statement make any valid point? How can you compare a drenching wet lap vs. a dry one?

You will not find a bigger fan than me, on the NSX Type R. I do agree with Jeremy on Top Gear show, about why Porsche held back on the Cayman S on performance; considering the fact that this car can easily out perform the 911 if Porsche decide to drop in the right engine into the car. Also, after adding up all the options, the price is on par with a 911.

So here are my biggest questions:
Why would you want to buy a base model Cayman S when you know many cool/meaningful options are missing?

Why would you buy a fully loaded Cayman S, if the price is up there with basic 911?

If that's the route you're going to take, why not just stick with the NSX if you own one and is happy with it? I'm a die hard NSXer, if anyone who own a NSX is considering a P car, and not going after a 997CS or TT, than what's the point?

Which led to my comment above. I was trying to demonstrate just how many cars out there would out track the NSX that cost less, even under fair condition. If you have seen the show, you know they like the NSX better. There will be no chance I will ever buy a P car, simply just because I'm not attracted to the look. I will pay extra just to get what I want, what I feel comfortable in, and even knowing something else out there that will out perform my car and cost less. As indicated at the "Tribute to NSX" on 5th gear, two commentators flat out said, "every time I see a NSX on the road, I said to myself - the driver knows exactly what he's up to." The same cannot be said about a P car.

I'm sure die hard P fan will say the same thing regarding their car...

This is an old thread but I'm looking for an NSX now but the prices (my budget is around 30K) for 91-93 NSX's are on par with 2006-2008 Cayman S. Any new thoughts with the passage of time? I'm mainly interested for weekend driving and 2-4 track weekends/year. Looks are for me are the main reason to go for the NSX but for the same price I can get a much newer car with less miles (though I imagine the maintenance is more expensive) and I don't mind the look of the Cayman.

Purchase Price minus Selling Price minus maintenance. Used NSX buyers came out ahead on this one over the past few years. Select Porsche models did well but mostly air-cooled 911s...a decent 993 was in your budget 8 years ago - not anymore. As a P-car owner/enthusiast, your money is safer with a well-sorted stock NSX.

This is an old thread but I'm looking for an NSX now but the prices (my budget is around 30K) for 91-93 NSX's are on par with 2006-2008 Cayman S. Any new thoughts with the passage of time? I'm mainly interested for weekend driving and 2-4 track weekends/year. Looks are for me are the main reason to go for the NSX but for the same price I can get a much newer car with less miles (though I imagine the maintenance is more expensive) and I don't mind the look of the Cayman.

If you are planning to track the car then I would recommend that you consider the DFI engine Cayman S (987.2) (2009-2012).

Much better engine, no power steering issues, no oil starvation issues, no IMS, no problems with ICE mode on the ABS, otherwise you would be looking at a slippery slope with the first generation Cayman (2006-2008) when tracked.

The stock NSX brakes are the weakest point of the car, folks who are serious about tracking end up swapping to a BBK, that leads to issues with wheel clearance and tire choice issues down the line.

Well I hope you went with the NSX.... those 06-08 caymans can be had for under $20,000 these days and those 91-93 NSX's start at around $40,000 these days.

Although, I have to admit I'm thinking of selling my NSX and getting a Cayman GT4 someday

GT4-i.jpg

Last edited:
exactly...the search-ability of prime makes it perfect for look backs...there are so many great posts pre fb..

Well I hope you went with the NSX.... those 06-08 caymans can be had for under $20,000 these days and those 91-93 NSX's start at around $40,000 these days.

Although, I have to admit I'm thinking of selling my NSX and getting a Cayman GT4 someday

GT4-i.jpg

The GT4 is definitely the only Cayman that I would consider getting rid of the NSX for and even then would still be hard. Much rather make them stable mates than a replacement. The GT4 has great looks.

Why would you bring this thread back after 5 years?

I've been looking at the gt4's lately as they are slowly starting to come down in price... So I searched Cayman and found this thread and found it interesting THATS WHY

Why would you even question it?

It happens quite a bit on Prime, sorry if it bothered you.

Btw, the actual thread was started 13 years ago

Last edited:
The GT4 is definitely the only Cayman that I would consider getting rid of the NSX for and even then would still be hard. Much rather make them stable mates than a replacement. The GT4 has great looks.

Yeah that's the ultimate goal... But for some reason I've been infatuated with the GT4 lately and would consider selling the NSX to maybe get one....it's basically an updated NA2 (mid engine 6 speed 385 hp NA six cylinder )

GT4s have an ever growing list of failures at the strut towers, and so far Porsche is leaving the owners out in the cold. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha...right?

Yup!:smile:

Sorry to go off topic, But how've you been liking your 4 series BMW? I'm looking to pick up a 2018 competition. Wondering if you had any issues? As a previous BMW owner, I will not keep it past 60,000 miles though...

Back