• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Master Cylinder

Has anyone replaced their clutch master cylinder with a larger bore cylinder, to hopefully reduce the pedal pressure necesary when changing to Comptech Power-Grip clutch or equivalent? It is a B****h in evening bridge traffic, don't ya know?:rolleyes:

Also looking into this subject right now. I need to replace my clutch master cylinder and would like to replace it with a larger bore cylinder. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My hydraulics theory may be rusty but increasing the diameter of the master will not make it easier.

hehe i was just thinking the same thing. kept my mouth shut since my hydrolics theory is rusty as hell too. :redface:

you should be looking for a smaller bore which will displace less fluid but will be easier to push.

thats why they have duel bore brake cylinders where a the inital big bore diameter preasurizes the system and then the smaller bore does the work.

problem with a smaller bore is with less fluid displaced, the clutch slave cylinder has less travel which might not be enough to disengauge the clutch but can be over come with longer piston travel.

i would think this is a very neich market and the demand does not justify the supply to acturally make these items.

Rob:smile:

problem with a smaller bore is with less fluid displaced, the clutch slave cylinder has less travel which might not be enough to disengauge the clutch but can be over come with longer piston travel.

My leg hurts! (RPS clutch) and figure this has ruined my car for me.
Especially in heavy traffic and on long trips

I measured the pedal travel. The travel is a lot longer than the actual range where the clutch works. Like 4 inches travel. 1 inch is were the clutch works.
So a master cylinder half the size of the original one would increase that active range to 2 inches and half the force.

Does anyone know the diameter of the original master cylinder? Or have an idea what car has a master cylinder half the diameter?
My feeling is that halving the MC diameter (finding something that would be easy to modify to fit) is easier than doubling the slave cylinder but I might be wrong. Anyone?

Has anyone seen a simple brake master cylinder (like Tilton or whatever) that could be used? I guess I need to know what the diameter of a stock NSX clutch cylinder is…as a starting point.

Back