• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CHP 11-99 Foundation

I went to the website to get info on joining but the dues seem a little high. $1800 for lifetime membership and $500 for annual membership.

Isn't there a cheaper way to join and get the CHP license plate frame?

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

just fyi, many cops actually TARGET that sort of thing. im friends with a few and some of the mindset is that people who have pro-cop stickers are the same people who think that because they have them, they can get away with more... one cop friend said in his experience for busting drunks, many of the, have pro-cop advertisements. then you have state police who sometimes have rivalries with local cops and vice versa so might target you if they dont like the cops youre advertising. anyway, it can go either way, i sure as hell wouldnt think about spending much money on them, but if you want a license plate frame, there are companies on the net that will custom make them for $20 if you send them the graphics.

The 11-99 membership can uh...help you out if you are "accidentally" speeding on the freeway. But you usually have to flash the badge that you get with the membership, I doubt that having just the license plate frame would work, as it would probably piss them off, because you didn't really contribute to the charity of CHP officers who have died in the line of duty. Instead you gave 20 bucks to some licence plate frame maker.

The CHP officers probably will act like they don't know what the 11-99 charity is when they see the badge, but you will probably get a warning or a reduced ticket if you are speeding. If you are being a moron and drinking and speeding, and I sure they will throw your ass in jail.

I have had the membership for about 6 years and haven't had to use it until last week when I was pulling the trailer.
smile.gif

-Doug

You know what guys? Subscribe to a charity because you believe in it & the benefit your contribution can provide.
If it brings some additional benefits (tax deduction, maybe some sympathy from a cop in a lesser moving violation) then I'm not against that - just don't make it the primary reason for contributing & especially not look for ways to circumvent the real contribution while retaining any benefits that might come with the primary association.

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
You know what guys? Subscribe to a charity because you believe in it & the benefit your contribution can provide.
If it brings some additional benefits (tax deduction, maybe some sympathy from a cop in a lesser moving violation) then I'm not against that - just don't make it the primary reason for contributing & especially not look for ways to circumvent the real contribution while retaining any benefits that might come with the primary association.

Well said...............

The CHP 11-99 Foundation is a 501(C)(3) organization and your contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Please consult with your tax professional.

Don't join if your motive is to get leniency for doing something stupid like street racing. (NSX'ers don't do that anyway, right?)

------------------
2002•Black/Black

Hey Lud - how 'bout moving this thread to the "Off Topic" section?

Ok Bay area NSX'ers, I guess all of us Socal guys havent been hit as hard as all you Dot.com'rs. We should reconsider, will just give our money away to local charities and Oh, I just got back from church too.

Originally posted by Wadasan:
Ok Bay area NSX'ers, I guess all of us Socal guys havent been hit as hard as all you Dot.com'rs. We should reconsider, will just give our money away to local charities and Oh, I just got back from church too.

Hey Lud, maybe you ought to just kill this thread. NSX'ers don't have money left over for charities.

Hey Wadasan, The families of slain/diabled CHP officers appreciate this charity.

I'm not stumping for money for charity, CHP 11-99 or any other for that matter, Wadasan - just saying if you want the benefits you think it gives you, pay the dues. Whether you want the plate to avoid tickets, or just because you happen to think it'll make your X better-loking, it comes at a cost.
You can go to Taiwan & buy "Johnny Versachy" or "Giovanny Armany" or "Calvert Kleim" rip-offs of the real thing but at least it's obvious they are fakes by the cheezy names they come up with.
I think its a dream to believe that getting the plate is a low-cost "get-out-of-jail-free-card" anyway.

Originally posted by NoClgDeg:
Anybody know where I can buy the license plate frame cheap?

Sheeesh, give it up! If you want the benefits of the membership pay the price. This isn't some warez site!

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Originally posted by NoClgDeg:
Anybody know where I can buy the license plate frame cheap?

I would be reluctant to have the frames on my car without the Badge and ID card. If a CHP officer was inclined to give you a break and determined you only had the license plate frame, and weren't a legitimate member, then He may not be so foregiving.

------------------
2002•Black/Black

It would be wise to check what the consequences are for having a fake frame. Possible jail time???

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited 24 July 2002).]

are you mad?!? he's not forging a registration or a drivers license here, he's making a license plate frame. at WORST it's a violation of title 18, criminal infringement of a copyright, but if he only makes one, then that doesn't even fly.

Originally posted by robr:
are you mad?!? he's not forging a registration or a drivers license here, he's making a license plate frame. at WORST it's a violation of title 18, criminal infringement of a copyright, but if he only makes one, then that doesn't even fly.

I hate to continue this thread but I think that the issue isn't the "fake" frame but the fact that he won't have the supporting document - membership card - to go with it. I think that the risk here is some serious attitude from the officer when he realizes that the frame is a cheap attempt at posing as a member of the foundation. The only way the fake frame works is if it prevents you from even getting pulled over - which has worked for me with similar (not fake) devices but is a long shot. When you are pulled over it has been my experience that the officer will be very inquisitive about the provenance of such devices. Like the kid I used to know who had his PBA Card burned in front of him after a few too many stops.
smile.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Back