• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cleaning aluminum - discolored anodized parts

Falcon Heights, MN - no Falcons - no Heights
My battery tray and spare tire holder is looking 20 years old - now too bad - but could look nicer.
What is the best way to clean these parts up?
I am concerned that any abrasive cleaning may remove any remnants of anodizing that remain.
Do I give up and use something abrasive and clear coat after or does anyone have any other insight?

Tired of my questions yet?

Al

Another great solution is dry-ice blasting. It's basically a media blaster that is safe on the aluminum and soft rubber/electrical bits. Here in the states there are companies that rent the machines out- usually for industrial cleaning- but I'm sure you could have them come to do your car if you have access to a lift. I'm dying to do this on my NSX.

Another great solution is dry-ice blasting. It's basically a media blaster that is safe on the aluminum and soft rubber/electrical bits. Here in the states there are companies that rent the machines out- usually for industrial cleaning- but I'm sure you could have them come to do your car if you have access to a lift. I'm dying to do this on my NSX.

Just watching that video was therapeutic. Awesome....

Back