• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

City Construction crew directed me over a rock..

On my lunch break there were 3 workers quickly driving along filling in cracks in the road with tar pellets, the first worker is waving his hands directing people to go to the shoulder to avoid hitting the other worker shoveling tar. Since it's lunch, it's bumper-to-bumper, SUV's and large cars run over the cement block, but me not so much...

Since it was city construction workers that directed me off the shoulder and over a 80lb piece of broken cement, how should I go about this? I already talked to the city construction personal property claims, I'll be receiving a claim form.

My biggest concern is that the police would not write a report as it falls under the 'road debris' category of accidents, and along with rock chips & potholes, the state of Nebraska doesn't care.

I'm at work so I haven't taken a look to see if it actually damaged the car, rear looks fine, took a chunk out of my front lip though.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry to read about this. I hope you were able to take a picture with your camera phone.

I would make sure that my insurance company knew about it and let them go after the city.

Unfortunately I've been a victim of vandal 4x due to my wife's ex, and just recently got off of SR-22 insurance. Claiming with them would be another hit, so I'm trying to avoid my insurance if possible. They wouldn't go after the city anyway because they have no proof.

I never do what other people tell me to, esp. what city workers tell me. :wink: If something happens it's me who's in trouble not them. The insurance company will ask you why you didn't refuse to drive over the obstacle.

No way.. The options would be to either do as directed by a city rep, or actually break the law and run THROUGH a construction site (unless Im misunderstanding what he is saying)

Not only would the insurance company not encourage this, but if you got arrested for reckless driving (VERY possible), they'd drop you.

This is just a really unfortunate situation and part of why driving an exotic can suck sometimes. There really is nothing he could have done here (again, if I am understanding it right - and I think I am since Ive been in the EXACT same situation, but luckily was in my truck)

Sad to say but going after a municipality will be a challenge
I have seen stories here in Houston of buses involved in collisions
and the city (self insured) did not pay

No way.. The options would be to either do as directed by a city rep, or actually break the law and run THROUGH a construction site (unless Im misunderstanding what he is saying)

Not only would the insurance company not encourage this, but if you got arrested for reckless driving (VERY possible), they'd drop you.

This is just a really unfortunate situation and part of why driving an exotic can suck sometimes. There really is nothing he could have done here (again, if I am understanding it right - and I think I am since Ive been in the EXACT same situation, but luckily was in my truck)

yep, you are correct, my only alternative was to attempt to drive through the construction workers themselves & their truck.

Anything I should be aware about as far as looking for damage underneath?

Back