• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Celebrating X'mas with gf's family...

So my gf's family has invited me to celebrate X'mas with them. I have met her family once.

If your daughter's bf were coming home with her to celebrate X'mas with the family, would you, as parents, be expecting him to bring gifts at all?

I do not want to look like I am trying too hard to impress everyone in the family but I do not want to look cheap, either.

My gf's family members include a dad, a mom, a younger sister and her busband, and a younger brother.

Please help! LOL...

How about just a nice bottle of wine, only if they drink?
Or bake a cake just to show them that you are tight with Martha.:biggrin:

How about just a nice bottle of wine, only if they drink?
Or bake a cake just to show them that you are tight with Martha.:biggrin:

I thought about getting a nice bottle of wine but her dad owns a liquor store...

I don't know.

No if you do not really know everyone. I can't imagine them expecting presents from you as you are an invited guest. You can however treat your GF like she's the most wonderful person you know. Parents {like myself} really notice these things.

Frankly, I can't imagine showing up at anyone's house as an invited guest and not bringing a gift, whether it's a couple bottles of wine or some other tasty bit.

What are your intentions with this girl, may I ask? The loftier the intentions, the greater value should be expended on the gift.

Also, are you foregoing Christmas celebrations with your own family to be with your GF's? IMHO this is right out -- not until you make the committment should you start melding holiday celebrations.

Get a $25 gift certificate to Boarders for everyone....+ a card.

Done.

Frankly, I can't imagine showing up at anyone's house as an invited guest and not bringing a gift, whether it's a couple bottles of wine or some other tasty bit.

What are your intentions with this girl, may I ask? The loftier the intentions, the greater value should be expended on the gift.

Also, are you foregoing Christmas celebrations with your own family to be with your GF's? IMHO this is right out -- not until you make the committment should you start melding holiday celebrations.

I've been saving for an engagement ring for 4 months already. Hopefully I will be able to get it in the near future.

I did not think I should go celebrating X'mas with them because I am not part of the family, yet. Apparently my gf really wants me to go...so I guess I will have to

By the way, I am by myself in the US. My parents live overseas.

Last edited:
We need more info as ages and how long you've been together.

My wife suggested that you send flowers or a hamper with things that everyone can benefit from.

Cheers,

AR

So my gf's family has invited me to celebrate X'mas with them. I have met her family once.

If your daughter's bf were coming home with her to celebrate X'mas with the family, would you, as parents, be expecting him to bring gifts at all?

I do not want to look like I am trying too hard to impress everyone in the family but I do not want to look cheap, either.

My gf's family members include a dad, a mom, a younger sister and her busband, and a younger brother.

Please help! LOL...
General rule of thumb, you don't go to someone's house empty handed, especially not on a holiday. You don't necessarily have to bring gifts for each individual. It would seem like trying too hard. Something simple and useful for everyone is good. Even an inexpensive gift basket or a bottle of wine is better than none. If I am the dad of the family, I would be very happy with just a basket of Godiva Chocolate (big one please). Something everyone in the family can enjoy.

Just me ok, those who are super critical on what others type and get pissed off easily by mere text. Don't worry about it and please click the ignore button.

If I were the parent, and the dude (I assume he is at least 18 and have a job) show up to my house empty handed on a "holiday/Christmas", doesn't matter if we know each other well or not. That tells me a few things. He is super ultra cheap, inconsiderate, loser, worthless, asshole, his parents did not teach him the most basic manner. I will tell my daughter to get rid of him immediately. Over-exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea. :biggrin:

Generosity and trying to impress are completely different. Sometimes it is sad when you are generous and others think you are trying to impress. It is important to do what you felt is appropriate. No matter what, being generous is better than being a cheapskate in any given situation. Someone do you a favor, always return it with more. In most cases they do the same for you.

Last edited:
i'd say bring something nice & simple for the parentals... those are the ones you are trying to impress.

By no means are you obligated to bring a gift for each and every person in the household.

However - I wouldn't show up empty handed. Since the guy owns a liquor store he probably appreciates good drink. Maybe take a nice bottle of wine or champagne, or even a good bottle of scotch. I'm not talking Louis XIV, but a nice single malt or even a Johnny blue. Your woman should be able to give you an idea of what the parents are into....and your gift will demonstrate thought and effort.

In my opinion a gift basket with cheeses and crackers and all that sausage shit just screams I just bought this to check you off my list.

My .02.

Pick your favorite Dessert and Wine.. and maybe some flowers.

I'm 25 and she's 28. We've been seeing each other for about 10 months.

oh oh...........10 months and your thinking about spending the rest of your lives together? At least have a long engagement.

Anyway I say ask your GF what her parents would like and go from there.

oh oh...........10 months and your thinking about spending the rest of your lives together? At least have a long engagement.

Anyway I say ask your GF what her parents would like and go from there.

We both just got out of a bad relationship before we met each other. I guess that makes us appreciate each other very much. Basically she saved me from the misery my ex gf caused me.

I am not ready for marriage yet, finance wise, so the engagement definitely will be long.

Last edited:
We both just got out of a bad relationship before we met each other. I guess that makes us appreciate each other very much. Basically she saved me from the misery my ex gf caused me.

Won't go there...

Ask her what her parents would appreciate.

Back