• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clarkson returns his Ford GT

I pray to God he buys it back. Dont get me wrong I love the NSX but I wouldent take any 2 for a GT man.

Surff78 said:
dam that sucks.. he should visit this forum and pick up an NSX

The NSX doesn't have enough power or TQ for Clarkson. He has never liked the NSX... at least from what I have read.

NetViper said:
The NSX doesn't have enough power or TQ for Clarkson. He has never liked the NSX... at least from what I have read.

I love the NSX but the Gt is in another class of sports cars.

Too much tech can be an achilles!

NetViper said:

hmmm... I usually am not usually in concurrence w/ most of his [Jeremy Clarkson] opinions, but his more subjective insights are interesting. He lacks consistency, and if you have observed/viewed him over the years- you'll easily come to a similar conclusion (ie. his head-to-head comparo' of Vanquish vs. 575M is a prime example).

What he experienced in dealing w/ Ford's after-purchase support is something many NSX owners have experienced as well. So this is a great thread for 'Prime. Just because Ford offers an uber-expensive supercar doesn't mean their dealer customer service can support it as per needed nor do justice to it's ownership-base's expectations. Does that sound familiar *cough* Acura Dealers *cough* :redface:

BESTOUCH said:
I think he should have had the alarm disabled and kept the car.

I'm with you

English cars are notorious for their "build quality" and electrical failures. What's this guy crying about that hasn't been done here in the States thousands of times over with a Triumphs, MG. Jaguar, Lotus, Aston Martin and so on, that stopped or burned for some stupid electrical problem. I have a customer whose grandson says he has never made a destination yet when his granddad takes his Jaguar. Very few dealers have found it possible to import a English built car and survive the fallout from build and quality issues.
I've owned and loved English cars but to hear someone from that side of the pond crying about electrical problems after some of the fiascoes I've been through, with their offerings, irks me.
Can't remember his password?
To use a English phrase, what a wanker! Piss off mate! :biggrin:

the gt is one of the only super cars I would own. I normally dont like the way I feel when I ride with a friend in a true top end. I feel like a whore to be honest... but the gt is just..different to me. I dont know.

I would have kept it.

I guess Mr. Clarkson is fooling himself when he writes that he doesn't want an advantage by being a motor journalist. Of course he gets a special treatment by Ford, they are not that dumb. Or do you often hear from a guy that gets an Aston Martin DB 9 until he's ready for a new decision to buy a car?

Man, talk about mising the point. The real issue here is not the car, it is the security system. And I can really relate to Mr. Clarkson on this issue. Right now I am looking at a $900.00 bill to get my RL running again because I lost the only known key to it. The only person who can start my car is the thief who stole my keys: nice security they have there. More to the point, I've dealt with faulty car alarms for over 7 years now. Every company offers better and more improved, but I'm to the point where I'd prefer the things to not exist. There is obviously no standard that car alarms are held to, and the after-sales support is utterly nonexistant.

I would ask Ford to remove all security measures besides a key, then install my own remote kill switches. It sounds like the car is fine to me.

Read this story on another board. I can't believe it - Clarkson returns a 200K supercar b/c of a faulty security system? That's like returning a supermodel b/c she had a bout of gas. Stupid. I'll still watch TopGear and read his column in the magzine but, jeez, what a complete wuss. He should be ashamed...and his credentials as a motoring journalist should be suspended indefinitely. Well, maybe not that extreme but a lot of people should be exposing this wuss as a real wuss. Wuss.

More importantly, it was Clarkson's lack of patience that just cost him his dream car. :( Not just the security system.

Clarkson is negative towards japanese cars in general - especially Nissan's. (racist :p ) However, in one of his Special DVD's (the one with "Outrageous" in the title? i'd have to check) he and three other drivers try to determine the best car against a Porsche, Skyline, NSX, and some other models. It's a less than scientific test, but when driving the NSX Clarkson actually remarks to the camera "i'm having so much fun in this... i think i'll do another lap". :eek: The NSX makes it to the final group of best cars too. I'm not making this up -- i was shocked watching this.

