• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Center consoles

I'm very confused on this console now, have heard differing things. Someone should call SOS and get some clarity about the current inventory.

Since you started this thread that someone should be you:wink::biggrin:

Since you started this thread that someone should be you:wink::biggrin:

I have real sports teams to follow here, you are the one with time because of your one shitty team, so I think it should be YOU.

Now that I think back, my SOS/DF console was laser cut for single din radio. I'll try and find it in my garage tonite. It's weird the SOS pics you guys are posting have no cutout.

I have real sports teams to follow here, you are the one with time because of your one shitty team, so I think it should be YOU.

Since when did your teams play 24/7. Besides the Celtics aren't worth watching this year so that should give you time. Plus you seem to find the time to post here and ask for someone to call for you.:wink:

Last edited:
fight!fight!fight! :biggrin:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 87
I'm very confused on this console now, have heard differing things. Someone should call SOS and get some clarity about the current inventory.

they said they used to have the mounting tabs but they kept breaking, so they did away with it.

I'm confused here:confused:. My SOS came with all fact. mounting holes and the finish "satin} was rather smooth. Unless they've changed design! All the retaining holes were there and looked incredibly OEM. Maybe Chris should chime in on this.

it was smooth, but i guess what i meant to say was it was poorly finished and there was a deep scratch in mine. even if it wasn't scratched, you would still need to get it painted for a clean look.

Now that I think back, my SOS/DF console was laser cut for single din radio. I'll try and find it in my garage tonite. It's weird the SOS pics you guys are posting have no cutout.

The console you're refering to is the Downforce plastic formed center console. This console is no longer available. The console others are refering to is the ScienceofSpeed center console, shown here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ.../NSX/ScienceofSpeed/composite_center_console/

cheers,
-- Chris

it was smooth, but i guess what i meant to say was it was poorly finished and there was a deep scratch in mine. even if it wasn't scratched, you would still need to get it painted for a clean look.

Yes, the consoles we sell should be painted before installation. They have a black gelcoat finish. Because the consoles are not precut (due to the fact that different double DIN stereos have different requirements for the opening) - painting them before hand would not work since the finish would be damaged when it is cut by the installer.

-- Chris

Chris, so we have to glue the coin tray and shifter boot?

Yes, and it is quite easy. By using a small bead of silicone adhesive, the coin tray and shift boot are securely held in place. If you ever want to revert back to the factory console, it is easy to remove the two pieces by using a razor to cut the bead in half, remove the components, and remove the glue residue by pulling the remaining bead half away. I understand when you hear "glue" it sounds bad - but trust me, it is easy to do, and easy to remove.

We have considered a set of three brackets that are secured to the back of the console that the components would then screw to, however, feedback from the customers we polled decided this wasn't worth the ~ $100 extra charge for the formed brackets and labor to glass the brackets in. If you feel otherwise, I would like to know.

thank you,
-- Chris

decided this wasn't worth the ~ $100 extra charge for the formed brackets and labor to glass the brackets in. If you feel otherwise, I would like to know.

thank you,
-- Chris

Well my concern is what happens when someone preses down with some force on the coin tray? Silicone is not very strong. It flexes. It rips. If that kind of thing will happen to either part, then I would have to fabricate brackets myself. And if I am going to waste all the time and money on that, I would rather pay the $100 and get something already done right. I guess I still don't know why the provisions for this aren't molded in. Was it just lost on the mold?

How is the fit with this part itself? I have seen a lot of consoles that aren't too good. I guess its a difficult part to make.

fitment is pretty good. i needed a new center console anyways as mine was cracked, so considering the price and all, it isnt bad.

Well my concern is what happens when someone preses down with some force on the coin tray? Silicone is not very strong. It flexes. It rips. If that kind of thing will happen to either part, then I would have to fabricate brackets myself. And if I am going to waste all the time and money on that, I would rather pay the $100 and get something already done right. I guess I still don't know why the provisions for this aren't molded in. Was it just lost on the mold?

