• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cell phone internet questions

I recently switched from a Treo 650 with Verizon to a Cingular 8525. The Treo with Verizon was painfully slow for internet access. Web pages often never reached 100% loaded. Verizon is a good network but their high speed capabilities are behind the others. My primary reason to move to Cingular was the 3G network and GSM. Verizon is CDMA based and essentially North America only.

Cingular's newest phones are 3G and GSM and have near-worldwide capability. My 8525 is an excellent device. It is not as convenient as the 650 for one handed phone use. But with just about everything else it is a different class of device. I finally use corporate and POP3 email and it is very useful. I can use it with just about any website. Speed is very good overall.

Highly recommended.

That speed is probably on wifi mode.

no its not... :biggrin:

this was being tethered via USB to my laptop, and using the phone as a Highspeed dial up modem. I said that was the best, on avg... at least 1mb down and 400k up.

UMTS, 8525, rule!!!

Veriz:tongue:n Sucks

How much slower do you think internet access is on a phone versus a home computer using dsl? Any estimates?

Depend on how fast is your dsl at home. click here to find out. Normally at home, I get about 4Mb/s vs my phone get about 800Kb/s so it's about 5 time slower than home cable modem.
I just tested my home connection 9474 kb/s :biggrin: .

The company that i work for manufactures cellular tower sites (electronics) and switching equipment for the MTSO's. Like most forms of connection to the internet it depends on how many users are eating up the bandwidth but the normal speeds that i see from verizon wireless on a EVDO network is between 400kbs and 1.5 Mbs.

I recently switched from a Treo 650 with Verizon to a Cingular 8525. The Treo with Verizon was painfully slow for internet access. Web pages often never reached 100% loaded. Verizon is a good network but their high speed capabilities are behind the others. My primary reason to move to Cingular was the 3G network and GSM. Verizon is CDMA based and essentially North America only.

Cingular's newest phones are 3G and GSM and have near-worldwide capability. My 8525 is an excellent device. It is not as convenient as the 650 for one handed phone use. But with just about everything else it is a different class of device. I finally use corporate and POP3 email and it is very useful. I can use it with just about any website. Speed is very good overall.

Highly recommended.

The Treo 650 isn't capable of using Verizon's EV-DO network, which is light years faster than what speed your 650 could download. It's available on the Treo 700, 750, and 755.

Well, I just ordered the Cingular 8525 for free! Just signed a 2 year contract and also got reduced rates through Cingular Premiere. Any tips or hints on this phone?

Yeah I saw the 8525 deal for Premier account holders (and how to order it even if you aren't), but I didn't want to pay the $30 for data and go through the headache of adding a line, transferring my number and then canceling my current line.

For lots of reading, I'd check out www.howardforums.com

After sitting here thinking about it for a few minutes, I decided what the hell, might as well jump on it at this price. If you want one, go here and use a gmail address to qualify:

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

Total Order Summary
Monthly Charges** One-Time Charges*
Order Subtotal $79.98 $36.00
Shipping $0.00 $0.00
Estimated Tax TBD $0.00
Order Totals $79.98 $36.00

So I paid $36 now, and basically after 30 days I'll cancel and pay the $175 early termination fee if I can't roll this into my current family account. Then I'll just use the SIM card from my current PDA.

Thanks for the Howardforum link. Can you tell me what it means to "tether"? My guess is that somehow I can hook up the phone to a laptop and get internet access?

