• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Classic Car plates in CT, worth it?

The topic of Classic Car plates recently came up and I decided to do some research. Turns out that in CT, if your car has Classic Car plates the local assessor can only value the car up to $500 when determining property tax obligations.

Based on the requirements (see here), it would appear that one could effectively pay minimal property taxes simply by switching to Classic Car plates...is this correct or am I missing something? Has anyone else done this in CT?

Last edited:
According to the rules, no limit on driveablility. They do mention about "stock" condition, which could disqualify you if you have a lot of mods. It would be great if you can do this, I lived in CT for about ten years (30 years ago), and they got me pretty good for my 911 Porsche at the time. That was originally used in place of state income taxes around 1986, by 1988 CT added income tax and kept the car tax too......Who would have thought:):):)....

Back