Wow.
Once someone takes a stab at him, everyone follows suit. :rolleyes:

It's his money to spend how he see's fit.
The car was a headache time & time again. (you all read the article)

Supercar or not, I wouldn't want to put up with that on a daily/weekly basis either. :mad:

I bought an expensive supercar for a reason, and bringing it back to the
dealership time & time again is not one of them. He was more then patient,
and after much hassle he made a decision. Does he regret it? Perhaps,
but for the time being, he has a working DB9 to drive around and
ponder whether or not he wants to climb back into his (or another) GT.

xxx said:
Wow.
Once someone takes a stab at him, everyone follows suit. :rolleyes:

It's his money to spend how he see's fit.
The car was a headache time & time again. (you all read the article)

Supercar or not, I wouldn't want to put up with that on a daily/weekly basis either. :mad:

I bought an expensive supercar for a reason, and bringing it back to the
dealership time & time again is not one of them. He was more then patient,
and after much hassle he made a decision. Does he regret it? Perhaps,
but for the time being, he has a working DB9 to drive around and
ponder whether or not he wants to climb back into his (or another) GT.

my only comfort is that I took the 1st stab :rolleyes:

Ya know some think that when you spend $150K + (I beleive they are currently going for $190K), that they will get a car with total reliability. Nothing could be further from the truth. You aren't paying for reliability, you are paying for top of the line technology. If you want reliable, sitck with an Accord. Otherwise compare the upside to the downside and figure out if you want to play or not.

And as for the security systems, they will become more instrusive for the actuall owner in attempts to keep thiefs at bay. It is the natural progression. Without these big steps, criminals will continue to steal what they want when they want.

Maybe there are "stabs" b/c the guy's logic deserves it? Nah, must be the lemming/mob mentality. Ok, to be different, my scathing post is intended to...

stab stab stab and then twist. :rolleyes:

Seriously, after thinking about it Clarkson is even more of a complete and utter wuss.

Ponyboy said:
Maybe there are "stabs" b/c the guy's logic deserves it? Nah, must be the lemming/mob mentality. Ok, to be different, my scathing post is intended to...

stab stab stab and then twist. :rolleyes:

Seriously, after thinking about it Clarkson is even more of a complete and utter wuss.

he was just mad... but he is a smart guy and a great journalist.

One bad car does not mean that the rest are also bad. Maybe people at the dealership are making fun of him. I also like the FordGT. Just switch it with another FordGT. Would love to hear what JayKay and Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) remarks on the car.

That is really sad - rip that freaking alarm out of the car and enjoy it. I would love a GT, what a beautiful car. I have seen 2 on the road in the past month - breathtaking.

I hate alarm systems anyway. My thoughts are if they want the car they are going to take it and these days nobody pays attention to car alarms. I sure hope thgis guy buys te car back and scraps the alarm - I would.

Jin1976 said:
One bad car does not mean that the rest are also bad. Maybe people at the dealership are making fun of him. I also like the FordGT. Just switch it with another FordGT. Would love to hear what JayKay and Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) remarks on the car.

Rowan Atkinson couldent be pried away from his F1 for anything.... no new supercar for him :rolleyes:

NSX-Racer said:
I guess Mr. Clarkson is fooling himself when he writes that he doesn't want an advantage by being a motor journalist. Of course he gets a special treatment by Ford, they are not that dumb. Or do you often hear from a guy that gets an Aston Martin DB 9 until he's ready for a new decision to buy a car?

You need to read more closely, or perhaps the difference is lost in translation? He never said he does not take advantage of being a motor journalist. He said he does not profit from it, e.g. flipping cars for a profit he is able to obtain as a result of who he is. That is different than accepting perks such as a nice loaner car from a manufacturer.

I disagree with the people bashing him. For that price and that many attempts at repair the damn thing should work. And based on the article it's not "just" an alarm system. He was receiving calls telling him the car was stolen, which sounds more like an OnStar type system. Perhaps it is a little more integrated and no so easy to just "rip out".

Back