• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cleaning Throttle Body

Tried using the search function on how to clean the throttle body. Most of the feedback I got is to use a carb cleaner or the likes and spray it into the throttle body while the engine is running.

However, I wanted to open up the throttle body and clean it manually to ensure total cleanliness. My question is, how do I actually do that and what parts do I need to clean? Pictures are highly appreciated.

You might want to remove the corrugated intake hose from the throttle body and use a flashlight (maybe an inspection mirror) to inspect the body; you may find that it is clean. The throttle plate can be opened and closed at the throttle body by rotating the mechanism where the throttle cable (assuming pre ’97) attaches. When reinstalling the intake hose, be careful to not over tighten the hose clamp.

If you find that it is dirty then you can spray in a liberal amount of carb cleaner and try to wipe out the residue with a shop towel. Be careful not to bend or otherwise damage the throttle plate as it is made of thin material.

I would recommend against removing the throttle body until one has studied the Service Manual and has in hand all the necessary replacement gaskets and hoses.

is it a big job to remove the throttle body if an experienced shop does it? just wondering about labor... id love to have the thing polished :).

I don’t think it’s that big of a job for a good shop. Maybe a ½ -1 hour taking it off and 1-2 putting it back on, but this is only a guess. There are several hoses and a few components that attach to the body, components you may or may not want to remove. Take a look at SM page 11-116. The shop may need to order new hoses and/or gaskets if necessary. For a DIY project, the most difficult task is dealing with the throttle cable, especially the install—but there are good directions in the SM.

DanO

Back