• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch ... please look at my clutch .. see pic !!! thanks !!!

Hello everyone ... I need some advice ... I replaced the entire clutch in my 95 NSX at my local Acura dealer last September (they have an amazing NSX tech). It felt great when they replaced it but I noticed some clutch shudder so I decided to give it some time since I read it might need time to break in ... finally I hit over 1,000 miles on the new clutch (it took me 10 months ... this car is my baby so it took me a little time) and after a quick visit to tell my service advisor he told me to bring it in for service so today, they checked it out and I got the attached picture of it ... can you please tell me what you see wrong ... they said one section of it has some marks ... they are replacing the entire clutch completely under warranty but i still want to know what is wrong with the one they are replacing ... thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_9245.jpg
    IMG_9245.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 702
The question you are asking is very difficult/impossible to answer from a single grainy picture.
Perhaps the flywheel is warped? or the pressure plate?
You can't tell that from a picture and you need a series of measurements on the removed clutch.
If the dealer has a good tech he should be able to tell you after it's out and can be examined.

Have you downloaded the free shop manual in the Wiki?
All the steps to check the service limits of a clutch are covered in there and you can easily do the work yourself.
Then you could report back what you found and we can all learn something.

The question you are asking is very difficult/impossible to answer from a single grainy picture.
Perhaps the flywheel is warped? or the pressure plate?
You can't tell that from a picture and you need a series of measurements on the removed clutch.
If the dealer has a good tech he should be able to tell you after it's out and can be examined.

Have you downloaded the free shop manual in the Wiki?
All the steps to check the service limits of a clutch are covered in there and you can easily do the work yourself.
Then you could report back what you found and we can all learn something.

Thanks for the response ... as far as doing it myself ... I am good at taking care of the exterior of a car and can do minor things like change out some interior trim but I wouldn't feel comfortable attempting to change a clutch, anyway the dealer ended up replacing the clutch under warranty as the first one was faulty. The new one feels great ...

well the new one last time felt great for awhile. goodluck.

but the shudder will go away after awhile. if they did it correctly this time.

seems to me that they didnt intialize the plate closest to the block if they did some but not all of them this could happen.

Can anyone tell me why I read about so many shuddering/issues with new installed oem clutches on these cars? Is it more due to faulty parts or not following correct procedure? What extra steps can be taken during installation with these cars to ensure a trouble free ride?

Can anyone tell me why I read about so many shuddering/issues with new installed oem clutches on these cars? Is it more due to faulty parts or not following correct procedure? What extra steps can be taken during installation with these cars to ensure a trouble free ride?

I'm no expert but I can tell you the dealer had told me when they did the installation the first clutch they put in had a lot of shudder ... They then had new parts overnighted and did the job again.

As far as the installer he was an NSX tech and he knew the car backwards and forwards ... Again I'm no expert but the details he has explained mechanically about my car was incredible ... I am a major car fanatic and i felt like my car was in extremely good hands.

So bottom line if anything with my car I would say the shudder issue was because of the factory parts.

Guys,

I can only say this. I have installed more of these then I can count, well over 30. NEVER has a new clutch, installed as recommended by the service manual, EVER shuddered. The shudder is typically due to clutch dust collecting on the T/O bearing and associated parts over time, or improper grease (MUST BE - Honda UREA GREASE). Not 100% sure what the deal is here, but if it shuddered when new, the trouble was there from the beginning. They do not "stop shuddering" after awhile. Also have never had a "bad one" from the factory in the last 12-14 years.

My $.02........

Regards,
LarryB

Guys,

I can only say this. I have installed more of these then I can count, well over 30. NEVER has a new clutch, installed as recommended by the service manual, EVER shuddered. The shudder is typically due to clutch dust collecting on the T/O bearing and associated parts over time, or improper grease (MUST BE - Honda UREA GREASE). Not 100% sure what the deal is here, but if it shuddered when new, the trouble was there from the beginning. They do not "stop shuddering" after awhile. Also have never had a "bad one" from the factory in the last 12-14 years.

My $.02........

Regards,
LarryB

Hi Larry, maybe I am describing it incorrectly ... maybe I should have said clutch chatter ... I know you are the expert and I respect your opinion tremendously, I did a lot of research on this and I had seen a thread you posted in and you had said it is quite common what I am feeling

Your quote
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/107345-Clutch-chatter?p=1021838&viewfull=1#post1021838

but also here is the actual thread ....

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/107345-Clutch-chatter?p=1021838&viewfull=1#post1021838

I find with the NSX the clutch is more like an on/off switch. When driven at the point where you let the clutch out too slowly you get some chatter off of 1st gear ... it is not something felt in 2nd through 5th ...

Hi Larry, maybe I am describing it incorrectly ... maybe I should have said clutch chatter ... I know you are the expert and I respect your opinion tremendously, I did a lot of research on this and I had seen a thread you posted in and you had said it is quite common what I am feeling. I find with the NSX the clutch is more like an on/off switch. When driven at the point where you let the clutch out too slowly you get some chatter off of 1st gear ... it is not something felt in 2nd through 5th ...

I'm assuming you had the Acura Tech measure the clutch once it was out to see what was wrong with it.
What did he say?

I'm assuming you had the Acura Tech measure the clutch once it was out to see what was wrong with it.
What did he say?

They said it was covered under warranty and they would replace it ... Thanks !!

Last edited:
They said it was covered under warranty and they would replace it ... Thanks !!

