• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

Just got mine delivered with insurance to Canada to 122.00 US funds.
Picked up at Nano 16gig from Future shop for 199.00 cdn
Ready to Roll.
What now!!! lol
If i just put everything on my passenger seat, does that make me a Baller?
Trev
p.s. I want to place it in the trunk I think, Not sure why I would want it in the cabin or visible. Now to decide if i install in on the right side where my changer is/was, or I heard you can put it on the left side by the Ant.

Attachments

• iPOD.JPG
    iPOD.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 662
Ready to Roll.
What now!!! lol
Trev
p.s. I want to place it in the trunk I think, Not sure why I would want it in the cabin or visible. Now to decide if i install in on the right side where my changer is/was, or I heard you can put it on the left side by the Ant.

right side would probably be easiest and fastest, just make a custom mount and mount where old cd changer use to be, but what do i know i mounted mine next to the center speaker and have the wire coming up out of the small coin tray by arm rest. :cool:

p.s. i don't have an ipod, is use a zune:biggrin:

I opted to put mine in the coin tray becuase I usually access the IPOD itself to switch between playlists. I think using just the oem stereo is too limiting.

EDIT: Looks like Moses got his post in before me. And it looks liek we routed ours exactly the same. Great minds think alike I guess........

Last edited:
I opted to put mine in the coin tray becuase I usually access the IPOD itself to switch between playlists. I think using just the oem stereo is too limiting.

EDIT: Looks like Moses got his post in before me. And it looks liek we routed ours exactly the same. Great minds think alike I guess........

Same reason I would have done it with an ipod, but my reason was i use the headphone jack for the line out on the usa*spec since there isn't a device that supports a zune yet and the zune fits perfect and so does my wifes iphone when we opt to use that.

Ah I see!
Thanks boys, so you hooked into the cable behind the drivers seat then? I can do that as well. Can't use the coin tray or old cell phone button dip, because thats where I have my AFR gauge....lol.
Trev

Yes behind the drivers seat. Its very easy. Some people run the cable into the arm rest glove box but I like having it visible when I'm driving and then I just remove my IPOD when I leave.

Dudes, I'm going to be a great Father and give my 21 year old daughter my 16 gig and take her 8 gig that is loaded already with all kind of playlist and songs.
Can I simply plug this baby in and use it til I make the play list tomorrow at work here. What would it play only on Track One and be all the songs.
Which way do I throw the dips for this?
Trev - who doesn't like to read and is over 45 years old.
Hey, I still have Pink Floyds, The Wall in Plastic on my L.P.!
I can now download Budgie and play some of their old stuff.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/54H3EUAzpVg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/54H3EUAzpVg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For me I just plug it in then hit the #5 button (forgot the function of this button) and I can control what I want to listen to through the IPOD. My instructions suck.........maybe someone else can explain better.

Ready to Roll.
What now!!! lol
Trev

Trev,
I am just going through the process now of moving my ipod adapter from the trunk to the interior. I found that it would be better to control the ipod directly in some cases. I am taking advantage of my smartenna. I am using the cable from the trunk mounted changer to pass through the engine comp. to the interior so I can move the ipod interface inside. (best of both worlds - smartenna and ipod) I am keeping this completely reversable in case I want to put things back.
I am going to put the ipod nano in the ash tray or just leave it on the console under the e-brake handle. With a silicon cover, it just sits there with no issue. I will take some pictures to try and document the cabling from the trunk to the interior. ( you can move dub music from LP vinyl to mp3s.)

Trev,
I am just going through the process now of moving my ipod adapter from the trunk to the interior. I found that it would be better to control the ipod directly in some cases. I am taking advantage of my smartenna. I am using the cable from the trunk mounted changer to pass through the engine comp. to the interior so I can move the ipod interface inside. (best of both worlds - smartenna and ipod) I am keeping this completely reversable in case I want to put things back.
I am going to put the ipod nano in the ash tray or just leave it on the console under the e-brake handle. With a silicon cover, it just sits there with no issue. I will take some pictures to try and document the cabling from the trunk to the interior. ( you can move dub music from LP vinyl to mp3s.)

that's one of the advantages of hooking it up in the truck, which is the smartenna usage. i ran the wire under the arm rest then threw a small hole in the coin tray which was there already from the old phone button thingy. and yes i hooked it up behind the seat.

here hope this helps

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102592

Last edited:
I recommend an interior installation so you can access the iPod directly. But as a temporary measure, you could go ahead and connect it up in the right side of the trunk, which is really quick and easy, just plug everything in. Then you could experiment with how it functions and get your playlists straight. You might choose to leave it in the trunk but I think it would be ultimately more satisfying if you connect it up behind the driver's head and run the cable to the center console somewhere.

Can I simply plug this baby in and use it til I make the play list tomorrow at work here. What would it play only on Track One and be all the songs. Which way do I throw the dips for this?

I think the new adapters with dual mode use different logic than the older ones, so I can't say with certainty what the correct DIP settings are. Consult the user guide. I think that the 8GB player will play one huge playlist with all the songs on CD 5.

FYI: aparently a simple MBUS -> 3.5mm adapter will not do the trick. After reading this and having one of these laying around, I figured I would give it a shot with a non-ipod MP3 player (I had my dash apart anyway un-installing some junk). The head unit does not recognize the input; pressing AM/FM button never cycles to "CD Player".

