• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch City, show me your CLUTCHES!!!!

So, I'm in the market for a new clutch. I'm having trouble deciding on what clutch to go with.

I was wondering what clutches we have in the Houston area that I might be able to "test" out.

Please let me know. In exchange, dinner on me! Or if you come to the Breakfast GTG, breakfast on me! :wink:

Are you not happy with the stock unit?

This is just my opinion, but I think the stock unit is ok. I guess I'm not a fan of the dual disk. It doesn't grab like I want it to.

My last NSX, I installed a Spec single disk w/lightweight flywheel. It was smooth as butter and when driving it aggressively, I could break the backend loose shifting into 2nd gear-meaning it grabbed hard when you needed it to. I could chirp the tires shifting, and when I was really trying to, I could get the back end to turn sideways a bit. But really, that feeling of clamping force is awesome, in my opinion.

The OEM clutch doesn't give you that same powerful clamping feel. Again, just my opinion, nothing wrong with the OEM. Plus, my OEM is old and starting to slip, and I'd like to replace it ASAP. :smile:

My last NSX... driving it aggressively, I could break the backend loose shifting into 2nd gear. I could chirp the tires shifting, and when I was really trying to, I could get the back end to turn sideways a bit.

And you want somebody to let YOU try this on THEIR car? :biggrin:

And you want somebody to let YOU try this on THEIR car? :biggrin:

haha, you're saying the NSX can't handle a little spirited shifting, ShiftyBob? I bet the Silverstone guys can! :tongue: :D

Really, I just want to get a feel for the other options our there. Don't plan on breaking anything loose, not even the tires. :smile:

Z

You can try out my RPS clutch but be forewarned....the last person I let drive my car then went out and bought a CTSC too

Z
You can try out my RPS clutch but be forewarned....the last person I let drive my car then went out and bought a CTSC too

Don't worry, there is little to no chance of me buying one, as I don't have the money. Now, if it's really that attractive, I may have to just steal one. Hmm, who do I know that has a CTSC??? :wink:

Btw, I've driven Nick's hi boost CTSC :eek: , and I'm already playing the lotto so I can get one. :biggrin:

Z,
You can try out my RPS clutch and my CTSC as well. I wonder where I got the idea for that combination? Thanks, Matt.
Teddy

this may sound stupid but can you run a single disc clutch in the 91-97 5 speeds???

Sorry u didn't like my clutch Z! I love the Excedy!

Guess I'm just a wuss. But I'm still a hardcore gangsta homie, as I scoop my cats litter. :biggrin:

this may sound stupid but can you run a single disc clutch in the 91-97 5 speeds???

Yes you can. You will need longer flywheel bolts and a new/modified clutch cover or something like that(or else the longer bolts will sightly rub the cover). Or you can just remove the cover all together. Any NSX mechanic will be able to install one in place of the dual disk.

could someone recommend a single disc clutch with part number? I dont track or race my car so I dont need a real heavy duty one but I do prefer a single disc clutch over a dual

could someone recommend a single disc clutch with part number? I dont track or race my car so I dont need a real heavy duty one but I do prefer a single disc clutch over a dual

So do I, but the OEM single disk is more expensive because of the flywheel. You can go aftermarket, but then you have to find one that you are comfortable with. Lots of people go with the RPS clutch, but the pedal feel is kinda heavy/firm. I'm leaning towards the Clutchmasters stage 3.

If you go with the RPS (not sure about the others), you should replace both the master and slave cylinders for the clutch line. They tend to give out with the increased pressure due to age.
Teddy

Dude, you tried my clutch and I saw no free breakfast!!

Doh, didn't you leave before breakfast?? Crap, I got so caught up chatting with everyone, I totally forgot. Next time, promise!

Back