• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Chrome not popular anymore?

Why are chrome wheels so unpopular these days? I have a 2005 Red NSX and have been wanting to put a chrome set of these on it.

Personally, I think the chrome would look stellar but don't want to put something on the car that may make it difficult to sell sometime down the road.

Again, I think the "pop" of chrome would match the "pop" of the bright red paint!

Thoughts?

Attachments

• vortex_chrome_reg_pop_white.jpg
    vortex_chrome_reg_pop_white.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 280
If you want chrome, then get chrome. Chrome is heavy though, which is why fast cars don't have chrome wheels.

There's always hyper silver or the polished alum/forged that look chrome but don't have the weight issue.

Chrome, I have no problem with chrome :wink:

I have this wheel in Hyper silver. They just don't "pop" in my opinion....at least not as much as the Red car does.

You really don't see the wheels in Hyper silver on the bright red car.

First and second rules of modding a sports car:

#1. It's your car, you do what you want.

#2. Disregard first rule if it includes chrome wheels on an NSX.

If you want chrome, then get chrome. Chrome is heavy though, which is why fast cars don't have chrome wheels.

There's always hyper silver or the polished alum/forged that look chrome but don't have the weight issue.

+1 :smile:
That is the finish on my works wheels

Funny!

Tell me why you don't care for chrome on the NSX. Weight is not an issue for two reasons. 1) I don't track my car. 2) I rarely take it out of the garage! Yes, it is a garage queen to the max. Washed, waxed and loved but not used much.

Nothing against the chrome wheels above

I'd almost say the "each to his own" line, but please dont bling the nsx out. It makes the NSX look ghetto, the cars roots is not the hood, chrome is never seen on Japans sports cars (xcept VIPs, which the NSX is not). If you like the shiny stuff put it on your mouth or fingers, there are a number of ways to attract attention, try to keep it tasteful, and classic. Theres nothing sportslike (weight savings, strength, durability, aerodynamic, longevity, etc) or exotic about chrome, specially on japan sportscars.

A probable exception to this is if the chrome wheel was from japan, made for the nsx o_O

IMO I dont think chrome was never in style for japan sportscars (besides VIPs). Please dont put racing stripes either.

http://www.bordom.net/tag/grillz

Chrome is still popular. You just have to get it in the right style. Here's my first Custom Midnight Blue NSX with chrome 19/20's :biggrin:

7982nsx_vsh_image5.jpg

7982nsx_vsh_image3.jpg

LOL - truth.

Why screw up the carefully tuned and balanced handling with a boatload of unnecessary unsprung weight?

And "no", it doesn't matter that you don't track the car.

Last edited:
LOL - truth.

Why screw up the carefully tuned and balanced handling with a boatload of unnecessary unsprung weight?

And "no", it doesn't matter that you don't track the car.

How much heavier can a chrome set of wheels be on an NSX :rolleyes:

Example..

Two set of HRE's

One set machine/polish with clear coated..

One set with chrome plated..

They both forged wheels one clear coated another chrome plated.

How much heavier will it be??? Let's be real, couple grams maybe couple ounces :rolleyes:

How much heavier can a chrome set of wheels be on an NSX :rolleyes:

Example..

Two set of HRE's

One set machine/polish with clear coated..

One set with chrome plated..

They both forged wheels one clear coated another chrome plated.

How much heavier will it be??? Let's be real, couple grams maybe couple ounces :rolleyes:

Yeah but we're talking HRE here. A garden variety homie chromie is 3x heavier than a chromed forged rim

I personally don't think chrome matches the NSX, unless you go super high class baller and get a set of chromed HRE's, everything else just seems a bit cheap. But then again you shouldn't care what other people think, get whatever makes YOU happy.

Here's an option (white plastidip - don't like it, peel it off)

and add a red "H" or "A" to the center

ei3814.jpg

I feel that chrome is for muscle cars and hotrods...

I don't feel like chrome suits the style of the NSX. It's all just people's opinions though. If you just do what you want, and spend less time worrying what others think, you'll probably be happier in the long run. I don't think wheel weight is that big of an issue for a hardly-driven street car.

Here's an option (white plastidip - don't like it, peel it off)
ei3814.jpg

I personally would never put chrome on my car, but it certainly is "classier " than plastidip or vinyl wrap.

Chrome is so out of date that I thought the title of this thread was referring to Google's internet browser. Seriously. And I'm pushing 38 so it's not like I'm a youth.

Save the chrome for your Judge or Nova.

Hey Rob, A bit confused, because when you bought Yojack's 2005 I thought you got the five blade chromes with it?

It's your beauty - do what you wish. It's always reversible.

My two cents - don't think chromies look good on NSX.

Chrome has no place on a real sports car unless it is on some switchgear. Tell me what modern exotic car or supercar comes with chrome wheels from the factory. NONE. As noted before, chrome is heavy. It doesn't matter that you don't "track your car". Neither do most Zonda, 458 or 599 or aventador owners. The car is designed for speed, and its "pop" if you will, lies in the fact that it's at the very least "perceived" as fast. Put chrome wheels on a real fast car and all you'll get from the eyes of someone that knows cars is "he is trying to be blingy and doesn't get the design of the car".

Do you like 24" wheels with low profile tires on SUV's? Because this is within the same lines. You are doing a mod that does not go with the intent of the car. An SUV is designed to go off road but some say "I never take it off road" and put these gargantuan wheels on the car essentially disabling the car from even having a decent ride. The car's suspension now has to deal with the owner's lack of car knowledge.

You have an NSX. Be a car guy. If you don't go to the track, at least understand the car. The car doesn't want chrome. It doesn't want to "pop" by being a mirror on wheels. It wants to "pop" by being fast. Put on some serious performance wheels.

And yes, this is just my opinion, but you asked. :)

Last edited:
Chrome is still popular. You just have to get it in the right style. Here's my first Custom Midnight Blue NSX with chrome 19/20's :biggrin:

7982nsx_vsh_image5.jpg

7982nsx_vsh_image3.jpg

Unlike your current car, I think this looks terrible. :smile:

Back