Thanks for the Howardforum link. Can you tell me what it means to "tether"? My guess is that somehow I can hook up the phone to a laptop and get internet access?

yes, that's tethering.

now that i just bought one, i actually went looking for forums. this is probably where you want to go even more so than howard forums:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=254

first thing i'm doing is upgrading this to WM6

T-Mobile + Pharos 600e = :)

Just bought the Pharos 600e. Fully unlocked quad band phone with:

- Real GPS (not triangularization BS) with no service fully integrated maps of US and Canada (real time traffic and world maps optional)

- PocketPC Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and of course Outlook (with integration into GPS)

- T-Mobile $39 for 1000 min + $20 unlimited high speed Internet (well high speed for a phone)

- 1 touch configuration with major carriers (just drop in your SIM and you are off)

- Voice Command built in (coolest thing ever for a cell phone,)

- WiFi

- BlueTooth

- 1 touch tethering (use your phone as a modem for your PC built in with nothing to do but use it)

- Terminal services (I monitor about 20 servers and can do so from anywhere now)

- 2 MP Camera phone with Video and Flash

- Plays MP3, Video, Picture slide shows, integrated with WMP 11 with shuffle playlist sync.

- Built in IM, MSN, Google Maps, Auto upload to blogs with pictures and videos, and about 1000 things more I am still playing with.

I did get the superb SPB products although it came with several for free and was well accessorized including a suction mount, 2 GB micro SC card, car charger, home charger, and USB.

This has to be the coolest phone I have ever had and for $60 with high speed unlimited T-Mobile Internet, unlocked, WiFi, and GPS - it is the all in one gadget I was hoping for.

FWIW you might want to check it out.

The Pharos doesn't quite cut it for me, I have to have the real keyboard and also I was really looking for HSDPA/UMTS. I'll miss GPS (my current PDA has built in GPS - HP HW6515) but now that my daily driver has built in Nav, I don't think I'll miss it all that much (and there's always bluetooth GPS if I do).

I agree, Voice Command is a must. I cannot live without my Microsoft Voice Command.

The 8525 isn't perfect either, I'm really waiting for the Kaiser, but for nearly free, what the hell, it will do for now.

This phone kicks ass. I don't know where all the keys are yet, but I will learn. Btw I am posting this from the 8525.

I'm sending my new 8525 back, its OK but I was disappointed by the screen size as compared to my current phone. It has higher resolution but is significantly smaller. I upgraded it to WM6 briefly and played around with it, it's a slick device but I think I'll hold out for the Kaiser.

I'm still holding out for the iphone. If it is any good, I will sell the 8525 on Ebay. They are fetching around $400!

I'm still holding out for the iphone. If it is any good, I will sell the 8525 on Ebay. They are fetching around $400!

The iPhone and 8525 are two entirely different classes of phones. One is targeted at the general consumer who doesn't need a smart phone, the other is a Windows based mini-PC for the business person on the go who needs internet, email, windows applications, etc.

Do you think the iphones internet capabilities will be just as good as the 8525? My 1st priority in a phone is surfing the net from it.:)

Do you think the iphones internet capabilities will be just as good as the 8525? My 1st priority in a phone is surfing the net from it.:)

IMO not even in the same league, but I'm just making guesses on a phone nobody really knows all that much about. The iPhone is not 3G UMTS (or 3.5G HSDPA) like the 8525, so you're stuck at EDGE speeds (or WiFi), plus no hardware keyboard is a deal breaker for me. (Not to mention all the other deal breakers that go along with it, such as no SD/microSD, and no 3rd party applications - note I've heard rumors this may change, but right now as far as I'm aware, this is the latest info that Apple has publicly announced). The only plus is probably the screen resolution (480x320 vs the 8525 320x240). No idea if the iPhone will allow screen rotation like the 8525.

This is a silly question but how do I know that I am using 3g versus edge? Or, are they same thing? I've been looking for a 3g icon on my phone but cant seem to find it. I appreciate all the help robr.

This is a silly question but how do I know that I am using 3g versus edge? Or, are they same thing? I've been looking for a 3g icon on my phone but cant seem to find it. I appreciate all the help robr.

If it displays a G, you only have GPRS or EDGE (it doesn't differentiate visually), if you see a U, then you have UMTS (3G). The non-Cingular WM6 rom I briefly installed also showed H for HSDPA (3.5G) but I don't believe you'll see that with stock Cingular firmware.

Ok, I see a "U" and a small capital "E" right next to it. I assume I am running on 3g?

Back