Assumptions:
-I was not doing it wrong (connected 8-pin side directly to back of head unit, other side to MP3 player, pulled clock fuse for ~1min)
-My head unit from a '92 is functioning correctly. This car did not come with a CD player that I am aware of.

This is the adapter I'm talking about: http://www.myradiostore.com/p/alp-m-35m.html

Thanks guys, threw it in the truck in about, oh, 24 secounds and am really happy with the results, now if only iTunes where easy to use....lol.
Will move it up front later, but for now, real happy and appreciate the great help.
I can probably run a little less pressure in the right rear once I take out the old CD Player and bracket!
I made a 6th playlist for some reason and put one song in it. Don't ask me why I did that lasterday, but I thought somebody told me to do that....
Thanks
Trev
p.s. this is the second best addition to the Nsx, next to my Dash Pad!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35159&highlight=dash+pad+ffffanman

Last edited:
Do the dingo balls stay or go back with the pad and the 8 tracks......!
Its funny cause when I meet people I tell them I have a Pinto with 8 track, all original and they really actually want to see it, so I take them to the car, they are slightly disappointed when they see the Nsx.....lol.
T-Fal

I tried one of those myself before because I thought it would work - no luck.:frown:

I'm assuming it's because it does not emulate the CD changer's signal as the true adapters must. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I will probably be picking up a refurb ipod to just leave in the car along with one of the above-mentioned proven options.

I mounted the interface behind the center speaker enclosure and ran the ipod connection into the glovebox in the console between the seats.
IMG_4351.jpg

I used the 8 pin din cable that crosses the trunk from left to right. I removed it from the changer to the connection on the left side of the trunk, near the antenna. I used this cable to extend from the Smartenna through the engine compartment and into the interior behind the seat. ( I wanted to keep my Smartenna functional). You can also just extend the two white wires from your Smartenna to the 8-pin DIN connection behind the seat. ( I didn't think of his until I was done.:redface:)
IMG_4346.jpg

I used wire loom to protect the cable in the engine compartment. There is a gromet in left side of the trunk to access the engine compartment.
IMG_4348.jpg

Entering the cabin from the engine compartment, I used the existing cable entrance rubber gromet and cut an X below the exisiting cable in the rubber and resealed with black automotive silicone.

In order to have the ipod fuctional and with an adjustable amout of cable, I drilled a hole in the back of the center console glove box and rear speaker enclosure. Installed a gromet to protect the wire. This way I can pull out and push back in the appropriate amount of cable connected to the iPod.
IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

The ipod is sledom accessed, but when it is required, I am usually driving and stopping to access the trunk was becoming a PIA.
I decided to put the ipod in the center glove box to 1: keep it out of site, and 2: keep it easily accessed.

Last edited:
Thanks Warren, I can't believe you drilled holes in your car!!! Ahhhhhhh!

I tucked mine in the trunk yesterday after noon while skipping out on work.
I unscrewed the 8 track player and set it aside for the future time capsule.
Pulled off the side carpet and double sided taped the small module to one of the brackets left behind the carpet, tucked the wires and reinstalled carpet.
After that, I went to take Night Club Two lessons with Jody!
One day I will stay at a Holiday Inn Express and move mine to the front like you did!
Trev

Attachments

• DSC07128_resize.JPG
    DSC07128_resize.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC07129_resize.JPG
    DSC07129_resize.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC07130_resize.JPG
    DSC07130_resize.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 448
I think the only holes he drilled are in the rear of the center console, plus the bottom of the center speaker "hump", such that the holes are not visible when the center console is reinstalled. Nice job! Plus selecting the correct grommet was a good move - having an adjustable length of cable makes it more convenient to manipulate the iPod, particularly while driving.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Pictures help a lot.

Last edited:
Yes you are right Mr. Jett, but you don't know Warren!
He still has the plastic on his living room furniture, its 11 years old now!
Trev

Yes you are right Mr. Jett, but you don't know Warren!
He still has the plastic on his living room furniture, its 11 years old now!
Trev

There is still a puddle of tears on my garage floor. As well I haven't slept since.
I kept telling myself "you can't go back!" as I nervously held the drill. The hole in the glovebox with the gromet is a 9/16" standard size. (the smallest possible for the cable end to fit through) A filler will snap right in if I ever change my mind. I had to heat the gomet up with boiling water to get it to stretch over the cable connector.

It sure is nice having an adjustable cable length on the iPOD though! The New Acuras and Hondas have their iPOD connection in the console as well.

I still can't believe I did it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is still a puddle of tears on my garage floor. As well I haven't slept since.
I kept telling myself "you can't go back!" as I nervously held the drill. The hole in the glovebox with the gromet is a 9/16" standard size. (the smallest possible for the cable end to fit through) A filler will snap right in if I ever change my mind. I had to heat the gomet up with boiling water to get it to stretch over the cable connector.

It sure is nice having an adjustable cable length on the iPOD though! The New Acuras and Hondas have their iPOD connection in the console as well.

I still can't believe I did it. :rolleyes:

well if it makes you feel any better I think it was a great idea and I might copy it this weekend. Thanks for the details on a nice job.

Back