• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Pedal at Top - Now Slipping

Help. My clutch has started to slip, but only after I noticed that the pedal engagment point had quickly moved to the top. Do you think this is a clutch problem, a master/slave cylinder problem, or a hose problem??

I adjusted the engagement point at the fork under the dash but it made no difference.

What can I do to check?

Thanks,
John

Please provide us with additional information. Has the clutch ever been replaced? What year and mileage is your vehicle?

John,

I am experiencing the same thing on my 94. I will be replacing my clutch next week, as it stands now. The best advice I can give you is to set up an appointment with Steve Gooding in Raleigh. SJ (sjones) and several others in the Raleigh area can put you in touch with him. He is a trained tech with many years of experience. My first thought would be clutch though. These are all signs that it is going. As stated above, please provide with further details to get a better assessment. HTH. Good luck.

Chuck

I already have an appointment with Steve. I was just wondering if the symptom of the clutch pedal engagement rising to the top is normal. It was normal one day and seemed to be at the top the next.

BTW: The clutch is an RM Racing clutch with probably 20,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
John

1991 NSX Red/White

John,

I don't know much about the RM racing clutch, but it sounds like something other than the clutch itself with that few of miles on it. Steve will take care of it, whatever it is.

Chuck

Typically the clutch padel engagement will rise after an air bubble has escaped from the system. With that said, if your pedal grabbing all the way at the top, AND there is NO end play, this is most likely why it is slipping. It may require a readjustment.

HTH,
LarryB

Typically the clutch padel engagement will rise after an air bubble has escaped from the system. With that said, if your pedal grabbing all the way at the top, AND there is NO end play, this is most likely why it is slipping. It may require a readjustment.

HTH,
LarryB

Hi Larry, Does the NSX clutch self-adjust?

There is an adjustment, but there is very little need to make it. With an OEM clutch, if you replace the Master and/or Slave Cylinder, or replace the clutch with a NEW OEM, I have never had to adjust an NSX Clutch, IF it was set correctly from the get go.

Some aftermarket clutches may require adjustment, but for the most part you are adjusting the end play of the pedal, which really is an adjustment between the plunger(connected to the pedal) and the Clutch Master Cylinder piston(in the master on the firewall).

If the system is not bled properly, you will have too much end play, and attempt to adjust it. If this happens, as the air works it's way out of the system the pedal end play will decrease, and if all the free play goes away, well then you will get clutch slip.

HTH,
LarryB

Back