• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clear Bra???: Brand, Installer in Bay Area, Cost, Pros/Cons

I just picked up an '05 NSX-T Silverstone/Onyx a little more than a week ago. I was considering having a clear bra (3M type) installed. I have some questions if you don't mind:

1. What are the Pros of a clear bra?
  2. What are the Cons of a clear bra?
  3. Cost?
  4. Recommended Bay Area installers?
  5. Care?
  6. How well do they hold up (peeling, yellowing, etc...)?

Congrats once again!!

Since your car is brand new, I highly recommend a clear bra for your car if you have the money.

1. What are the Pros of a clear bra?
    - It will protect your paint from most minor rocks and chips. If damaged it can be removed without damage to the paint and then a new clear bra can be applied.
  2. What are the Cons of a clear bra?
    - only cost, really.
  3. Cost?
    - anywhere from $500 - $800, depending on coverage and discount.
  4. Recommended Bay Area installers?
  5. Care?
    - minimal care needed. Wash like normal.
  6. How well do they hold up (peeling, yellowing, etc...)?
    - They hold up VERY well. Don't really peel, unless you really try to do it.

Has anyone heard of or know anyone who has had a clear bra installed by:

Clear Armor:
Precision Car Care
2239 Old Middlefield Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043

If so, how was the install?

They quoted me $1100 for the kit (3M) and install. This includes front bumper (upper & lower), front deck, front fenders, mirrors, door trim, side air intakes, rear upper bumper (truck piece).

Send PM to "Cairo94507" - his name is Michael. He's very nice. He had a clear bra kit installed on his car and it looks pretty good. I think he has the name of a good installer with a price better than $1100. See this <A HREF="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45141" TARGET="new">this thread</A> for his comments. OOPS. Sorry. I just noticed that the link to the clear bra thread was already listed.

In my opinion, if you leased the vehicle I wouldn't apply the clear bra. Mainly because the vehicle will be returned to dealership and as long it is not unreasonably rockchipped, it shouldn't matter. On the other hand, if you purchased the vehicle it could be different.

cls6sp03 said:
Has anyone heard of or know anyone who has had a clear bra installed by:

Clear Armor:
Precision Car Care
2239 Old Middlefield Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043

If so, how was the install?

They quoted me $1100 for the kit (3M) and install. This includes front bumper (upper & lower), front deck, front fenders, mirrors, door trim, side air intakes, rear upper bumper (truck piece).

I believe this is the same outfit that applies the 3M clear bra at Niello Acura/Porsche. I posted a while back that Niello Acura was offering a special discount to NSXCA members on the NSX clear bra. You may want to give them a call. The price was $600.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27706&highlight=Hrant

HTH

Edit: found the thread; see post #14

Last edited:
Ennesssex said:
In my opinion, if you leased the vehicle I wouldn't apply the clear bra. Mainly because the vehicle will be returned to dealership and as long it is not unreasonably rockchipped, it shouldn't matter. On the other hand, if you purchased the vehicle it could be different.

I appreciate your thoughts. However, even though I've leased the vehicle, I will most like be purchasing it after the lease is up.

Hrant said:
I believe this is the same outfit that applies the 3M clear bra at Niello Acura/Porsche. I posted a while back that Niello Acura was offering a special discount to NSXCA members on the NSX clear bra. You may want to give them a call. The price was $600.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27706&highlight=Hrant

HTH

Edit: found the thread; see post #14

everyone, thx for all the info...

I just spoke to Niello Acura/Porsche they said the Clear Armor kit is the one the sell. They have a reseller of Clear Armor local to them do the installs. Clear Armor (who trained the reseller Niello uses) is based in Mountain View, CA which is only a few miles from me. Also, Nielo said they will sell the Clear Armor premium kit to me for $995. However, I'm not too kean on driving 130 miles to get the kit installed. So Clear Armor said they could sell me the kit at the same price as Niel.

I'm looking into getting Acura of Pleasanton (where I got the car) to order the kt at their cost to see if I can get a better price. They have done this type of stuff for me before.

Take my advice and ask for Vince Gregory the General Manager at Niello Acura when you call Niello. Tell him that Hrant referred you based on his offer of last year re the $600 deal on the clear coat. The price of $600 was the offer from the GM and not the parts manager who is "relatively" new. If you are referred to Chuck in parts the department note to him the deal with Vince.

On the other hand, 130 miles is a distance even at some $300 savings. If they match the $600, you have the best of all worlds.

