• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choice of brake pads

I was fascinated by Marc Weinberg's article on Real World Brake Upgrades for the NSX. Based on this article, I was planning to remove the splash guards, install Dali air deflectors, and switch to a different brake pad. I would appreciate any opinions regarding an optimal brake pad for 90% street use and 10% track use. Thanks.

------------------
Ron
1991 NSX (black/black)
2001 M3 (silver/red)

I've been extremely satisfied with the RM Racing street/track pads for the stock size calipers. I've driven roughly 60 track events in my NSX, and I don't change pads for the track. That means that I want a pad that stands up to the heat of track usage without fading, doesn't squeal or excessively dust, and doesn't need to be warmed up to be effective. I've tried quite a few different brands and formulations of brake pads, and these are the pads I always come back to. They have a nice initial "bite" and they just work great.

Like any brake pad, they have "green pad syndrome", meaning that they need to be "heat cycled" (get them REALLY hot) a couple of times or they will fade when first used on the track.

Carbotech Panther plus. Perform like a real race pads, but can be driven on the street. They do squeel a bit, can be minimized by using CRC brake quite. You will need to reapply the CRC after every track event though.

I also tried almost every available pads for the NSX, and I find the panther plus is superior to any of them.

Agree with Ken in the "green pad syndrome".

I agree with Andrie,The carbotech panther line gets rave reviews with the s2000 track crowd.There is an s2000 owner who works for the company his name is Andie,he is knowlegable and helpful.

Originally posted by docjohn:
There is an s2000 owner who works for the company his name is Andie,he is knowlegable and helpful.

Andie is an NSX owner; I could be mistaken but I don't think he owns an S2000. And he recently left Carbotech to form his own company; I'm sure we'll be hearing more from him. He is still knowledgeable and helpful, of course - and a great guy, too.

I strongly recommend Carbotech Panther Plus. They perform like a full track pad, but can be driven on the street with excellent results at cold temps. They do squeal and dust a little, but MUCH less than other performance pads.

You can see a small comparison table here: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/braking_performance_parts/NSX/carbotech/

Andie is no longer with Carbotech. You can purchase the pads directly from Carbotech, or from ScienceofSpeed at the above link.

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]
http://www.ScienceofSpeed.com

Originally posted by The DON:
Andrie, what is CRC brake quite?

CRC brake quite, is a red liquid/paste like that you can get in any local parts store. They work very effective. However, they won't withstand the heat for track use. So after each track use, you will need to re-apply them to make the brake quite again.

I've just installed Endless performance pad and use Endless Dot 4 braking fluid. Talk about stopping power (lots of it)

Originally posted by Jin1976:
I've just installed Endless performance pad

Endless makes a variety of different brake pads for different needs, from pure street pads to all-out track pads.

I tried their CC-X steet/track pads on my other car. Using it on both street and track, found that its performance was good, almost as good as the RM Racing pads, but they didn't last anywhere near as long.

Back