• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cigarette lighter / 12v socket suggestions?

I am installing a carbon fiber console that does not have the cut-out or mounting points for the ash tray. This is not an issue since I don't smoke, and the ash tray is too small for storage, but I do want to keep my cig lighter so I can charge a phone/GPS/air compressor, etc...

Does anybody have any suggestions for how/where I can mount the cig lighter socket that will look cool?

I was going to mount it under the stereo on the L side of the console (about where your top knuckle is pointing when you are in 1st gear), and leave the plastic ring around it so it will glow when the lights are on, but the ring does not illuminate very evenly, so I don't think that looks very good. I can always just take the plastic ring off and mount the plain metal socket into the console, but I was hoping for something a little more "slick".

I searched the forums and pics to trying to see what others have done with their 12v sockets, but wasn't really able to find anything. Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated. OR, if anyone knows how to get the plastic ring around the socket to glow with even intensity all the way around, that would solve my problem too!!!

I can also take pics if that will help everyone get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how/where I can mount the cig lighter socket that will look cool?

It would be easier to make Barney Frank look cool. Get an accessory socket and hard wire (fused of course) it and mount is out of sight in the center console or glovebox.

You can even get a teenie weenie power inverter with USB/110 VAC/12V outputs that will fit in the glovebox. That way a female passenger can use her laptop and vibrator at the same time. That would be cool!

It would be easier to make Barney Frank look cool. Get an accessory socket and hard wire (fused of course) it and mount is out of sight in the center console or glovebox.

quote]

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't even thought of the center console. That may be the best way to go... It's going to cramped in there though because that is where my iPod connector is goign to be, as well as the switch for my DVD player.

Besides an NSX I have a 2005 Acura TL, well they have inside the arm rest a cigarette socket in bottom of the compartment, outts sight,, you would be able to plug your cell phone in if you want without losing the power outlet, I also installed on in my truck hooked up to the light while the trunk is opened,, ya know for the Airpump for the spare tire,, so i dont have to have my door open while its raining to pump the tire,, My buddy installed one under the dash pointing down,, another suggestion is in your Glovebox under the trunk on/off switch!! hope this helps

Back