• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Changing timing belt

My car has already run 35k but the car is coming to be 10 years old. Do I have to change the timing belt now or not.

Another question is about changing the timing belt. Since the agent is not going to change it (recon from Japan) is it possible to change the timing belt in the engine booth (without removing out the engine first).

If anybody has done it can you show it in pictures so I can take it to a specially qualified mechanic.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Jin1976:
My car has already run 35k but the car is coming to be 10 years old. Do I have to change the timing belt now or not.

Yes, you do. The recommendation from Acura for your '93 is to change it every 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. It is four years overdue.

If anybody has done it can you show it in pictures so I can take it to a specially qualified mechanic.

I recommend that you take it to a mechanic who does a lot of service work on NSXs, who has done it many times before. He (or she) will know how to do it.

I changed my timing belt 2 years ago and it is not a job for someone without extensive experience, including mechanics. The belt can be changed without removing the engine.....its tight but it can be done. You will need a Acura Crank holding tool plus the timing belt and idler pulley (the water pump is optional with your low mileage but you should be prepared to do the job again if it should fail and it is a lengthy job.....recall about 6 hours. Installation of the new timing belt can be tricky. It seems to not want to fit but it will if you take up the play by slightly moving the cam pulleys. Re-installation of the timing belt covers is also a chore (they only go in one way and it seemed easier to remove them than to put them back....remember the twists and turns you took in removing them.Make sure you or your mechanic has a factory service manual when this job is performed and its a good idea to check the valves (again Acura sells a valve adjustment tool that makes the job much easier) as your in there anyways.

Very much appreciated guys. The mechanic say it can be done in one day so I will have to find a car to drive to work. NSX is my daily driver and is my very first car to have.

The mechanic say it can be done in one day so I will have to find a car to drive to work.

Most dealers have loaner cars for you to use while they work on your car. Even independent mechanics usually have at least an arrangement with a local car rental outfit where you can pay a decent rate.

Hi Jin, can you post how much it cost you after you changed the belt because I might need it soon. Just want to know how much I might be spending. Thanks!

Originally posted by 201:
Hi Jin, can you post how much it cost you after you changed the belt because I might need it soon. Just want to know how much I might be spending. Thanks!

A typical price for changing the timing belt and water pump is $1200-1400, including parts and labor.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 16 January 2003).]

Jin - Where are you located? I get the impression you are in a country that does not really have NSXs or NSX dealers mechanics and your car was imported?

Pettitt's Automotive did my timing belt for much less than $1200 to $1400. I don't know how much of the above cost is waterpump (I opted to not change the water pump), but I was in the same situation as you, 10 years old w/35K miles. Bruce Pettitt is a factory trained NSX technician that left Niello Acura to open his own private shop in Roseville, CA. Highly competitent, nice guy, and reasonable rates. I don't know where you live, but if the Sacramento, CA area is within reasonable driving distance, I highly recommend Pettitt's Automotive. He also did my wife's Integra for a much lower price than Niello quoted.

Fritz

Brunei. The agent here pretty much sucks (sorry about the words). They won't do my car since I don't order it from them.

Brunei certanily makes it a little more complicated!

If you can find someone who has worked on NSXs before that is good. If not, just find the best mechanic you can and make sure he has a copy of the service manual (even if you have to buy one) and tell him to take his time.

Changing the timing belt in the car is not easy because it is very tight down there, but it certainly can be done. I think I would rather have him do it that way than have someone who has never removed an NSX engine before try to take the engine out to do the job, but if he feels he has to, it is not that big a deal to remove the engine either, just a couple hours of extra labor probably.

Obviously you can see what we are paying in the US, but your cost may vary somewhat. I'd be more worried about having someone good do the work and take their time than trying to get it done for the least possible amount of money. It is very possible to seriously damage the engine if the new belt is not installed correctly.

If he has any problems or questions, you can post them here and people who have done it before can try to help.

Originally posted by Lud:
If you can find someone who has worked on NSXs before that is good. If not, just find the best mechanic you can and make sure he has a copy of the service manual (even if you have to buy one) and tell him to take his time.

You could also find a competent NSX mechanic somewhere else (US, Japan, Australia, etc.) and contract with them to come to Brunei to service your vehicle.

EDR

Originally posted by nsx4fun:
(I opted to not change the water pump)

The reason for changing the water pump is that water pumps do eventually fail, and most of the labor for changing it is the same as for the timing belt change. If you don't change the water pump with the timing belt and it fails, you will be paying for all that labor all over again. That's why most folks change the water pump at the same time.

NSXTACY, I realize the reason for changing the H2O pump when doing the timing belt. I just figured the timing belt ages from the rubber compounds oxidizing and turning brittle, so I felt I could gamble that the H2O pump won't fail before my next timing belt change. Also, a timing belt failure can lead to instantineous catastrophic engine failure/damage, whereas a waterpump failure is not likely to cause the same problems. Next timing belt change I plan on doing myself and will opt to change the H2O pump then. I opted for the pay for service this time as I wanted it done before my first track event in Sept and my time schedule compounded by having a 7 month old baby to play with, meant I didn't want to spend a weekend under my car that I could spend with my very young son. I expect by the next time I need a timing belt changed, Baby Trevor will be old enough to be Daddy's assistant and Mom won't mind if Dad is under the car all weekend (or at least several hours in one day) when at the same time she doesn't have to be sole watcher of child. I have the tools and competency to rebuild engines, transmissions, etc but lacked the "free" time this past summer to tackle the job myself. We set our priorities, and live life accordingly.

Originally posted by onecrazydriver:
So the $2575 that I paid for the 60K service, Timing Belt, all belts, and water pump replacement is waaaayy too much??

Not necessarily...

Typical maintenance costs are in the FAQ here. They may be slightly low (by ~10 percent) because I know, at least in my area, that hourly service rates have gone up by about that much in the past year or two. So let's say a timing belt/water pump replacement is around $1200-1400 and the 60K is $900-1100. That puts $2575 at the upper end of those ranges but I wouldn't say that it's "waaaayy too much" by any means.

However, I also think you're right when you imply that prices tend to be higher in a geographical market that has only one or two dealers, than one that has more competition.

I changed my timing belt last week and I also opted to not change the water pump(64k) but the job was not to bad I payed $125 for the oem belt and then $35 for valve cover gaskets (I have a connection at the Acura dealership here in SLC, utah) and then me and my dad changed it in a day, so I think I got out way!!!! cheap If anyone local needs parts hookup, or needing timing belt changed alot cheaper than the dealership contact me by e-mail [email protected] or 801-725-3026
good luck

Back