• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CC funny smell

Last summer my climate control gave out so i sent it in for replacement. When it was semi-working it produced this mildewy smell. Even after i replaced the CC and cleaned out whatever there was access to, the smell persisted if i used the outside-inside (button right next to the defrost) for the AC. Any ideas how i can deter or eliminate the smell? It doesnt do it if i use the recycle button.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi Angelo,

It is definitely mildew/mold in the vent system.

Try a product called "Frigi-Fresh". Works pretty well, also pbassjo mentioned to me if you run the heater for a few minutes it will remove the smell. He also suggests running the heater for a few minutes before you store the car away:)

Look Here:

http://tri-maxx2000.com/bgfridsysdis.html

Regards,
LarryB

Hi Angelo,

Try a product called "Frigi-Fresh". Works pretty well, also pbassjo mentioned to me if you run the heater for a few minutes it will remove the smell. He also suggests running the heater for a few minutes before you store the car away:)

Look Here:

Regards,
LarryB
thanks Larry. :)
Tried this other stuff that only lasted a month or so. Will try that

Hey man,

I hope the bottled product fixes the smell. It has been my experience that the large white box you see between the dash and the fire wall (ac evaporator) does have the ability to form mold and start to smell, which is what your experienceing.

There is one cross your finger fix and another long-labor exstensive fix... the cross your finger fix is to locate the drain for your ac evaporator... chances are its cloged and this will fix the future mold and smell issues... it may not get rid of the mil-dew currently in there though. The long-labor exstensive fix is to replace it... it requires removing almost eveything from the dash to the firewall... and the evap is pretty expensive... I do have a spare I can sell though for 400 plus paypal and shipping if the bottle fix or drain fix doesnt work and you decide to try to replace the box (labor would be a nightmare bill so consider that)

Hi Angelo,

Look Here:

Regards,
LarryB

In fact, you don't want to run the heater, just turn the AC OFF but keep the fan ON. This will blow air over the condenser coils and dry them off, eliminating the "smell", ie. mold.

Do this about 5 minutes before you park the car.

Just to clarify, do not turn the AC off by hitting the OFF button.
Instead, turn it off by hitting the AC button, it leaves the fan on.

Back