• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check Engine (code 9) on 03 NSX

Fellow NSX'ers, can someone enlighten me what "code 9" represent for the 3.2L motor? It appeared on a 2003 and I know it's an intermittent failure since I resetted the system by pulling the 7.5A clock fuse, started the engine back up and the MIL does not reappear. Haven't test drive the car yet to really let the system run itself through but I like to know off hand what "9" blinks represent on this 03? Thanks prime.

Last edited:
Car is completely stock. It appears to be an intermittent failure. I unplugged the Radio fuse to reset the system after gathering the code, started the engine and didn't see the MIL coming back on. However, I did not drive the car so the MIL might still come back on after few minutes of driving based on my past experience with Honda/Acura. Is this just a sensor failure or actual cam failure?

What can be done (listed anywhere in the prime?) to troubleshoot the sensor on the 3.2L engine? This car is a 2003 by the way. I really hope it's just a faulty sensor. What are the chances of a cam being misplaced.

Larry Bastanza said:
The is a cam position sensor failure. Is the car a stock configuration? Is this a hard failure or intermittent?

FYI: The FAQ here has a complete listing of all ODBI and ODBII codes: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm

HTH,
LarryB

I am sure this would be a warranty item for a 2003, BTW. I think it would be either the cam sensor itself, or possibly a wiring/connector issue. It could also just be a fluke, so run the car and make sure it comes back before you worry about it.

The sensor itself is behind the cam gears on the front cylinder head. So it would be a fairly extensive job to change it (hopefully the warranty will cover the cost)

You may wish to speak to Mark Basch at Basch Acura in Phoenix and/or John Vasos at Brookfield Acura in Illinois. They may know immediately if there is an issue with the 2003 models. I am not aware of any service bulletin on this item though.

HTH,
LarryB

Back