• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Climate Control gone funky

On a trip to PVGP this past weekend, my AC seemed to suddenly lose a lot of its cooling capacity. It still put out some cool air, but struggle to keep up with the 95 degree weather. Before it started acting up it was more like a refrigerator, and then suddenly a lot less. I assumed it wasn't a refrigerant leak as I wouldn't expect that to happen suddenly, yet still have some cooling. I assumed it was the notorious capacitors failing in the climate control unit. I pulled the CCU, expecting to find leaking or swollen electrolytic capacitors but didn't find any such problems. Is the failure mechanism usually visible? Thanks for any assistance.

Gary

I've never seen a climate control thread on here where the board was in question and the solution didn't end up being 'send it to BrianK.' I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm not sure this is an issue that anyone here really tries to fix on their own. The knowledge base may not be there.

There are two AC condensers each with its own fan. Located directly ahead of front wheel inside the fender liner. See the louvers in the liner?

The AC cooling fan fuses blow out routinely.

Lots of discussions and information in the wiki.....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ser-fans-not-working?highlight=ac+cooling+fan

Reinstall your AC control module.
Start engine...leave AC off....get out and listen to area in front of front wheel at louvered fender liner.
Now turn AC on and listen to the same area. The AC fan noise is quite clear if they are working.

Or. just check the AC fan fuses.

Ahhh! Didn't know that! Great! I will check that tonight and get back to you tomorrow. The fact that the failure happened so suddenly, makes that seem like a plausable senario. I have already run the CCU diagnostic (which tested OK) and have reinstalled it. Thanks for the reply. I'm on it!

Gary

There are two AC condensers each with its own fan. Located directly ahead of front wheel inside the fender liner. See the louvers in the liner?

The AC cooling fan fuses blow out routinely.

Lots of discussions and information in the wiki.....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ser-fans-not-working?highlight=ac+cooling+fan

Reinstall your AC control module.
Start engine...leave AC off....get out and listen to area in front of front wheel at louvered fender liner.
Now turn AC on and listen to the same area. The AC fan noise is quite clear if they are working.

Or. just check the AC fan fuses.
Hi NSXT,
I checked the condenser fans and they are both running. Actually, you can see them easily (on a model without pop-ups ) by opening the hood and looking behind the headlights with a flashlight. Thanks for the thoughts.

Gary

Last edited:
Back