• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clear Bra

Five years ago, I had Ventureshield on two of my C6 Corvettes and the stuff yellowed in less than one year. I have used nothing but 3m on all three of my NSX's. No issues with the 3m!

Last edited:
Most if not all clear bras will yellow over time - some faster than others - its very related to how much exposure the material gets to elements (sun, rain, dirt, snow, etc) and how well the film is maintained (waxed regularly, etc).

So, for your question, it depends on the useage for the car.

3M is better for a car that spends time outdoors (eg parked at work regularly, parked outside, etc). It has a clear coat on it and is a more durable product. Downside is that it's not as clear as Venture and shows some orange peel in the film itself.

Ventureshield is better (assuming its still the "old" venture product) for cars that are parked inside most of the time (like most NSX garage queens - like mine). It's the most clear product on the market, but is not as durable and scuffs easier than 3M.

So you have to decide if you want clearer or more durable.

You do have other choices.

About a year and a half ago I went with the XPEL clear bra. It was professionally installed to exacting specs and looks fantastic. The bra comes with a conditioner that you use on the film after every couple of washes. The only slightly negative comment I'll make about the XPEL product is it does have a slight orange peel look when viewed from certain angles. I do not regret buying the product.

There's been discussion on this before ... like here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1463652

I also found this thread on a Mini forum: look at post #12 ...
http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hgard-vs-ventureshield-which-is-the-best.html

Whatever you decide, just make sure your installer is experienced and will stand behind their work. :wink:

I too went with the Xpel clear bra. <O:p></O:p>
Had the entire front half of the car done (did not want a line across the hood). <O:p></O:p>
Also had a 6 inch strip done behind the back wheels for rock jumping up on the lower quarter panel and had the front of the mirrors covered and the little door indentation where finger nails would rub when opening the door. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Xpel has 2 types of material. I went with the more expensive "Premium film" with the non orange peel for the hood and mirrors and the standard material for the upper and lower bumper. <O:p></O:p>
When you look carefully, you can see a slight difference between the films.<O:p></O:p>
Overall very happy with the material. Very difficult to see that it was even done.<O:p></O:p>
I believe Expel has their headquarters here in San Antonio and the guys who train other Xpel folks from around the country did my car. Did an amazing job in about 6 hours.<O:p></O:p>
They cut all the films with a CAD CAM program here in SA and then ship around the country. They have a program with just about every car made and can custom cut all the pieces needed to cover any car you would want. <O:p></O:p>
Local Ferrari dealer and Porsche dealer use them as well.<O:p></O:p>
Not cheap - but a really good job.<O:p></O:p>

^+1. I have the Xpel clear bra on my '97 as well. Did the entire front end, plus mirrors, a-pillars and front edge of the roof. Does have a slight orange peel look on the hood but it's there for protection, don't care that it's not invisible. Had it done here in Nashville by Lane NaiQuin at Performance Films and he's the best around. Cost about $1100 but worth it for the peace of mind. Would do it all over again and should have done it sooner---

Back