• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CLK 55 AMG

Anyone know what kind of performance numbers these guys run? I just had one roll up on the way back from the gas station, he revved his engine and layed some track. The traffic situation was not good so I backed off.

Ken

I am not sure about pure numbers, but I drove one and it felt fast, nice torque curve. might be on par with some stock older NSX's, but doubtful it is faster than the 3.2.

Definitely don't mess with it in a stock 3.0L NSX. I've driven one and they are really fast. I agree though a modified 3.0L or stock 3.2L should take it but you're going to be surprised that this sedan is running damn close to you. Think about that... imagine an RL next to you...

It looked pretty quick, I think its a beautiful looking coupe. Any idea what they run for?
I'm running a 3.0w/air/headers/exhaust/supercharger/ stock gearing (not for long) it would have been fun but not at the cost of safety.

Power-to-weight ratio is a good approximation of acceleration. For this car, with 342 hp moving 3444 pounds, it's actually better than the NSX.
spank.gif
Edmunds has 0-60 times of 5.0 seconds. They show "true market value" pricing of a new one in the low seventies (which is over MSRP).

I've never been a fan of Mercedes chassis, but they sure make some stonkin' engines. Racing against them on the autobahn, Porsches and other sports cars don't stand a chance. In a drag race, or roll-on challenge, it comes down to the size of the engine. Nine times out of ten, I don't think that an NSX can beat a CLK 55 AMG. Mercedes called it their fastest production car, it is the definition of "A bull in a china shop".

You'll have to get every shift perfect, while the MB driver just mashes the peddle, and lets the engine and electonics do the rest. The car has a higher center of gravity and a more upright shape, so an NSX might have a chance around a long sweeper, or in a top speed contest. Back in the mid-eighties, even a Porsche 928 with a 4.7 liter engine couldn't touch a four door Mercedes (ol'fart mobile) with a five liter engine.

The hooker that lives downstairs has a client with a black on black CLK 55 AMG. It was the first Mercedes that I ever liked to look at. Call me old fashioned, but there is something I like about round/oval headlights. It was parked out front during a snowstorm, and even after eight inches (of snow!) had fallen, it made it uphill. As a joke, I backed my NSX out of the garage until just the front air dam made contact with the snow, and then tried to put the car back into the garage. It went sideways, and it took three tries.

I don't know much about MB's active-suspension/traction, but it sure works. One would think that it makes a good car great, but from what I hear, the MB is almost undriveable with it switched off. Personally, I don't like extra electronics, the idea of a fuse blowing and the suspension collapsing doesn't jive with me.

I would be interested in seeing what the performance of the CLK 5.5 liter AMG is like compared to the same chassis with the new MB 3.2 liter 354 hp engine.(The same power, without the extra displacement.) With the recent renewed interest in performance sedans, I bet the MB gets more respect than an NSX, and because it is an MB, it has a higher percieved quality, and more percieved class. Truth is, that Mercedes has quietly started to use Chrysler parts. The new assembly plants in Austria produce MBs, Jeeps, Prowlers, and the like, all on the same line. That can't be saying much for the quality.

"Racing against them on the autobahn, Porsches and other sports cars don't stand a chance."

Not trying to start an argument but those are some strong words, to be sure there are a few 911's that can keep up.
wink.gif

------------------
Jason

We can disagree without starting an argument. I only state my opinion based upon limited experience, as I don't trust the opinions of periodicals that sell advertising space to the same companies whose products they are reviewing. I have owned four Porsches, but that doesn't make me an expert by any means.

Back in the mid-eighties, when the exchange rate was favorable, and there was the "one car per person per lifetime" emissions exemption, I made a few trips to Germany to bring some cars over. On one trip, I purchased a 928S, and three Mercedes with 5.0 liter engines. One was a ten year old, another a new limo, and the other a new convertable roadster. The Porsche got spanked by all three.

Porsches in Germany are not as popular as I would have thought. They are a car for a pimp, drug dealer, or man going through a second mid-life crisis. 911s are a lot of fun to drive and tinker with. I think this is because they are a rear engined car, which mechanically is a silly idea, but they have been refined over the years. They get alot of traction, but in bad weather, they go straight no matter what the steering wheel input. The first time I made a lane change on the highway, I almost hit the center divider, the front end is so light at speed.

At very high speeds, they get sloppy. You know how an NSX pushes the front during a high speed turn, imagine having half the grip. How a whale-tail spoiler on the back is supposed to help settle a car with too much weight over the back, I'll never understand.

As far as engines, I think the horizontally opposed design runs out of steam over 100 mph, which justifies Porsches continued use of turbos. The new water cooled engines are much more efficent, and less sensitive to temperature, but still only accelerate half as fast as an NSX over 100 mph.

When driving on the Autobahn, most trips are lengthy, not short bursts of spirited driving. Having a larger engine, that has to work less, means that it has more in reserve than a smaller maxed out engine with twin turbos, intercoolers, and high compression pistons. Also, having the engine over the steering wheels helps settle the car at very high speeds.

If acceleration was all important, we would all be driving Vipers. Too bad the NSX is so under-appreciated here in the states where "Bigger is better". This "Super-Size it!" mentality doesn't improve the breed, only the performance numbers. Heck, American cars became so wimpy, that trucks became the new muscle cars.

Again, these are only my personal opinions, and are subject to my own experiences and prejudices. Your mileage may vary.

Back