• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Pedal Popping?

Hi guys, was out for a drive tonight and was in some moderate traffic or so for 10 minutes. Stopped and had dinner, and on the way home, it seemed my clutch pedal would be sloppy and was kind of popping past the point of engagement, making it difficult to start out in first gear smoothly. Any ideas on what to initially check? Hoping it's something simple? When I returned home I noticed the same reaction/play with the car off in the garage. Hoping something just needs lubricating or adjusting as it was totally fine when I left and hour prior. I will check it again in the AM. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Well - surprised no one else chimed in.
I had similar issue, pumping the clutch would get it to work.
My master clutch cylinder was kaput - I could see oil inside on the carpet near the firewall where the clutch rod goes through the firewall.
My master cylinder was bad.
Not a big project unless you're a big person - you have to get a little upside down in the foot well to pull a pin off the clutch pedal.
Search on this and I expect there are many write-ups on part number and replacement hints.
I did both master and slave (at the transmission) at the same time.
Also - when posting for help it is a good idea to post your year and model - it makes it better to serve you sir.
Best wishes.

So, clutch reservoir was completely full. No visible leaks at the master cylinder or behind the pedals. I did notice a ton of dust, dirt and grime down there on the springs, so I cleaned extensively and lubricated. Drove the car about 6mi to the gym. Seemed very smooth when I first left, was able to shift very smoothly into first which was not the case last night, but by the time I got to the gym it seemed the "pop" or jerkiness returned somewhat. Could it be related to something once warmed up? If it continues I may just end up bringing it to the dealer

How old is the fluid? You could try to bleed the clutch and see if that helps. If not may be time for some new hydraulics. It could get notchy and not leak.

Back