• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cerritos Acura

Although there is overwhelming evidence here that Cerritos Acura is a great place to take your NSX (because of Jon Martin), I wish I could say my experience with them was the same. Always having been wary of taking a car like this to a dealership, a few weeks back I decided to take a chance and go in for a scheduled oil change as a "test run" at Cerritos Acura just to see how they would treat it. I asked for Jon, but was told he doesn't work on weekends. Fair enough, I thought, as the service guys back there I'm sure have seen plenty of NSXs based on what I've heard from people on this board. One of the little tests I do is I turn my radio and sound system completely off (I have an aftermarket double-din) to see if anyone tries to play with the system while they have the car. So, I gave them my pre-supplied oil, and let them go to work.

When the car was done, I was called in by the service manager who told me my rear brake pads were well worn, almost shot in fact, with 2mm or less of pad left. Yikes, I thought. I had 92000 miles, so I thought it was possible... but we'll come back to that.

When I got the car back, the stereo was on, and switched to one of my later radio presets. It was previously set on my ipod before turned off. So not only was the stereo turned on, it was definitely played around with back there. That's not at all professional (this is not some cheap shop right?), and not comforting.

Leery of the feeling I got from the dealer that day, I decided to go back to Niguel Motors and schedule the rear brake job with Ramon, whose price for brakes were much better anyway. A couple weeks later when I went in after they ordered the pads for me, they put my car up on the lift. After removing the rear wheels, they asked who told me I had only 2mm of pad left. I told them Cerritos. They told me it must have been a slow day. Much to my surprise, they showed me how at least HALF of the original pad was still remaining on both sides, in really good shape, and certainly was no where near to being worn out. I was biting my lip at almost getting suckered by yet ANOTHER highly touted dealership trying to gouge my wallet while losing my trust. On top of that, they showed me that my clutch fluid level was almost dry (looks like Cerritos overlooked the general fluid checks) and showed me that I had that not uncommon clutch fluid leak based on my damp driver side carpet. They were going to have to order parts for that and have me come back another time for the clutch fix, but in the meantime they didn't charge me anything for the cancelled brake pad change and all the inspections they did. They still said the Cerritos people are good with the NSX and know what they are doing, and were genuinely surprised I had the experience with them that I did. Regardless, its going to take a leap of faith, or Mr. Martin himself, for me to ever take it back to Cerritos Acura for additional services. In the meantime, you can't go wrong with the good people at Niguel Motors, personally speaking of course.

I'm happy for the numerous people who have benefited from Jon Martin's personal service with their NSX's. But since I didn't have him work on my car, I can't say "Cerritos Acura is great" in such a blanket-statement manner, based on my experience.

Back