• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

center console removal tips

DPC

Does anyone have or know where I can get the factory manual instructions for removing the center console. We are trying to replace the air sensor fan. Thanks.

It's very easy. Follow these steps.
1) Remove clock-It slides right out and exposes two screws.
2) Open center console and remove plate on bottom. Yes it is a felt covered plate! You will see four screws.
3) Remove ash tray. Screws under there too.
4) Remove all screws visible in all locations mentioned above.
5) Push on sides of shift knob and where it joins boot, lower boot and unscrew knob.
6) The console should now slide off easily.

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
It's very easy. Follow these steps... (snip great step by step instructions)

Done with the surgical precision that I would expect from olde Doc Lane. While we are at it Doc... "I have this tooth...".
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Originally posted by G-man:
"I have this tooth...".
smile.gif

[/B]

G-Man, If you only have one tooth, I reccommend Implants!! You can call my office for an appointment, or you can schedule one via this bulletin board.

Have a nice day!
-Dr. Lane

One thing that can be very difficult is removing the top vents once the clock is removed.

There are two small reatiner clips along the bottom edge of the vent.

The best way to undo the clips is to take a plastic card (Your license/ID will work) and carefully slide it up into the gap along the bottom side of the top vents.

The illustration is provided to show the relative location of the clips.

clips.jpg

------------------
Please visit http://www.nsxparts.com. The best place to buy and sell parts for your NSX.

>>The best way to undo the clips is to take a plastic card (Your license/ID will work) and carefully slide it up into the gap along the bottom side of the top vents.

This is a GREAT tip! Thanks. It sure beats the SM idea of using a screwdriver covered with a shop towel. EVERYONE who removes their center console should know this.

I have a question...How do you take out the clock? DO you use a credit card to take it out as well? I don't want to mess up my dash or anything else as I am trying to take out my center console. The clock seems to be the hardest thing for me to take out. Can anyone tell me the best way to get it out? Thanx, Shawn

Take your thumbs and put them in the cavity where the clock is located. Using oposing force, press out towards the sides of the car while pulling forward. The clock will pop out. Some are harder to get out depending on the tension on the clips. If you can not get it, have a friend lightly pry on the clock from the outer edges while you repeat the above motion.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

------------------
Please visit http://www.nsxparts.com. The best place to buy and sell parts for your NSX.

Hey guys - great info! Just tried some of the steps out on my car. The clock, center vent and shift boot all came apart nicely.
Having a problem with the bottom of the console box. Does not seem to want to release. Mine's a '95 with the two-part upper armrests. Any advice?

Got the bottom of the armrest console out last night. It apparently is just like the earlier cars. Took a small flat blade screwdriver along the drivers side of the bottom and caught the edge of the bottom. It then released and exposed the 4 screws that hold the armrest in place. The console removal was a piece of cake!
I'm finally dealing with the a/c control module and attempting the capacitor repair.
It's starting to get warm here in Tampa.Need to get it fixed in time for the SE Regional Meet.
Thanks to the Doc for his quick advise!
Also the credit card idea works great!
Tom

Back