• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Chips anyone? Whats the deal with performance chips?

I see quite a few performance chips and or other types of modifications advertized. Has anyone bought one of these and installed it? Does it really work? seems like those too good to be true deals. They seem to claim a hoursepower gain of 5-20 hp and cost $20-$200 depending on where and what brand. I'm not sure I understand how something so cheap would add taht much and not be something the considerable combined minds at honda would not have put in the car originally.

Anyone have some thoughts? I'd be interested in hearing any opinions on the validity of the claims, if anything is gained and also if there is any risk. I get nervious about changing somethign like that since I don't know what issues it might cause. Is there any change of failure of damage to the car because of the non-stock chipset?

Thanks

Rick,
"Hot chips" basically modify the oem ecu's fuel mapping and timing to be more aggressive. They add more fuel and more timing. Obviously, anything that adds more timing to your engine can compromise the long term health of your internals. I have run a hot chip in the past, a Dinan state III to be specific. I dyno'd 269rwhp with I/H/E and that chip. I would encourage you to consider this mod carefully and only proceed with a well known company who most likely would have done extensive R&D before bringing a product to market. As for 5-20hp, I'd tell you to expect gains in the lower half of that range. Best of luck!

If you want to go faster... dump the huge heavy wheels.

Back