• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check Engine Codes 42 and 66

My 2000 (out of warranty) started with code 42 a couple of months ago and now has added code 66. These appear to be Rear primary and secondary HO2S heaters. The obvious solution is to replace at cost of $700. Questions: Can anyone verify the codes and parts so i don't order the wrong ones? and Any ideas on whether these can be cleaned or serviced so i don't have to replace. thanks, dan

code 42 indicates a problem in the Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor (H02S) Heater circuit. If there isn't 10-40 ohms, it says to replace. It also, suggests to check for poor connections or loose wires at C144, C148 (H02S) and ECM. The codes stop at 59 in my 93 service manual.

Look here for Acura parts.

... and the sensors are listed at $183 here

[This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited 15 January 2003).]

Buy a service manual!

Code 66: Rear Secondary HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

You might double check the wiring to make sure it's not an electrical problem before ordering the parts.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 15 January 2003).]

right, i have not needed a service manual to this point. but i intend to buy one. back to my question: has anyone been through similar problem or have any light to shed on it? thanks, dan

I do not know if Honda ever changed their O2 sensors and feed back mechanism, but all early Honda OBDII cars are known to have problems with O2 sensors. They were sued by the EPA over it, so there is a technical service bulletin and lengthened warranty to cover these parts due to the emissions nature of the parts.

Does Honda have a longer emissions warranty like most of the domestic players? If that is the case, then I would think this would still fall under warranty.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan Boooleevard Cruzer
1992 White/Black Track Rat
2002 Red and White Cooper S - for sale, please inquire

There is an extended emissions warranty for 95-97 models... 150K miles or 14 years! They'll even replace your spark plugs for free once after 75K miles. See http://www.4acura.com/service/updates/98-031.asp for details.

Newer OBD-II cars may come with an extended warranty (50K miles?) for emissions components like O2 sensors. I would check with a dealer or two about replacing them under warranty before buying them yourself.

Originally posted by nsxmo:
i have not needed a service manual to this point.

Yes you have. You already needed one. If you had one, you would know that each code has not only a description for the problem, but also a diagnostic procedure for how to test exactly what's wrong before making the repair.

Hi Dan - Nick here from St. Louis too. Hope this works out quickly and for little $$ for you.

How did you pull the codes?

Did you go to AutoZone or did you wire them yourself?

Is St. Louis Acura or Frank Leta telling you the only repair is to replace the o2 sensors?

Have you recently replaced the headers or anything else that might be behind the sudden failure?

Have you pulled the clock fuse or the battery to see if the codes come back?

Please post a little more info and/or private me at [email protected]

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

I had mine come back with a code 42 after washing the lower half of the engine from underneath the car with degreaser and a garden hose.
Pulling the fuse reset it and it hasn't returned in a week.

OK!!! i have ordered a shop manual. this is my second nsx and i NEVER needed one before. (thanks to honda dependability)
thanks for all of the positive help. it is interesting that others have the same prob. dan

Originally posted by FuryNSX:
It's almost bizarre how these threads pop up at particular times. I also had recently just received a code of "42" and had my rear 02 sensor replaced this past weekend. I was not aware of this warranty coverage extension on 95 NSXs. Any chance of reimbursement?

Well, 2 1/2 months after my rear 02 sensor went out, my "Check Engine" and TCS lights went off again. I checked the code and this time it returned a "41" code, bad front 02 sensor. So, this time, with knowledge of the above mentioned warranty extension, and taking it to a different Acura dealer, I had them check it. Yup, sensor needed to be replaced AND it's under warranty. NO CHARGE!!!
biggrin.gif

On a side note, I'd like to thank Hoehn Acura in Carlsbad. It seems they make it normal procedure to check VIN #s on cars as they come in to see if all TSB checks are up to date. Apparently, my previous Acura service department didn't care to do that. As such, when I brought my 99 TL last month to Hoehn for an oil change and to meet their service department, they found several TSB updates that were never taken care of at my previous dealer. Looks like I'm not going to my old dealer anymore.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
1992 SC400
2003 Chevy Suburban LT

Originally posted by FuryNSX:

Well, 2 1/2 months after my rear 02 sensor went out, my "Check Engine" and TCS lights went off again. I checked the code and this time it returned a "41" code, bad front 02 sensor. So, this time, with knowledge of the above mentioned warranty extension, and taking it to a different Acura dealer, I had them check it. Yup, sensor needed to be replaced AND it's under warranty. NO CHARGE!!!
biggrin.gif

On a side note, I'd like to thank Hoehn Acura in Carlsbad. It seems they make it normal procedure to check VIN #s on cars as they come in to see if all TSB checks are up to date. Apparently, my previous Acura service department didn't care to do that. As such, when I brought my 99 TL last month to Hoehn for an oil change and to meet their service department, they found several TSB updates that were never taken care of at my previous dealer. Looks like I'm not going to my old dealer anymore.

Ohh my god. I paid out the yang for an O2 sensor to be replaced. I have a 95 is it truly under warranty?
Inquiring minds want to know. If so I am headed to the Acura dealer Monday.
Thanks
Len

Originally posted by len3.8:
Ohh my god. I paid out the yang for an O2 sensor to be replaced. I have a 95 is it truly under warranty?
Inquiring minds want to know. If so I am headed to the Acura dealer Monday.
Thanks
Len

Len,

Yup, 1995-97 NSXs got extended to an 14 year, 150,000 mile warranty on OBD/emission related problems.

Bryan posted the link on an earlier post in this thread.
Here it is: http://www.4acura.com/service/updates/98-031.asp

The notice was sent out in Oct 1998, but I didn't get my car until April of 1999. That's why I think that it's good that Hoehn Acura bothers to check all cars that come in, and that it's not so good that my previous Acura dealership didn't.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
1992 SC400
2003 Chevy Suburban LT

Fury, Thanks.
The dealer that serviced my car. Couldn't care if it was under warranty or not. I asked the parts dept. if they offered a discount to NSXCA and the guy looked at me and said what's that. Even though he had the newletters sitting on the table. I am printing out this article and taking it to them Monday. With full intention of getting my full return. I have the problem with the EPS and they are trying to skate around that TSB recall as well. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again
Len

Len,
Good luck on Monday. I hope that the dealership works with you, especially if they want to keep you coming back. As for me, I have exersized my right as a consumer and have decided to end my relationship with my previous Acura dealer.
tongue.gif
I will instead continue working with the new one whenever possible.
-Randy

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
1992 SC400
2003 Chevy Suburban LT

Back