• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cereal

Please pardon my ramblings. It's late for me. I just need to vent like the rest of you have, so I'll take my turn now.

I have to admit, I spend 99% of my time on Prime these days reading about the mass displeasure in regards to the ASCC. I also agree with 99% of you.

When I bought my NSX, my other choices were s2000, 350Z, STi. Please don't blast me for my runner-ups, I chose well. I won't bore you with my thought process in choosing, but as it likely was with most of you, even a 10 year old NSX is better than any of those others. It's reliable. It performs well. It's a beautiful car. I don't see others every day on the road. A truly affordable exotic.

I really don't think the ASCC is as ugly as some of you. Have you seen that "Advanced Sedan Concept"? Wow...people hit that on the head. Put up the Bat-signal, Gotham is under attack.

When General Mills sees Lucky Charms sales drop, what do they do? They add a differently shaped marshmallow in a new color. That's it. That's what we want. We don't want to open the box and dump Count Chocula in our bowls. We want updated Lucky Charms.

Acura is calling the ASCC (Count Chocula) the next NSX (Lucky Charms). That's the criticism. When Honda discontinued the Del Sol, they didn't promise another one. Maybe they should have. The headline could read:"Honda ready to introduce the next generation Del Sol with Real Time all wheel drive and a bigger trunk." Then, in Detroit, below a picture of the Del Sol, on a spinning platform and disco lights and fog, they pull the cover off the Element. OHHHHHH, AHHHHHH. That's what happened. That's the letdown. For some the Element is wonderful; for those expecting a Del Sol.....well, the motor is still in the front. Great job.

For me personally, I would have assumed they just say the NSX is discontinued. Then they could have rolled out a new 500HP car a year later and it would appeal to many people. Most of us would still be here whining about the NSX being gone and talking about what car to go with instead.

For those of you who love the new ASCC, enjoy. Really. It'll be a kick ass car performance-wise. I understand why it will be liked. You should understand why it will be disliked. The simple answer: it is not an NSX.

That's it, that's all, and thanks for coming out.

Without RSX, Acura loses personality

2006 will be last year for coupe: Luxury division left with rebranded Hondas that are good, but don't attract enthusiasts

JOHN LEBLANC, CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, July 05, 2006

It's official: Driving enthusiasts can now strike Acura off their gotta-have-it lists. Because, following last year's dismissal of its groundbreaking NSX mid-engined sports car, Acura has confirmed that its lively RSX sports coupe has been given the bum's rush as well.

As the last nut and bolt of personality left in Acura's lineup, enthusiasts forgave Acura's marketing gurus for ditching the legendary Integra badge with the more corporate brand-friendly alphanumeric RSX when the car debuted in 2002. The RSX's predecessor, the front-wheel-drive, four-cylinder Integra, through four generations beginning in 1986, established Acura's credibility with enthusiasts - particularly with the legendary Type R, which is still coveted by those in the know. Although not as raw as the Integra, the new RSX was, and still is, one of the best-handling front-wheel-drive cars extant. Its $30,000 price tag means you don't have to hold a key to the executive washroom to buy one. And what's replacing the RSX in Acura showrooms? This summer, Acura will introduce the RDX all-wheel-drive crossover.

Also on the Acura SUV front, a redesigned MDX pops up this fall.

So what are enthusiasts left with when they drop into their friendly neighbourhood Acura store?

For starters, there's a really nice Honda Civic sedan clone called an Acura CSX. Playing with its available racing-inspired paddle shifters may distract you long enough to forget that a five-door version of Volkswagen's new GTI or the Mazdaspeed3 are arriving later this summer.

Next up is Acura's so-called BMW 3 Series fighter, the TSX. It's (again) a really nice Honda sedan, this time a European Accord. However, no coupe, no sports wagon, no sixes - er, no thanks.

Acura calls its next biggest sedan, the TL, a 3 Series fighter as well. It's a really, really nice version of (this time) an American V6 Accord. Loaded with high-tech goodies such as a navigation system and Bluetooth connectivity, it's the choice for those who like the thought of a sports sedan, but without all that nasty business of (God forbid) rear-wheel drive.

Then there's Acura's idea of a luxury sports sedan - the RL. If the ol' memory banks are firing blanks, you're not alone. The last time an Acura flagship was on anyone's radar was the early 1990s. Paula Abdul was a pop star - not judging them - and Acura's largest sedan was known as the Legend. Since then, it seems as if Acura, by sticking with a smallish, front-drive V6 for its flagship sedan, has had its head buried in quicksand by refusing to recognize the rear-wheel-drive V8 Lexus LS as the segment's benchmark. And the new RL introduced last year? A smallish sedan with a V6. But, hey, at least this time it has all-wheel drive.

From a brand that likes to talk the talk with the likes of Audi, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus, Acura has left driving enthusiasts with a lineup of sedans and sport-utility vehicles that simply don't walk the walk. Nice, reliable vehicles, for sure. But they're lacking the passion that's supposed to be part of the value equation of any premium brand. It's what you're paying extra for, right?

Why the middle finger to enthusiasts, a group that other manufacturers cater to as potential evangelists to the mainstream buyer? Acura Canada will argue that 2005 was its best sales year ever with 2,103 units sold. Of course, Lexus had a pretty good year, too. It managed to sell 10,108 cars here.

Whatever. After the 2006 RSXs have been cleared from dealers' lots, so is the passion from the Acura lineup. That's it, that's all, and thanks for coming out.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2006

SOURCE:
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazet....html?id=b6cf5f62-5aad-4188-a4c9-054259567815

I swear that letter must have been written by my long lost twin...

The last sentence brings it all home. Sales of 2,000 vs 10,000+ for Lexus. I bet Lexus sold twice as many IS300s than all models of Acura combined!

Back