I don't get it.
You send in a grainy pic of the clutch in your car and ask the forum what's wrong with it?
Then when the clutch is out of the car you don't bother asking the tech or service manager what was wrong with it?
If you didn't care what was wrong with it why did you bother to ask the question in the first place
Just wanting to waste everyone's time?

I don't get it.
You send in a grainy pic of the clutch in your car and ask the forum what's wrong with it?
Then when the clutch is out of the car you don't bother asking the tech or service manager what was wrong with it?
If you didn't care what was wrong with it why did you bother to ask the question in the first place
Just wanting to waste everyone's time?

Did you ever go to a doctors office and they start explaining a procedure and you understand about 30% of what they said, so you go on the internet to learn more. This is what happened in this case.

The dealer said something about hot spots and how they are only on one part of the flywheel and when I questioned if this is normal he said no which is why they are going to replace the clutch under warranty ... I know there are a lot of experts here that might see something very clearly that I of course would not and I wanted to learn more.

You ask about measurements being taken afterwards, obviously you know a lot more then I do about this type of thing and if you had mentioned it in your prior post while the dealer had the car I would have requested it if that would help determine what was wrong with it ...

The dealer said something about hot spots and how they are only on one part of the flywheel and when I questioned if this is normal he said no which is why they are going to replace the clutch under warranty ... I know there are a lot of experts here that might see something very clearly that I of course would not and I wanted to learn more.
You ask about measurements being taken afterwards, obviously you know a lot more then I do about this type of thing and if you had mentioned it in your prior post while the dealer had the car I would have requested it if that would help determine what was wrong with it ...

I did mention getting the clutch measured the same day you made your initial post.
Read the thread again.
Then when I asked what the tech said when he checked out the removed clutch and you gave a smart a.. answer about it being covered under warranty
Like I said a waste of everyone's time.

Yes and I described the same issue with chatter/shudder, but it comes with age, not new:)..

Hi Larry, maybe I am describing it incorrectly ... maybe I should have said clutch chatter ... I know you are the expert and I respect your opinion tremendously, I did a lot of research on this and I had seen a thread you posted in and you had said it is quite common what I am feeling

Your quote

but also here is the actual thread ....

I find with the NSX the clutch is more like an on/off switch. When driven at the point where you let the clutch out too slowly you get some chatter off of 1st gear ... it is not something felt in 2nd through 5th ...

Wow, this is disappointing to hear. I had my clutch {OEM} replaced 1000 miles ago. It shuttered from the moment I pulled away from the shop. I am vey gentle on my take offs and get zero shutter if I take off at near idle, but that's how I take off anyway. I guess I need to try giving her a little more rev to see if the shutter is still present. Otherwise, no complaints. FWIW I had a reputable shop that has replaced NSX clutches but this was not a dealership.
Guys,

My $.02........

Regards,
LarryB

In my experience ALL NSX clutches have ALWAYS had a tiny bit of shudder/chatter/judder -- even from new, if you give too much throttle on take off. Light throttle -- no shudder/chatter/judder.
I've had only one done (over 20 years ago -- I was the car's second owner) at the dealer -- all new parts (including flywheel)... I complained, they did the whole job over again... with the same result. (Still on that same, re-done clutch and it's fine.)
Just my $0.2.

Last edited:
I find that the NSX clutch has some chatter/shudder when releasing on the slower side but when driving for a day or two in a row I realize how this clutch likes to be released( kinda quickly) and those days the chatter is pretty minimal to none.
What gets me off tune with my NSX is that my daily manual transmission driver is a new 991S and that clutch is always smooth as can be ...

Not to argue, but I guess it's going to vary from car to car. My original clutch never ever chattered. Smoothest clutch I've ever felt.
In my experience ALL NSX clutches have ALWAYS had a tiny bit of shudder/chatter/judder -- even from new, if you give too much throttle on take off. Light throttle -- no shudder/chatter/judder.
I've had only one done (over 20 years ago -- I was the car's second owner) at the dealer -- all new parts (including flywheel)... I complained, they did the whole job over again... with the same result. (Still on that same, re-done clutch and it's fine.)
Just my $0.2.

If you go to any xpo and or do a group drive you will notice a very slight vibration of the rears spoiler of the car in front of you as they take off from a stop.....thats a reflection of a normal judder/shudder/woulda...

The other day I went back to my dealer and my service advisor who is a very nice guy was kind enough to show me the attached diagrams of how a clutch works (though my model has 2 discs not 1 like the diagram shows) I thought I’d share this with anyone who might be interested because I know when researching on the boards it is great to get as much information as possible.

He also had my parts still there so he opened the packaging and let me take some pictures of them as well.
Sorry I could not label each part but as I had mentioned earlier in this thread I am not a mechanic and I would probably mislabel them :wink:.

I hope this helps out anyone in the future who looks up this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_9338.jpg
    IMG_9338.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9340.jpg
    IMG_9340.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_93345.jpg
    IMG_93345.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9344.jpg
    IMG_9344.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9342.jpg
    IMG_9342.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9343.jpg
    IMG_9343.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I'd buy that from the dealer for the right price. Yes I would. :wink:
The other day I went back to my dealer and my service advisor who is a very nice guy was kind enough to show me the attached diagrams of how a clutch works (though my model has 2 discs not 1 like the diagram shows) I thought I’d share this with anyone who might be interested because I know when researching on the boards it is great to get as much information as possible.

He also had my parts still there so he opened the packaging and let me take some pictures of them as well.
Sorry I could not label each part but as I had mentioned earlier in this thread I am not a mechanic and I would probably mislabel them :wink:.

The interesting thing here is when looking at the clutch disk splines, I see absolutely NO grease;)........

Back