• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check your grounds

This is an update to a problem I had. For the past year I got the dreaded click when starting the car. I did the usual fixes. I changed the battery cable, changed the battery, installed a new ignition switch and rebuilt the solenoid in the starter. The click was less frequent, but still happened about twice per week. Recently, while driving, I noticed that my TCS light would come on while driving in normal traffic. Also, my temp. gauge started to move off its usual perch of the line below halfway. I though nothing of any of this as the car showed no codes. While driving home, the car stalled every minute until I got it home. The code listed was P-1607 or ECM. I changed the ECM out and had the car towed to Ferman Acura in Tampa to reprogram the keys. I went to pick up the car and it stalled leaving the dealer. The codes were P-1241 and P-1242. Those codes refer to the throttle valve control relay, throttle body motor or the throttle body. The throttle valve control relay was changed and the code came back within a few minutes and the car again stalled. The Acura tech thoroughly cleaned the throttle body as I had done a few months ago. The tech did notice that the ground under the air cleaner was hanging on by a thread. It was repaired and all is well. The temp. gauge is back in range, the TCS light does not come on and the starter cranks like it's on fire. I think my problem all along was the engine ground. I have to give a shout out to Shawn in Tampa for his support and to Chuck, the service manager at Ferman for treating me more than fairly. Acura delivered the car to me cleaned and vacuumed. Moral of the story, check your grounds throughout the car. Jerry

Funny you mention that ground cable. Because I too, just replaced mine on Sunday. There were green oxidation on all the outer copper wires where it was exposed, not inside rubber shell, to the element. I replaced it just to be safe because my old civic was acting weird and would not start with similar symptoms like yours. Like you, I changed many parts before I notice the same, tranny to chassis ground, cable were badly corroded. Once replaced, the civic came back to live like nothing had happened.

Maybe redbird92(Ben) can build a combo ground cable kit. Maybe replace the one from chassis to valve cover also? A 3 piece ground kit. After all, our cars are pretty aged..

Go to the NSX wiki and get a copy of the electrical section of the service manual if you don't already own one (all long term owners should have a copy). In the electrical section there are a couple of pages close to the front of the section that list and provide locations (diagrams) for all of the ground points in the car. Don't confuse it with the section in the manual that lists every electrical connector in the car. My recollection is that the grounds listing is separate.

Thanks,
I thought I would look for this Engine Ground A under the intake as I never noticed it before.
what did I find:?
It wasn't even connected. Dealer took it off for a clutch change and never put it back. Car has run normal for the last 8 years with it off. (dam dealers!)
http://www3.telus.net/public/warshan/Cars/NSX/ground_strap_small.jpg
So, which bolt does it normally go under? diagram in the manual isnt that good. Maybe someone can include a picture of theirs...

Last edited:
Thanks,
I thought I would look for this Engine Ground A under the intake as I never noticed it before.
what did I find:?
It wasn't even connected. Dealer took it off for a clutch change and never put it back. Car has run normal for the last 8 years with it off. (dam dealers!)
http://www3.telus.net/public/warshan/Cars/NSX/ground_strap_small.jpg
So, which bolt does it normally go under? diagram in the manual isnt that good. Maybe someone can include a picture of theirs...

Here. It's a 10mm socket scew. You can see the tip of the tool extension on the screw. Hope that help.

Last edited:
Ben (redbird92) hook me up with his ground cable for the chassis to tranny point. His cable is solid. Much, much better then the OEM exposed one. You can see the different here. Contact him for your ground cable need. Highly recommended.
Say good bye to corrosion forever. Sealed tight with heat shrink tubing embedded with adhesive.
Quality piece.

Last edited:
Back