How is the fit with this part itself? I have seen a lot of consoles that aren't too good. I guess its a difficult part to make.

The bond is very strong. You'd need to deliberately push with considerable force. Unfortunately, these features would not be possible to mold in with the composite console due to the high precision required. With your interest, we'll look at offering brackets again.

regards,
-- Chris

This was done with the OEM console for my Alpine 7998 Phantom Face radio. Now replaced with an Alpine iDA-X305.
IMG_8223.JPG

can you tell us more about how u did the cup holder?

any good body or stereo guy could make that. just a matter of working with fiberglass and bondo.

I got mine and first off, the finish is rough... you HAVE TO paint it. I wasn't planning to, but it really is in rough shape. Additionally, there are no provisions for mounting the shifter boot and coin tray. They recommend you use silicone. Needless to say I wasn't happy. If I had to do it again, I'd stick with the OEM center console. It is a sturdy piece though and I doubt it would sag. The fit I will find out when the silicon dries and it is installed.

Thanks for the great info man, I was going to waste my money on that exact piece.

Tuan

Thanks for the great info man, I was going to waste my money on that exact piece.

Tuan

I don't think its fair to say "waste money". It is a very resonably priced center console made of a material that is sturdy and apparently has a good fit, unlike most others. Obviously as they state, you need to paint it. If it came painted as Chris says, you'd ruin the finish cutting it. It has no cuts so that you can get your cut to be perfect for YOUR particular radio. It definitely serves a need for someone wanting to do a bit of work to make things perfect. It isn't a "ready to install" unit, SOS never claimed it be, and such a thing can't be made anyway! Every single custom radio job here has custom work done on the center console. So is it fair to say the SOS is a waste because you have to paint when you have to cut, smooth, sand, bondo and paint a factory console JUST AS WELL? And then you have ruined an even more expensive factory item.

Lets give some credit where its due and at least be happy someone like SOS has a product like this, otherwise we would have no choice but to mangle factory ones at a lot more cost/time/labor.

to be fair, it does not say it needs to be painted on the website... and the photo appears to be well finished. i just wanted a radio delete center console that isnt carbon fiber.

to be fair, it does not say it needs to be painted on the website... and the photo appears to be well finished. i just wanted a radio delete center console that isnt carbon fiber.

HBui39, it does say that on their site:

"The console is unfinished, and can be painted to match the factory finish"

That's pretty clear to me that it needs finish and paint.

I don't think its fair to say "waste money". It is a very resonably priced center console made of a material that is sturdy and apparently has a good fit, unlike most others. Obviously as they state, you need to paint it. If it came painted as Chris says, you'd ruin the finish cutting it. It has no cuts so that you can get your cut to be perfect for YOUR particular radio. It definitely serves a need for someone wanting to do a bit of work to make things perfect. It isn't a "ready to install" unit, SOS never claimed it be, and such a thing can't be made anyway! Every single custom radio job here has custom work done on the center console. So is it fair to say the SOS is a waste because you have to paint when you have to cut, smooth, sand, bondo and paint a factory console JUST AS WELL? And then you have ruined an even more expensive factory item.

Lets give some credit where its due and at least be happy someone like SOS has a product like this, otherwise we would have no choice but to mangle factory ones at a lot more cost/time/labor.

True, I just want a console with no wholes since I am going to delete the radio. I am just not a big fan of glue and had no clue you had to do that if you bought that console.

HBui39, it does say that on their site:

"The console is unfinished, and can be painted to match the factory finish"

That's pretty clear to me that it needs finish and paint.

see how it is tacked on at the end? it wasn't there before.. :wink:

Love the look of ChrisNSX console. Did you do that yourself? You guys think body shops can replicate something like that by modifying the OEM?

I was able to convert my stock console to accept a double DIN. Used the Science of Speed double DIN bracket. Cut hole in the stock console and used epoxy and bondo to fill in around the head unit. Took many hours to get it perfect. Then had a body shop spray it.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg