• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Chicago-Area NSX Club Annual Dinner and Spring Events

ANNUAL DINNER

We would like to formally invite you, and a guest, to our First Annual Dinner of the Chicagoland Chapter of the NSX Club of America on the evening of January 25, 2003 at 7:00 p.m.

The dinner will take place at the Black Ram restaurant in Des Plaines, near O'Hare Airport. This restaurant features steaks, prime rib, and seafood, and is owned by John Liapes, a former NSX owner. We have been there numerous times and the food and service are both outstanding. (Best prime rib in town!) We have a private dining room reserved for our group. Typical attire is "business casual". There is plenty of free parking behind the restaurant as well as in their auxiliary parking lot across the street. We will order off the menu, and the NSX Club will subsidize $10.00 per person for the cost of our dinner.

For more information about the Black Ram, including their current menu and directions to their location, click here to go to their website.

Please note that while we are not asking for payment in advance, we need to keep an accurate headcount of who is coming. If you would like to attend, please send an e-mail as soon as possible, but no later than January 19, to Steve Jenkins at [email protected] to confirm your attendance. If your plans change and you will no longer be unable to attend, please notify Steve immediately.

This will be a unique way to spend the evening and enjoy the friendship of the NSX Club of America at a time of year when we might not otherwise have the opportunity. We hope to make this event an annual tradition.

If you are not currently a member of the NSX Club, or if you know anyone else who would like to join us, all you need to do is pay an additional $40 as annual membership dues and you (and a guest) are welcome to join us. Click here for more information on joining the NSX Club of America.

SPRING EVENTS

Beginning in the Spring, we will be returning to a regular schedule of club meetings. We will announce those closer to the date of the meetings.

Many of our members enjoy driving their NSXs in driving schools held on racetracks, and many others enjoy coming to those schools as spectators. We would like to suggest that those members interested in doing so, consider the following driving schools, and in particular, the dates indicated as "NSX Days" so as to maximize the NSX attendance on those particular dates:

CGI Motorsports

CGI Motorsports offers a series of driving schools where you can enjoy driving your car in the company of other enthusiasts such as yourself. Each day offers up to 4 hours of on-track time for you and your car, which is more than most schools and more than enough to satisfy even the most die-hard track enthusiast. Classroom sessions and in-car instructors are available to help you learn the dynamics of driving. These events are held at Gingerman Raceway, South Haven, Michigan, 100 miles from downtown Chicago.

CGI Motorsports has announced its 2003 schedule:

May 12 & 26
June 16 &30
July 21
August 4 & 25
September 8 & 23
October 6

There are a few NSXs at any of the CGI events. We would like to consider Monday, May 26 (Memorial Day) as a "Bring Out the NSX Day". Please consider signing up for this day so that we can maximize NSX attendance on this particular date.

More information can be found on CGI's website by clicking here.

NASA

The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) was formed in 1991 to deliver high quality motorsports events to enthusiasts at major racing venues throughout the nation. NASA offers run groups in a traditional driving school format, and at many of their events, they also provide a competition (racing) event. They were well-established on the West Coast and in the South. Earlier this year, they created the NASA Ohio/Indiana Chapter (NASA OH/IN) to run events in the Midwest.

Those who have been eager to try some new and different tracks - without the risk of getting rejected by other marque clubs because of priority for folks driving their particular marque - are encouraged to try NASA. In 2003, NASA OH/IN will hold events at Mid-Ohio (Ohio), BeaveRun (western Pennsylvania), Putnam Park (Indiana), Grattan (Michigan), Nelson Ledges (Ohio), Summit Point (West Virginia), and GingerMan (Michigan). NASA also offers multi-school discounts on registrations for 3 schools or more, early registration discount prices for registrations received prior to December 31, and a 10 percent discount to members of the NSX Club of America at any event which 5 or more NSXCA members attend, as long as you note NSXCA in the "other club affiliation" on your registration form.

Here is NASA OH/IN's 2003 schedule:

April 4-6 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
May 10-11 BeaveRun Motorsports Complex
May 17-18 BeaveRun Motorsports Complex
June 21-22 Summit Point Raceway
July 19-20 Gingerman Raceway
August 9-10 Nelson Ledges Road Course
August 30 BeaveRun Motorsports Complex
September 13-14 Nelson Ledges Road Course
September 27-28 BeaveRun Motorsports Complex
October 11-12 Putnam Park Road Course

Additional dates (e.g. Grattan) will be added at a later date.

We would like to consider April 4-6 at Mid-Ohio as a "Bring Out the NSX Event". Please consider signing up for this event so that we can maximize NSX attendance for this particular date and, if we get five or more entries, qualify for NASA's group discount.

For more information on NASA OH/IN events, click here for their website.

We look forward to seeing many of you at these events!

Steve Jenkins
Representative, Midwest Region, NSX Club of America
[email protected]

keN SaX
Treasurer, NSX Club of America

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 December 2002).]

Hi nsxtasy

Would love to make it to chi-town in Jan, but have a prior engagement.
Count me in for April at Mid-Ohio.

Thanks for the info on how to join NSX Club of America

Thanks, Matt.

I spoke with the restaurant when I noticed this a few days ago. They are definitely still in business. The menu features the best prime rib around, steaks, seafood, etc. Really great food, and great service, too.

For address info and a clickable map, click here.

I am finally in a position to respond as to my availability: I have managed to schedule out of my other commitment, and would therefore be delighted to spend an evening with other NSX enthusiasts (and friends) at the Black Ram restaurant. I look forward to catching up with all of you.

I do have one request: the car I typically use to bide my Chicago winters is unavailable. Given the severe cold weather, the slicks and the gross salt on the roads, I wouldn't dream of driving my baby in this weather to the restaurant. For this reason I was hoping somebody that was passing this way might be able to pick me up from where I am.

I am located about ten minutes south of downtown, in an area called Hyde Park. In case you want to plug it into Yahoo Maps, my exact address is: 5020 S. Lake Shore Dr, Chicago, IL 60615. It is a very safe area, and very convenient (it takes about ten minutes to get onto I-90/I-94 from my place).

If I could rely on the kindness of any of you guys, that would be wonderful. But I insist only if it is convenient for you. Please private me at: [email protected] if need be. I am also reachable at: 773.684.0450.

Regards,
Vik.

[This message has been edited by NSXaholic (edited 21 January 2003).]

Ken, thanks for posting the track schedule....now, can anyone signup for these events or does NSXCA have a deal with them? I couldn't tell if the general public could signup for one of their track events.

Anyone can sign up for the track events held by CGI and by NASA. None of them are "NSX Club members only".

However, NSX Club membership is required for the dinner this Saturday.

We currently have 26 people coming to our dinner.

If anyone wants to sign up at the last minute, please contact Steve, or if you have to show up at the last minute, come anyway. The restaurant has moved us into a larger private room so we can accommodate last-minute attendees.

If you're not already a club member, think of the dinner subsidy from the club as a discount on your annual member dues.
wink.gif

See you there!

Had a wonderful time this evening. Wanted to profusely thank Ken and Steve for putting this together -- yet another great event from a terrific duo!! It was a pleasure to meet many of the other NSX owners (and spouses), and I certainly look forward to keeping in touch with everybody. Let's cross our fingers and hope for a quick winter -- I for one, am raring to take my baby out soon!!

Regards,
Vik.

I don't think anyone took photos.

We had a few cancellations (a couple sick, plus snow falling that night) but we had 21 people there. Lot of fun.

911turbox50 said:
how do i get more info about your next meeting?
We let all our members know in advance about our events, which lately have consisted of the winter dinner and a big spring event each year. To join the NSX Club of America, go to the club website at www.nsxca.org and click on Join.

A lot of us will also be at the CGI Motorsports drivers school at GingerMan on September 12, even though that is not officially an NSX Club of America event.

911turbox50 said:
how do i get more info about your next meeting?

We usually have a fall Brunch every year around the middle of October. Just keep checking this Midwest forum from time to time.

nsxtasy said:
A lot of us will also be at the CGI Motorsports drivers school at GingerMan on September 12, even though that is not officially an NSX Club of America event.

As of my last count, we should have 11 NSX's at GingerMan on the 12th. I'd say that's a pretty good "get-together"! :biggrin:

Back