• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

clutch grabs too low

So my dealer just had the engine out for a service and now the clutch grabs immediately after moving off the floor, and there's much more free play at the top of pedal travel. The clutch was "normal" previously.
Any ideas about how this could have happened and the best way to fix it? I just need to be armed with some info before I bring it back to them.

Take it back and tell them the clutch is grabbing too low. Anything you mention (to most advisors) about how to fix it will fall usually on deaf ears.My take: The clutch hydraulics need a good bleeding.

Larry has said the clutch system is self bleeding with use...so try using it more and it may improve on its own.

The clutch system has air in it. I am sure the end play is excessive. Bleed it, or drive it! The system will bleed itself, after a few hundred pumps;).........

HTH,
LarryB

I cracked my slave bleeder and let it gravity bleed while adding fluid as it got to the 1/2 mark. Only took a few minutes.

I just got a new clutch and master cylinder put in about 2 months ago. When I received the car back it did the same thing where it grabbed as soon as the clutch came off the floor, it was definitely odd and i asked the master tech about it and all he said was something along the lines of it was "normal" or it was "supposed to be that way" but within about a week and a half of driving, the clutch reverted to how it used to feel.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got a new clutch and master cylinder put in about 2 months ago. When I received the car back it did the same thing where it grabbed as soon as the clutch came off the floor, it was definitely odd and i asked the master tech about it and all he said was something along the lines of it was "normal" or it was "supposed to be that way" but within about a week and a half of driving, the clutch reverted to how it used to feel.

Again, this was due to improper bleeding. And the system is self-bleeding by just using it. If you were to look at the clutch fluid reservoir as you are pumping a system that is not properly bled, you will see every 20 or so pumps, bubbles in the reservoir. Once the bubble stop you are done, and your clutch will grab at the correct height:).

Also if you replace the clutch master, DO NOT adjust the rod to solve this, bleed it;). If you adjust it, when the air is out, you will have clutch slip, due to no end play, and then you will get to buy a new clutch, no fun......

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

Again, this was due to improper bleeding. And the system is self-bleeding by just using it. If you were to look at the clutch fluid reservoir as you are pumping a system that is not properly bled, you will see every 20 or so pumps, bubbles in the reservoir. Once the bubble stop you are done, and your clutch will grab at the correct height:).

Also if you replace the clutch master, DO NOT adjust the rod to solve this, bleed it;). If you adjust it, when the air is out, you will have clutch slip, due to no end play, and then you will get to buy a new clutch, no fun......

HTH,
LarryB

I think you need to tell this to my Acura dealer's Master Technician lol or if you could just come replace him thatd be nice

Back