• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Climate Control Board Repair Success!

Well, it took a whole day to perform from start to finish, but hey it beats shelling out $700+ for a new board...

A few days back I started a thread asking if anyone else with a 97+ had their climate control boards fail: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49556

It turns out that yes, I was not alone. I also asked if anyone had a list of the electrolytic capacitors that were on the board. Unfortunately no-one could point me to a list so that I could order them before I started tearing my car apart, and possibly getting stuck having to mail order some of them because my local shop did not have them in stock.

So for all you future do-it-yourself board repairers, here is the list of electrolytic capacitors on the board:

1. One 0.47uf, 50Volt
2. One 3.3uf, 50Volt
3. One 22uf, 16Volt
4. One 22uf, 35Volt
5. Four 47uf, 35Volt
6. One 47uf, 50Volt
7. One 100uf, 10Volt
8. One 100uf, 35Volt
9. One 330uf, 10Volt
10. One 330uf, 35Volt

All of the capacitors are rated for 105 degrees Celsius. These higher temp electrolytic capacitors are not typically carried at most electronics stores, most stores carry the ones rated at 85 degrees Celsius. The lower rated temperature ones are OK to use, but they may or may not last as long as your original higher temp rated ones did.

For my repairs, I decided to replace the electrolytic caps where ever possible, with more heat tolerant, longer lasting Tantalum Capacitors. They are more expensive than electrolytic caps, but they will never again have to be replaced (at least not for 20 or more years, even in the hottest environments). If you want to get a little more information about different types of Capacitors and their applications, here is a pretty good site:
http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_capa.htm

Now, I guess I was lucky in that I only had two caps (C44 - a 22uf 35V cap, and C32 - a 47uf 50V cap) that had actually shorted out on my board as you can see in the first picture here: http://home.earthlink.net/~douglasnicholson/id1.html

Each of the two shorted capacitors leaked their acid out, and burned out a trace on the board. I am lucky enough to have electronics workstations where I work that are equipped with microscopes and the tools needed to repair burned out traces, but as long as you have a little electronics experience and have a good magnifying glass you can simply follow each burned out trace to the next component on the board that the capacitor was supposed to be connected to, and solder a small wire between them to solve the problem. The second shot on the page listed above is of my quick trace repairs on C32, its the cap just to the right of the 4 large transisitors. Sorry its a little blurry, but if you look closely you can see the new sliver trace repair coming off the leg of the capacitor. Its also one of the capacitors that I could not replace with a Tantalum because there currently is not a Tantalum available in 47uf that is rated for 50Volts (35Volts yes, but not 50Volts).

Well, best of luck if you are about to attempt this repair. :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks Brian it wasn't bad at all. The part that made me the most nervous was taking the center console apart, not the board repair. :biggrin:

dnicho05 said:
So for all you future do-it-yourself board repairers, here is the list of electrolytic capacitors on the board:

1. One 0.47uf, 50Volt
2. One 3.3uf, 50Volt
3. One 22uf, 16Volt
4. One 22uf, 35Volt
5. Four 47uf, 35Volt
6. One 47uf, 50Volt
7. One 100uf, 10Volt
8. One 100uf, 35Volt
9. One 330uf, 10Volt
10. One 330uf, 35Volt

All of the capacitors are rated for 105 degrees Celsius. These higher temp electrolytic capacitors are not typically carried at most electronics stores, most stores carry the ones rated at 85 degrees Celsius. The lower rated temperature ones are OK to use, but they may or may not last as long as your original higher temp rated ones did.

Good info, but a search would have saved you some time.

I had my console apart so many times I could do it blindfolded. Someone here on prime claimed that they did it while driving to a friends house. :eek:
The hardest part is releasing the clips for the vent, not hard to do just hard to explain to someone.

Last edited:
White94 said:
Good info, but a search would have saved you some time.
I did search, and I did find that one, I guess I just didnt read far enough down and missed the listing of the cap values. The one thing it did not mention though was that the caps are rated at 105 degrees Celsius, and not the typical 85 degrees Celcius.

Briank said:
I had my console apart so many times I could do it blindfolded. Someone here on prime claimed that they did it while driving to a friends house. :eek:
The hardest part is releasing the clips for the vent, not hard to do just hard to explain to someone.

Yup, thats the bear of the job. I just made sure to put a smooth piece of thin cardboard between the vent piece and the rest of the console to make sure not to scratch things like everyone said to do.

dnicho05 said:
I did search, and I did find that one, I guess I just didnt read far enough down and missed the listing of the cap values. The one thing it did not mention though was that the caps are rated at 105 degrees Celsius, and not the typical 85 degrees Celcius.

Nope, would have had to go here for that. :wink:

In case anybody is looking in the future, 105deg caps are black. 85deg caps are blue. dnicho05 right, get the black ones.

White94 said:
Nope, would have had to go here for that. :wink:

In case anybody is looking in the future, 105deg caps are black. 85deg caps are blue. dnicho05 right, get the black ones.

OK that's great White94, so where were you last week when I actually needed and was requesting this information here

I posted this to helpful to other people trying to perform this themselves. It contains the most useful information for this repair all in one place, including some information on the specific trace repairs that I had to make on my board. It also contains links to information on capacitors not found in other threads.

dnicho05 said:
OK that's great White94, so where were you last week when I actually needed and was requesting this information here
Easy there, killer! I wasn't trying to piss you off or be insulting, and I DID try and help you in that other thread. When I read this post, I assumed you had the info you needed and stopped reading the thread.

dnicho05 said:
I posted this to helpful to other people trying to perform this themselves. It contains the most useful information for this repair all in one place, including some information on the specific trace repairs that I had to make on my board. It also contains links to information on capacitors not found in other threads.
Yes it does, and now they are all nicely cross linked in case the next person comes across this thread in a search. If they want pictures, an online source, or even DigiKey part numbers then they are all good!

Seriously, take it easy on the coffee this morning, huh?

White94 said:
Easy there, killer! I wasn't trying to piss you off or be insulting...

Sorry, it was not my intension to come across as angry. I'm not, I should have put a :rolleyes: or :wink: after my "where were you last week" comment, because I honestly could have used some of the links you listed last week. Since I didn't have them then, I was not able to locate all of the Tantalum caps that I wanted to replace the electrolytics with (I did find most but not all in Tantalum. For the ones I couldn't find in Tantalum, I had to use regular electrolytic). So, some time in the future, I will probably have to pull this board again, but hopefully not for many years.

dnicho05 said:
Sorry, it was not my intension to come across as angry. I'm not, I should have put a :rolleyes: or :wink: after my "where were you last week" comment, because I honestly could have used some of the links you listed last week. Since I didn't have them then, I was not able to locate all of the Tantalum caps that I wanted to replace the electrolytics with (I did find most but not all in Tantalum. For the ones I couldn't find in Tantalum, I had to use regular electrolytic). So, some time in the future, I will probably have to pull this board again, but hopefully not for many years.

Ah, my bad - I'll take it easy on the coffee this morning too! Glad to know all is working, you are going to enjoy having the A/C here shortly, methinks.

Does anyone know if the factory ever "upgraded" the board or is a new one from the factory likely to fail in the same time frame?
Sulley

It looks like they last 8 to 12 years depending on where you live. I have not heard of a failure of a replacement board but that could happen in a couple of years when some cars turn 16 years old. 105C caps are about the best you can use, I think 125C are available but they are expensive and really only used for military equipment where cost is secondary to reliability.

Back