Hrant said:
Take my advice and ask for Vince Gregory the General Manager at Niello Acura when you call Niello. Tell him that Hrant referred you based on his offer of last year re the $600 deal on the clear coat. The price of $600 was the offer from the GM and not the parts manager who is "relatively" new. If you are referred to Chuck in parts the department note to him the deal with Vince.

On the other hand, 130 miles is a distance even at some $300 savings. If they match the $600, you have the best of all worlds.

Thx, I think I will call Vince Gregory tomorrow.

Anything I can help with?? I know a thing or two about the 3M Clear Bra. ;)

I was never able to get a hold of Vince Gregory, but did get a call from one of Niello Acura's finance officers who gave me a very good price. However, I ended up going directly to Clear Armor instead of having Niello Acura's remote installer do it. Got a very reasonable deal and an excellent install.

cls6sp03 said:
I was never able to get a hold of Vince Gregory, but did get a call from one of Niello Acura's finance officers who gave me a very good price. However, I ended up going directly to Clear Armor instead of having Niello Acura's remote installer do it. Got a very reasonable deal and an excellent install.

Finance handles the clear bra. I talked to both Vince and the Finance Director last week in anticipation of your call per the above post.

So if I understand this scenario correctly, you leveraged the price that Niello Acura extended to the NSXCA by asking Clear Armor to match the same price when they initially quoted you almost twice as much; that is $600 vs $1100. Right?

Hrant said:
Finance handles the clear bra. I talked to both Vince and the Finance Director last week in anticipation of your call per the above post.

So if I understand this scenario correctly, you leveraged the price that Niello Acura extended to the NSXCA by asking Clear Armor to match the same price when they initially quoted you almost twice as much; that is $600 vs $1100. Right?

I think you're reading this wrongly... I sent you a PM to explain how things played out.

NSX-Tuner said:
I think you're reading this wrongly... I sent you a PM to explain how things played out.

No problem. I too would be somewhat confused with my post. Responded to your PM as well.

Competition is great, it keeps us all honest ;)

RyRy210 said:
Besides it being invisible, are there any other advantages over a conventional bra that Acura sells?

• Won't scuff the paint. Can be removed later if necessary without lifting OEM paint.
  • Protects the headlights
  • Protects side mirrors
  • protects intake rear vent-scope edges
  • Protects door edge
  • Protects rear bumper area
  • Protects gas fill area
  • Don't have to worry about it getting wet.
  • Easy to clean using something like detailers spray and a micro-weave towel
  • Protects front bumper, spoiler, fender wing, hood
  • Optionally, can be applied to rocker panels

Hey NSX-tuner,...In the Bay Area, you can't go wrong with Premier Mobile. I had them redo my 360 with Venture tape because Clear Armor did such a bad job initially. The orange peel texture from the 3M was unbareable as well. All is well now though. Premier does a lot of work on exotics, which is why I went with them. They only thing is that they are not cheap. But I believe you get what you pay for.

Contact Sam at [email protected]. Here is a link to some of their work and good info about clear bras. The red modena is mine. :smile:

http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/forum/showthread.php?t=49553

erik76 said:
Hey NSX-tuner,...In the Bay Area, you can't go wrong with Premier Mobile. I had them redo my 360 with Venture tape because Clear Armor did such a bad job initially. The orange peel texture from the 3M was unbareable as well. All is well now though. Premier does a lot of work on exotics, which is why I went with them. They only thing is that they are not cheap. But I believe you get what you pay for.

Contact Sam at [email protected]. Here is a link to some of their work and good info about clear bras. The red modena is mine. :smile:

http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/forum/showthread.php?t=49553

I appreciate the info and who knows, I may need it later on. However, I had the Clear Armor bra installed at the Clear Armor facility (not by a mobile installer) a few weeks ago. They did an excellent job and I can hardly see the clear bra. Time will tell how it holds up.

BTW, I read somewhere that when 3M first came out with the tape, it didn't have any orange-peel. The orange-peal was added later on to blend better with most cars that have orange-peeled finishes. But since Ferraris in general have less than normal orange-peel, the 3M tape stands out more on Ferraris.

Also, saw your car (well part of it). There's nothing like Ferrari Red... :D

NSX-Tuner,...great to hear you have your paint protected from those nasty chips... Just thought I could help. :smile:

Yeah,...I wish they posted more pics of my 360, but I guess they wanted to post more variety of cars.

As for the orange-peel texture on the 3M film, I don't really think that it is totally intentional because I heard that 3M came out with their newer film last year, and they attempted to make it clearer so that there will be less orange peel texture. But it still exists. I've also read that the clearer the film, the more the natural texture of the car will show through. In any case, it all works to protect our paint. :smile:

Back