• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Problems -- Can't shift

Need some help. All of a sudden, I can't shift when the car is at rest. Can't reverse, shift to first or any other gear, except sometimes 2nd gear. So I have to get the car moving in 2nd gear (ouch). Once moving, I can shift, but the shifting isn't smooth. It's like the clutch isn't working when the car is at rest -- like the shifter is stuck in neutral. Any ideas what might be causing this? Do I need a new clutch? Or maybe something loose? 26K miles on the car.

What year is the car? Mileage isnt always the factor as age could be. Hows the clutch feel? Could be the clutch master or slave cylinders. If so you should change both. I would also replace the slave hose as well.

Check clutch fluid. If it's low or non existent, try adding fluid ---might help butttt, your slave or master cylinder is kaka. Have them replaced as a pair. The clutch-transmission hardware doesn't typically fail as described. huck

How does the clutch pedal feel? Have you checked the fluid level in the reservior? Have you checked the tranny fluid level? :confused:

BrianK said it first. I agree could be if its in range.

pull out the wallet its going to be drained. big time $$$$$$$

keep us posted.

You might just need to replace your clutch. Something may happen to your clutch or the spring on the clutch may have popped out. I'm just guessing.

As others have said, check your clutch fluid level. It is old enough for the seals in the slave and master cylinders to go bad.

Thanks for all the help. Although I've changed my brakes myself, and always change my oil and do other minor things myself, I don't know anything about clutches. Yes, the clutch fluid level was way below the minimum. Lesson learned: check the clutch fluid level as religiously as I check the oil level. I limped 2 blocks to the Acura dealer and bought some DOT 3 brake fluid and put it in. The shifting seems better, but there are still shifting problems. For example, can't shift to 1st gear or reverse from neutral. 2nd gear is a little easier. Two questions: 1. Could driving it for a few miles yesterday and a couple blocks today with such a low clutch fluid level (at least after the symptoms were extremely obvious) permanently damaged something? And or as nsxter said, the seals in the slave and master cylinders could be bad? 2. What's the estimated repair cost? Did some searching on the forum, and clutch replacement seems to be $1500-$2000 (will most likely be on the higher side since I'm in Hawaii). I prob should have preemptively replaced the seals in the slave and master cylinders a couple years ago when I bought the car at 14K, the same time I preemptively replaced the timing belt and water pump.

Low fluid means a leak. Replacing the seals (rebuild) is the cheapest parts wise but the labor ($) to rebuild the Master and Slave cost might offset the savings verses having new installed. I don't think you did any significant damage driving the car a bit.

The clutch fluid probably has some air in it from being way to low. My suggestion of adding more fluid might get you running a bit but that suggestion was a bandaid---not a fix! The system must be bleed (ie. air removed from the existing fluid) to function properly. You might as well have the fluid completely flushed out and refreshed as long as you are messing with it as it probably has never been done.

If the snap ring went out, I don't think you would not have inhibited 4,5,6th gear shifting--only the lower gears. I'm no expert on the 6 speed but on the 5 speed---I have in-depth recent history!!!
Huck

Check the behind the carpet by the clutch pedal (up under the dash.) If its wet with brake fluid the master is leaking (common problem) If thats the case replace the master, clean the area rel well. it is a good idea to replace both the master and slave at the same time.
Until you fix it, bleed the clutch. Although I have heard the clutch will eventually bleed itself, but you have a leak, so its just a matter of time. The leak will get worse.

Since you've added the fluid, does the clutch pedal feel normal again? If not it could be bypassing the seals and likey has air in the system. Since you do alot of your own work, replacing these items is not the toughest job.

Must be the weather in Hawaii. I'm having symptoms similar to you only on a smaller scale. Mine feels like the clutch is not always releasing fast enough when I shift and it's hard to get out of gear. Sometimes everything is fine. Sometime it's hard to get into gear. If I press the clutch, wait a half second or so then shift it seems to work smoother. Also twice while shifting into 2nd and 4th I got a bit of grind while the clutch was still pressed. Double clutching seems to help a bit too. Maybe worn syncros already? I havn't check trana fluid level yet though.

I inspected my snap ring last week when I started noticing the problem and it's okay. I have lots of fluid in the clutch master. I have 49K on my 92. Could I too have a bad clutch slave? Or do you guys think it's a worn clutch. Clutch doesn't seem to be slipping.

Anyway, RatedNSX let me know what you find out as Im on Oahu too

Must be the weather in Hawaii. I'm having symptoms similar to you only on a smaller scale. Mine feels like the clutch is not always releasing fast enough when I shift and it's hard to get out of gear. Sometimes everything is fine. Sometime it's hard to get into gear. If I press the clutch, wait a half second or so then shift it seems to work smoother. Also twice while shifting into 2nd and 4th I got a bit of grind while the clutch was still pressed. Double clutching seems to help a bit too. Maybe worn syncros already? I havn't check trana fluid level yet though.

I inspected my snap ring last week when I started noticing the problem and it's okay. I have lots of fluid in the clutch master. I have 49K on my 92. Could I too have a bad clutch slave? Or do you guys think it's a worn clutch. Clutch doesn't seem to be slipping.

As a rule of thumb for me, if it's 20 years old and it has'nt been serviced or replaced and if it will leave me stranded and if it's been a popular problematic topic on prime then I will replace it or service it. Small things like the clutchmaster/slave cylinders are things I replace as an insurance policy.:smile:

I too was infrequently getting grinding, but only when shifting into 2nd. Clutch feels a little weird/sticky sometimes, but not much. I'll bleed the system after Memorial Day weekend. Roughly how much does that cost to have the dealer or a indy mechanic do it? Don't think I have the skills to do that.

I too was infrequently getting grinding, but only when shifting into 2nd. Clutch feels a little weird/sticky sometimes, but not much. I'll bleed the system after Memorial Day weekend. Roughly how much does that cost to have the dealer or a indy mechanic do it? Don't think I have the skills to do that.

if you have the speed bleeder, should be easy. If not, you have to pump and squirt. YOu can even rebuild your old one by changing the O ring gasket, but its an NSX... use a new one (I keep my old ones just incase). Hopefully you didnt do a lot of grinding cause you can damage the sinchros.

Back