• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Click No Crank?

I have an issue with my 91 NSX. When i turn the key to the start position all I get a is a click from the dash area and that is it. The lights in the cluster light up but nothing else happens. I have tried putting another battery in but still have the same issue. I am thinking either ignition switch or possibly starter? I am not new to working on cars but am new to the NSX world. I thought maybe you guys could help me as maybe this could be a common issue in the NSX community. Any help is appreciated.

A bad main relay will not prevent cranking. I would suspect the starter. There are threads on here about rebuilding the starter with a set of contacts available on eBay. The bad ignition switch generally seems to prevent running once the engine fires.

A bad main relay will not prevent cranking. I would suspect the starter. There are threads on here about rebuilding the starter with a set of contacts available on eBay. The bad ignition switch generally seems to prevent running once the engine fires.

i agree. this happened to me,and i started a thread with almost the same title, it was "click,no start." it did need a new starter.i'm not mechanically minded enough to rebuild one,but did save quite a bit of money by getting a denso reman'd starter from advance auto for about $200.i only use aftermarket parts if i'm convinced they are as good as oem and in this case i was.an oem denso starter was about $900.this was 3-4 years ago and it has started fine ever since.

Also we have had discussions about the "Starter Cut Relay" circuit, and the switch located near the clutch pedal. The small button enables the switch, and this has caused many issues like you are having, no starter engagement.

Was not thinking of this when I PM'ed you;)....

HTH,
LarryB

Check the clutch position switch. There are 2 switches. The plastic will break over time, and the switch cannot make contact with the clutch in. Just happened to my 91.

No start

There are three things you have to check after confirming you have a good battery. Check and clean the battery grounds at the battery and under the air filter box. Next, pull your ignition switch and open it up and clean both sides of the contacts. Lastly, remove the starter and open up the cover that houses the solenoid plunger and contacts. Put the plunger in a drill press or drill and clean the copper ring with fine emery paper or 400 sand paper. Hold the emery cloth on the copper ring as the plunger turns in the drill. Carefully remove the contacts and sand them until they look like a new penny.Put it all back together and add a little grease to the plunger shaft. Bench check the starter. If all tests well, put the starter back in the car and you should be good to go. Remember, anytime you remove any electrical component, remove the neg. side of the battery. There are a few great threads on this forum about removing the starter and cleaning the ignition switch. You can also buy a new plunger and contact set for about $15, but cleaning works just as well. Jerry

I just got around to looking at this over the weekend and it ended up being the clutch interlock switch. I jumped it and it fired right up. Man, that was the hardest interlock switch to reach I have ever seen! Do you guys remove the drivers seat to do work under that dash or just work around it? Thanks for all the advice/help.

Awesome. I didn't realize it would make a click sound if the clutch switch isn't activated. Thanks for reporting. It's definitely more comfortable to remove the seat but I usually end up contorting around it anyway.

Back